Gearbox buys Homeworld IP

This is wonderful news! Gearbox has a great reputation of reviving old franchises from the brink of developer bankruptcy. Look at what they managed to do with Duke Nukem Forev...

Never mind. Bad example. Anyway, I hope great spacey things come from the franchise returning to the hands of an active developer.

I've only ever played a couple of Gearbox's games, and those were the Half Life expansions Opposing Force and Blue Shift, so I'm a little out of touch with their stuff now, but I do look forward to seeing what they do with this.

While I've had a copy of Homeworld 2 for quite some time now, due to the way I play games, which tends to be sporadically and I'll stick with one game till I've beaten it, I haven't even installed Homeworld 2 yet to play it.

Claw formation locked in!

Also, relevant :D

Attachments

• Claw Formation.jpg
    Claw Formation.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 129
Thoughts?
Hmm.

I don't think Homeworld was ever really that huge as a franchise. There's a good reason why #3 kept getting delayed - it was a title that was probably likely to be mildly successful, but nowhere near enough, so development money went to higher priority projects that promised better returns.

However, if there was a time when a Homeworld sequel could conceivably get funded, it's now. This is exactly the kind of project that goes to Kickstarter, since it's one of those half-forgotten franchises that are unlikely to be too exciting for the mass market, but very interesting for the fans of the series. Conquest didn't do well on Kickstarter, but then again - Conquest was never anywhere near as successful as Homeworld.

They mention in the announcement that the first thing they want to do is to make available the "purest" (whatever that means) versions of the original games in digital format. Makes sense, as it gives them a chance to generate some hype before getting into the fundraising.

Of course, I could be wrong about this being a candidate for Kickstarter. The next generation of consoles is coming, and space games always had strong visuals (and relatively low costs), so this is a game that could conceivably be sold to a publisher as a good potential next-gen title.

I am concerned with their (apparent) complete lack of RTS experience. Gearbox have done some good things; Borderlands is a fantastic series, but all they've done to date are shooters.

I think Gearbox realizes they have a PR problem, being associated with DNF and Colonial Marines... and this is a pretty affordable way to get back some of the "gamer cred" they'd spent.

I think Gearbox realizes they have a PR problem, being associated with DNF and Colonial Marines... and this is a pretty affordable way to get back some of the "gamer cred" they'd spent.

Fair, but this is a two-edged sword; do any further damage to the Homeworld IP, and your gamer cred will tank even more.

Homeworld first person shooter? Please don't try to pull out the 2K's X-Com Gearbox. But then again there is always Hardware on the way, not the same and yet...

Back