Game Font Database

Discussion in 'General Wing Commander Chat' started by st3lt3k, Feb 12, 2011.

1. st3lt3k

st3lt3k Rear Admiral

I saw that there is a Game Font Database with 252 total fonts from 463 games but none from Wing Commander.

I am posting this because others may find this interesting and the appropriate people may want to submit some Wing Commander fonts (I don't want to submit fonts that I wasn't involved with and ruffle any Firekkan feathers).

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
  2. Shaggy

Shaggy Vice Admiral

That's kind of cool. A lot of those fonts I've seen one other sites so I don't think their too concerned about ruffling feathers.
    I'd like to see someone update some of the fonts. In particular the Heretic and Sinestar fonts are blocky and pixelated because that's how they appeared on the original title screen. Between cabinet art and box art someone could put together some very pretty smooth fonts.

StumpDrummer likes this.
  3. Wedge009

Wedge009 Rogue Leader

Shades is the expert on the various fonts, but I've been using Stop for Wing Commander titles and such, Loxx isn't as close as Stop. He also lent me the use of a font for the Prophecy ICIS manual, but I'm not sure if it's okay to publish, since a lot of fonts require payment to use.

StumpDrummer likes this.
  4. Shaggy

Shaggy Vice Admiral

There's one called Galactican that is dead perfect for the classic WC font. With the gradient and lighting effects, and a little work, in Paint Shop Pro I can almost perfectly recreate the logo from the original boxart. I haven't found anything close to the lettering for WCP, in particular I'd like to find one that matches the one used on the wor Prophecy on the boxart.

5. ChrisReid

ChrisReid Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

6. st3lt3k

st3lt3k Rear Admiral

I think that Stop and Galactican are both very close to the early Wing Commander main font. Slicker looks futuristic while still being easily readable.

I noticed that WCII uses different fonts for numbers. These WCII numbers are very close to Data 70 and Computerfont:
    [​IMG]

but another font is used for the hull numbers in WCII:
    [​IMG]

7. StumpDrummer

StumpDrummer Spaceman

I think the font im thinking about is on the beginning movie part for Prophecy on a stone tablet or something...its been years...yep gotta do the whole series again..gettin itchy!!

8. capi3101

capi3101 Rear Admiral

WCRPG is using a combination of Stop, Slicker and Futura; Stop's primarily for the chapter headers and the Slicker/Futura combo gives it the look of the Prophecy/Secret Ops cluebooks.

I think what you're wanting is the Kilrathi font they used in Prophecy though, right? Can't help you there; somebody else might have access to it still.

9. FekLeyrTarg

FekLeyrTarg Commodore

Anyone still interested in the Kilrathi font from "Prophecy" can download Aginor's font here:
    https://www.wcnews.com/news/2014/06/21/quick-brown-fox

Also, if you wish to imitate the headers of the letters to the editor found in Star*Soldier, you can do so by using Carlito bold:
    https://fontlibrary.org/de/font/carlito

Recommended settings for Carlito bold:
    Capital letters: 12px
    Small letters: Replace with capital letters 10px
    Color: medium-dark blue (0087cf or R: 0, G: 136, B: 207)