Game crashes immediately in both Winows 7 x64 and XP x86

mx597turbo

Spaceman
I have a dual boot system, with both Win7 x64 and XP x86. I get the same thing in both:

Standoff screen, loading data, then crash to desktop.

My ststem:
Core 2 duo
ATI 4870x2
4gb ram

Set to Win95 compatibility.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

So you see the Standoff splash screen, then "Loading Data..." and it crashes before playing the introduction movie?

Have you managed to get the game to launch before or is this your first attempt?

If you haven't already, you could try some of the alternate routines/options for the OpenGL renderer.

Care to give us your drivers version please ? The OpenGL worked with drivers newer than may-june 2009 IIRC, but some newer versions seems to have broken it, I am currently investigating it.

I got it to run in Win7 x64. I had to use d3d.

You mention in the original post that you have compatibility settings set to Win 95, have you tried the "98/ME" option? I've a Win7 x64 machine and Standoff works just great with the nvidia card without needing Direct 3D mode. Standoff has never so much as stuttered under Win7 for me.

So far, WC wise, I've found it the most backward compatible O/S Microsoft have come up with in recent times, along with the latest DosBOX there's no WC title it won't run now.

I experimented a few things with AD a few days ago and realized I had made a bunch of bad assumptions on how to set 64bits registry values from a 32bits app. So I found a PC at work running 64bits I could remotely access from home and finally made a bunch of tests to make it work correctly. I fixed my installer and launcher and it should work correctly on 64bits Windows now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I posted the fix as an autoupdate, so starting the launcher should automatically update your game with the proper fixes.

I also added a compatibility flag so that people running Windows with Data Execution Prevention set to all applications (both on 3 and 64 bits Windows) should have no worries either.

Back