Gemini Sector map

J. King

Spaceman
Earlier today someone in X-Wing land suggested I should share my SVG map of the Gemini Sector here for anyone interested. I constructed it back in 2007 back when Opera was the only Web browser capable of rendering SVG and I had to use special software to print it, so it's very basic. I've included the script I used to generate it, which also dates from that time, so it's not pretty. It should suffice if anyone wants to build something more fancy from it, though.

upload_2018-6-12_11-28-56.png

Attachments

• gemini.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 74
Good to see you both here.
The map is great, especially considering that it was done using a script. As I'm barely capable of scripting, I would've done it by hand in Illustrator. :)

Good to see you both here.
The map is great, especially considering that it was done using a script. As I'm barely capable of scripting, I would've done it by hand in Illustrator. :)
It was mostly done with hard work. ;) I took a composite of the in-game maps and noted the X,Y position (in pixels) of the center of each system ring, and then made a list of all the connections. I then wrote the script to put it all together with a default below-and-to-the-right text position, and then manually tweaked the text positions for those where text intersected particularly badly with the jump routes (these tweaks are included in the data, so the map is reproducible). Still after more than a decade I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I cheated a bit in that the star circles are simply painted over the intersections of the jump routes for a system. If you wanted to have a transparent map with hollow circles to look more like the in-game map, you'd have to add clipping regions to make the lines cut short, etc. That had originally been my plan, but I didn't have the patience to figure it all out at the time. I just wanted a map so I could play. ;)

Back