Gemini's Famous Foursome on the Ballot (November 5, 2012)

It's not surprising the Centurion is winning the poll, but the Galaxy seems to be winning this thread. It's surprising to me then that nearly as many people voted Tarsus and Orion as Galaxy on the front page!

I see the Centurion as one of the most powerful ships in Wing Commander, and if you count the RF upgrades, it may very well be the deadliest WC ship ever. Great firepower, good shields, great armor, good speed and maneuverability, potentially infinite afterburner, self-repair...

That said, I'm among those who voted for the Tarsus. It just feels especially satisfying when you complete difficult missions with it, and it also kind of forces you to think outside the box - you have to rely more on unconventional tactics if you want to have a decent chance of winning, like using asteroids to kill your enemies, or allying with the Kilrathi. Even the final battle against the Drone (which I find to be fairly easy in a Centurion) can feel truly epic when flying a Tarsus. And you sort of get a reward for completing Privateer with the Tarsus : because you haven't been spending any money on new ships, you'll likely end up with quite a lot of cash which you can use to upgrade your Tarsus in Righteous Fire. And while the Privateer Tarsus is one of the worst ships ever, the RF Tarsus is more like a killing machine (stronger than the Privateer Centurion, in my opinion, though still less powerful than the other RF ships). I remember being very surprised when I saw all the upgrades that were available for it...

You've totally inspired me to go back and complete Privateer and RF with the Tarsus. In the past I have breathed a huge sigh of relief when I finally had enough credits to buy a better ship, but now I'm going to go for that nostalgic feeling!

Back