Future of Niche PC Game development

Zelvik

Rear Admiral
This question has for some time flying around my brain. What will be the future of the niche markets in PC Gaming? As I understand it, revenue from PC gaming has decreased over the last years and at the same time concentrated around some specific brands like World of Warcraft (at least shop sales show that, how much sales there are on the net is not covered by many of those statistics). So what is going to happen to PC game development ouside those few cash cows in the next years? We have seen quite a bit of freeware and open source development going on in the last half decade that partly provided new games, partly recreated old classics to be played on modern computers. But many projects just died after a couple of months or years without a finished or at least half finished product. Some of those finished provided fun playtime, some new interesting concepts, but many just were subpar to even those products they tried to emulate from the early 90ties.

But Id say the overall quality of freeware and open source games improved over the last years. Wing Commander has had its fair share of such ventures (partly mods of existing games, partly self produced engines). So with the prospect of not getting new games in ones favourite genre will we just see these genres slowly dying out until a surprising success may revive them (or not), or will development of such titles shift to noncommercial "hobby" producers? With decreasing quality of many releases in the Space Sim genre the door seems open for those projects to compete with commercial developers, which in the end might discourage them even more to invest into games within the genre (having to compete against free games can be problematic if they have a certain level of quality). Or will something new develop in the next years in game development mixing commercial development and hobby programers into a new form of industry?

There is a lot of space gaming projects in development and already out right now. You just have to know where to look :)

What will be the future of the niche markets in PC Gaming?

Those that work knowing they're targeting a small market seem to be doing just fine. The ones thinking their niche is mainstream, not so much.

So what is going to happen to PC game development ouside those few cash cows in the next years?

...the same thing that's been happening outside the cash cows for the past 10 years. Really, the people with the money need to get over trying to one-up Blizzard's subscription-based social network. It was only cute watching the WoW-killers try to walk and fall flat on their face for the first two years.

There is a lot of space gaming projects in development and already out right now. You just have to know where to look :)

I didnt say there was no development going on. Actually I wanted to start a discussion on how the future of Space Sim development (and other genres that didnt see much light in the recent past) will look like. If you look through your own links section, if you deduct the classics, the amount of freeware non commercial games is quite high id say. Several FSO total conversions (WC-Saga, Diaspora), B5:IvFH, Vega Strike, Celestia and probably some more that I never heard of.

So you seem to be quite involved in the Space Sim genre. I put out some questions to discuss about, whats your opinion on the future?

I didnt say there was no development going on. Actually I wanted to start a discussion on how the future of Space Sim development (and other genres that didnt see much light in the recent past) will look like. If you look through your own links section, if you deduct the classics, the amount of freeware non commercial games is quite high id say. Several FSO total conversions (WC-Saga, Diaspora), B5:IvFH, Vega Strike, Celestia and probably some more that I never heard of.

So you seem to be quite involved in the Space Sim genre. I put out some questions to discuss about, whats your opinion on the future?

Hey Zelvik

When I started my site I thought it would be some what easy to keep up on general info on projects, and then I started digging and now i'm buried and I never have time to play anything or even write about them all :) Now i'm not just talking about 3D space shooters, but rpg, 4x, mmo's, etc..

Some of the games you listed are great and hopefully all continue to be successful and get completed. Here is a few more you might want to take a look at (most under development): Heresy War, Naumchia Space Warfare, Northstar, Precursors, Combat Simulation System, Evochron Legends, Jumpgate Evolution, Black Prophecy, Star Trek Online, Miner Wars, Taikodom, Infinity Quest for Earth.

Those are just some of the more major efforts, there is a lot of indie projects as well. Do I think Space games are coming back? In my opinion yes I do. I talk with a bunch of developers/modders and all are excited and motivated for feedback and getting there game in peoples hands. Like ArcNebula that game is being developed by a great bunch of guys for the iPhone/Ipod Touch (PSP and Android OS) and what they will be doing with that game on a iPhone is amazing. And Scratt is a great guy and answers all the posts. I try to contact all the developers and encourage them to post any updates and try to be involved. Now it's just getting the space gaming fans to get involved and notice what is out there.

All in all some great work is happening. All we need now is for EA to release the Wing Commander/Privateer property to someone that will do something with it :)

I was just commenting on SSC today that exposure is starting to happen because now up to 30K+ visitors a month. So who knows where the scene will be in a year once most of those games I listed will be out next year.....

-D1-

Back