Games that need sequels

A game just like that will happen someday, don't you have any doubts about that. Just as soon as the technology comes up. It'll happen faster than you think, just look how far MMRPG's have come in the past few years alone. And if a company doesn't make it then the WC community will create it themselves eventually. I say within the next ten years we'll be playing a Wing Commander themed online game.

And someday, SOMEDAY, it'll be really cool. You'll all don virtual goggles, sit down in a chair with a joystick, and dogfight Kilrathi. And you'll physically look right, and you'll be virtually looking out the starboard window. And so on and so forth. Virtual gaming like that will happen someday also, and after it becomes mainstream it's only a matter of time its Wing Commander themed. I give that 20 - 30 years.

Hm. Here I am getting myself excited over dream games. Oh well, 'tis a good dream.

RATM said:
Man my kids are going to look retarded in a chair like that.

I actually think goggles might be an archaic idea here. They seem logical for this situation because that would be how we would achieve this today, but by the time we get there, I think there will be better alternatives. Whatever sort of realistic looking image you can project and make seem real on goggles, you can do better with a large screen in front of you. If some futuristic technology made it cheap/easy to generate a large size 360 degree image around you, that'd be much more immersive than goggles. You could look down and see your own hands/feet/body. Surround sound could be more accurately represented. You could see and feel real props in your hands that interact with this simulated enclosed environment. 3D goggles are how they did it in the 1990s. By the time that sort of entertainment becomes mainstream, it'll be much better.

Yeah, one of the Star Trek technologies that I really that would be possible in my lifetime was the holodeck. Damn that would be cool! :)

Mav23 said:
Just spend your money on women. They aren't around as long as video games, but since there's no WC, you might as well get some action. :p
floundericiousMI said:
eehhh...I've got one of those too
Yeah, I've got one of those too- if a new WC game comes out, well.. $ can't buy me love, but it could buy me the new game!

Lt.Death100 said:
Yeah, one of the Star Trek technologies that I really that would be possible in my lifetime was the holodeck. Damn that would be cool! :)

That'd be f*%&^£g fantastic. Awww maaan, why can't we have fictional technologies like that, aside from the fact that they are fictional.

Thinking on, a holo-bedroom would be quite cool too, sleep wherever you want, and you could even generate some "entertainment."

But like I said, fictional, damn!

Lt.Death100 said:

The absolute hardest part of the holodeck would be the AI, second hardest would be realistic movement. I cant wait for the sex industry to get involved though, that would help the technology :D

Ed

Edx said:
The absolute hardest part of the holodeck would be the AI, second hardest would be realistic movement. I cant wait for the sex industry to get involved though, that would help the technology :D

Ed

That's one thing I'm sure of that parents of the 2X century would gladly never want to see the light of day...

The absolute hardest part of the holodeck would be the AI, second hardest would be realistic movement. I cant wait for the sex industry to get involved though, that would help the technology

Ed

and I don't think that just by tweaking AI would achieve the perfect result. Let alone, it may not be the actual application used to perfect a projected character (from a CG source) to make it more "real-life". After all, its fake.

Aside from that, would a Wing Commander RTS be any good. Perfect setting should be during Prophecy.

Well luckily for us they'll be the last generation of parents once that new technology gets popular. :p

Edx said:

Ed
1. Well by the time we have enough technology for holodeck I bet we'll have enough technology for realistic AI. :)
2. The sex industry is at work in some form or another almost everywhere. As long as there's enough pervs in the world there'll be a sex industry.

RogueBanshee said:
I would love a Privateer game set during WC IV.

A Privateer game set in any ere would be fantastic. The early 2670s would be an interesting era, with the war just over the trade routes would be more open than before the war. I can see that making for quite an interesting game.

Dundradal said:
A Privateer game set in any ere would be fantastic. The early 2670s would be an interesting era, with the war just over the trade routes would be more open than before the war. I can see that making for quite an interesting game.
Or just as the war started, where there would be a sudden need for wartime armaments and personell.

And don't forget the Black Lance, the elite force that were attacking our space during that time.

LeHah said:
LOAF and I were discussing this in brief earlier this week. It's a real shame that they're willing to put out a game "in the spirit" of such a classic as System Shock but are unwilling to actually make a SS sequel. I have as many fond memories of the first game as I do of Wing Commander.

I agree - loved the system shock series almost as much as i loved the Wing Commander series.
However the guys making Bioshock can't make it a SS2 sequal as they dont own the rights to it anymore. If Bioshock is successful you can bet EA will come along shortly afterwards and hash together some crap and call it SS3 to make some quick bucks.

gwydion said:
If Bioshock is successful you can bet EA will come along shortly afterwards and hash together some crap and call it SS3 to make some quick bucks.

Thats the absolute worst case scenario.

gwydion said:
If Bioshock is successful you can bet EA will come along shortly afterwards and hash together some crap and call it SS3 to make some quick bucks.

As fun as it is to hate EA for whatever reason, they don't "hash crap." If they did, they would go under very fast. Honestly, could you cite some of their titles in the last 5 years that have been "hashed crap?"

Back