Funny things or: life is strage!

Deacan

Commodore
Funny things or: life is strange!

I am an outspoken atheist and I really like a program on the net called "the atheist experience". Its on the air nearly every sunday...

Well, one of the cohosts of that show is a man named Jeff Dee, who's rants are quite funny. I did know about this man that he works in the game industry... But what I did not know was that he was one of the guys behind Wing Commander II - and so he is my "hero" on 2 reasons now...

last show with Jeff Dee

Yes, he wears a shirt with the Origin Systems Logo on it - he also talks a bit about his work on that company.

You see: life is strange somehow...

Well, I had half an hour to kill while waiting for another Standoff build to upload, so I watched that game design rant by Jeff Dee - pretty disappointing.

I believe in God, but I can certainly understand why someone else might believe God doesn't exist. What I can't for the life of me figure out is why an atheist would want to create (or watch) a show like this. Good grief, have they really nothing better to do than rant all day long about someone they don't believe in? :p

It's like proclaiming you don't believe there is such a thing as waffles with avocado... and then spending the rest of your life talking about how terrible waffles with avocado would taste.

(but it is nice of you to bring this up - always interesting to see what the Origin vets are up to these days, even if they're wasting their time this way :))

Well, I had half an hour to kill while waiting for another Standoff build to upload, so I watched that game design rant by Jeff Dee - pretty disappointing.

I believe in God, but I can certainly understand why someone else might believe God doesn't exist. What I can't for the life of me figure out is why an atheist would want to create (or watch) a show like this. Good grief, have they really nothing better to do than rant all day long about someone they don't believe in? :p

It's like proclaiming you don't believe there is such a thing as waffles with avocado... and then spending the rest of your life talking about how terrible waffles with avocado would taste.

(but it is nice of you to bring this up - always interesting to see what the Origin vets are up to these days, even if they're wasting their time this way :))

Its definitly an American thing. With all that creationism vs. evolution and the impact of "religion" has in everyday government its probably worth their time.

Allthough I believe in God as well I get a laugh out of it when evangelicals try to disprove science with a literal interpretation of scripture.

True that. Speaking as an America, it's getting to be that I can't walk down the street without some evangelical Christian politician trying to sell me on the merits of atheism. I just wish this stupid backwards country could learn the lessons about togetherness and forthright social thinking that all the... oh, come on, people--it's interesting to see where an artist who worked on Wing Commander II is now... do not use this thread for grinding whatever particular loser axe you dug out of your closet this morning.

It's a conspiracy. Origin was God - they created worlds. He's a fake atheist since he himself is a diety. But it's a secret so don't tell anyone k?

The great thing about this clip is that it feels like Austin -- there isn't anywhere else where you'd have sorta-cheesy homemade TV shows like this taken kinda-seriously in the 21st century. Just its... existence, I guess... should give you something of a feel for the culture that spawned Origin and Wing Commander.

The bit I highlighted is a bit silly. I can prove the existence of waffles with avodado. If you can prove the existence of god, I'll take your analogy in good faith.

Not to miss the point though...

I'd imagine Atheists do this because they are tired of having religion (particularly christianity in the western world) shoved down their throats at every turn. Seriously, most of UK and US culture is influenced heavily by religion.
I'm no christian (though I was brought up in a christian fellowship (make of that what you will)) nor am I an atheist, but when I'm out shopping and I see one of those people giving a sermon via loudspeaker about how god created this for us all and how we are all going to hell (as we definitely should) I want to get my own speaker system and drown them out with the loudest heavy metal music that I can, because while I agree with freedom of speech, I don't want this shoved down my throat while I'm shopping for socks.

Anyway, back to the topic...

If you can prove the existence of god, I'll take your analogy in good faith.

I'd say that this approach is by definition impossible. It actually should be fairly easy to PROVE that you cannot prove the existence of god.

I'd say that this approach is by definition impossible. It actually should be fairly easy to PROVE that you cannot prove the existence of god.
That's great... but I also cannot prove the existence of your great-great-great-grandmother (...and neither can you!), so where does that leave us? :) "You can't prove God exists" is an intellectual cheapshot that atheists use to make their blind faith seem rational. There is a great, great deal of things and people out there whose existence cannot be proven, and yet has never been questioned.

In the interest of not trashing up this thread any further, and not taking up any more of my own time when I should be fixing Standoff bugs - I'll be very, very happy to discuss this subject by mail, by PM, or publically in the off-topic forum... but only after Standoff is released ;). So, if any WC atheist out there still remembers this subject by the middle of next week, and wishes to challenge my beliefs by attempting to prove the rationality of theirs, just let me know then :).

I'll be very, very happy to discuss this subject by mail, by PM, or publically in the off-topic forum... but only after Standoff is released ;). So, if any WC atheist out there still remembers this subject by the middle of next week, and wishes to challenge my beliefs by attempting to prove the rationality of theirs, just let me know then :).

By it's very nature, I'm sure you all know this particular topic is skirting the edges of the Forum rules. It has been mildly tolerated so far because of the WC/Origin connection. Step lightly if you don't want a vaction, and by *NO MEANS* start a new thread about this.

Back