Freespace (was HL2 thread)

criticalmass said:
Ironically, that's exactly my sentiment in it, Milo. A half-dead human being stuck to the ceiling in a room, screaming in agony, is quite a terrifying statement - and I've heard most of the people playing Doom3 saying that sooner or later they need to stop playing because it gets too much on their nerves.
That doesn't ever happen with the absurdly non-human bugs in FS or WC, where killing is depicted less in effect, and only in means; a mere strategy game.
(Aside: ...not that strategy games aren't also insanely popular.)

OK, I guess games like Doom and Quake show that people will buy an action game without much story, as long as the game has enough action and atmosphere to compensate and keep them entertaining. Do you think that is also true of space sims? Or do space sims really have to include a feature-length FMV/CGI movie to go along with the mindless destruction?

Freespace, was lacking in atmoshere and setting for me... never got my imagination going. Thus the game was somewhat boring for me.

Conrad, I think that was true for a lot of people, not just you. The issue I'm getting at is why it was lacking and how other games can avoid that in the future. I don't think that FMV/CGI cut scenes are the answer per se. I found Prophecy to be rather sterile in comparison to WC3, which I thought was much more atmospheric. The cut scenes in Starfleet Academy were really dreadful, but they did provide just enough Trekiness to keep that game from being the complete disaster that it deserved to be.

So if cut scenes are not sufficient for atmosphere, are they nevertheless still necessary? I don't know. Obviously Elite and Doom 1 managed to generate plenty of voltage without even so much as a bad voice actor, but those were simpler days.

Maj.Striker said:
Regardless, at that time there was absolutely no good provocation for anyone to declare war on Germany.
Oh, but there was plenty of good reasons. For example, I have here a few books, written in the 1920s (!!), which argue that within two decades, Poland will be crushed by Germany and Russia, and France will fall next. So people weren't completely oblivious to what was going on (as one French general put it after Versailles: "this isn't a peace treaty, this is a twenty year armistice"). Here, read this speech from 1936 - it lays out as clear as day the need for military action (only to shoot it down with a lame-brained "we should persuade France to negotiate with the guy I just said cannot be trusted").
However, this was a war that neither France nor Britain wanted - so they deluded themselves into believing that Hitler was a nice guy who was going to magically hop over Poland without hurting it, and run off into the east chasing after Stalin. And that, I would say, pretty much proves my original point - that the millions of so-called casualties of WWII are actually casualties of the peace-movement.

Your ascertainment that Polish forces had technological military equivalency or superiority is very tainted though.
Oh, very tainted, right - what a cute way of implying I'm biased because I'm Polish. An implication I don't appreciate in the least, given your apparent ignorance on this matter - which we will discuss below.

The Polish calvary divisions though perhaps equal in number were no match for the German tanks. They would have been slaughtered on the plains of Poland in 1936 just as they were in 1939. Three years would not have made a noticeable difference there.
The German army was built from scratch from 1935 onwards. Those four years made the difference from Germany having 100,000 men and no tanks or planes to having 1,600,000 men, 2,600 tanks, and 2,000 planes - surely, you cannot possibly be under the impression that the German army was magically rebuilt over the course of one year, and then spent the remaining three years waiting patiently for Hitler to gather up the courage to go to war? If yes, allow me to shatter that myth.

I honestly don't know how many tanks and armoured vehicles Poland or Germany had in 1936, but I can tell you a tank is not something you build overnight - so Germany, which barely even had an army at that point, was at a disadvantage. It is also important to consider that tanks in 1936 (or indeed, 1939) were not as fast, powerful or well armoured as they became later, and so they did not pose as much of a threat.

In 1936, the German army was roughly 300,000 conscripts - and no reserves to mobilise, because conscription had only been introduced in 1935, so anyone that could be put into uniform without three months of basic training already was in uniform. Poland, on the other hand, had a pitifully small standing army of 350,000... but it had the capability to mobilise a million men at a few weeks notice - people who had been conscripted in the previous years, and so actually knew which end of a gun to point at the enemy.
(footnote: by 1938, Germany had a standing army of 600,000 men - more than the Polish standing army, but less than the combined forces of Poland, Czechoslovakia, and France)

Three other things are worth noting. Firstly, the "cavalry against tanks" thing is a myth. The Polish army may have been poorly equipped in 1939, but it wasn't stupid - you don't charge a tank. The cavalry was a blitzkrieg weapon - it had better striking power than infantry (especially given that many cavalry units had light artillery), and it was much faster... but you don't charge tanks with it, because cavalry units had enough heavy weaponry to deal with tanks the, ahem, new-fashioned way.
(footnote: in 1939, Poland lost about 200,000 men, the Germans lost about 50,000; in 1940, France lost 390,000 men, the Germans lost about 35,000. So Poland, whose army was smaller but included more cavalry, lost less troops and inflicted more casualties... what was that you said about cavalry getting slaughtered?)
(second footnote: during WWII, Germany also used cavalry troops - IIRC, they reached upwards of 500,000 in numbers; the Soviets also used cavalry, in even greater numbers; truly, cavalry was an obsolete formation that nobody used any more :p)

Secondly, the Polish air force (which is a particular interest of mine) was in 1936-38 at its absolute peak. It so happens that, at this time, it had some of the best fighter planes in the world (just about every country in the Balkans bought their planes from Poland). Yes, the new German planes were superior, but in March 1936, they were only just getting into production - the Bf109 fighter was in prototype stages. The infamous Stuka didn't exist at all yet, and neither did most of its other planes, which would for the most part only begin prototype testing in 1936 or later. So here, too, Poland stood superior - we had a small air force, but a good one, while they had... well, an air farce.

Finally, that was a comparison of Poland and Germany - and while I believe I've made it clear that Poland could have taken out Germany single-handed in 1936, I'm going to add a few words about France - because, I'll remind you, I originally said that Poland didn't go to war because France was unwilling to support them, so any speculation about the outcome of that war must include the French. I'll keep this brief, though.
In 1939, France had 900,000 men, with 5,000,000 more ready for mobilisation. That's... a lot. Dunno about 1936, but the French didn't invest much in their military at this time, so it likely wasn't much less. In 1936 or even 1938, the French wouldn't have had tanks at all, but if Germany had to defend both the west and east, German tanks (if there was any) would not have been a big issue. You mentioned the Germans having good leaders. Yes, absolutely - but what good would they have been, in the face of a technologically and numerically-superior foe attacking from two (or three, if we count the Czechs) directions?

So, feel free to dispute whether Poland would have been able to do it alone (no, wait, scratch that - please don't dispute it, I don't want to debate this secondary issue any more than necessary :p), but the fact that Germany could have been easily defeated by the combined forces of Poland and France even as late as 1939 is entirely beyond dispute - and that's all that matters here, since my original argument was that it was the French and British unwillingness to go to war that cost the world some 50 million people.

My apologies for the long post. I tried to keep it brief - honest :p.

Good post, I liked it. Your estimates on German strength is off though...

Hitler ordered the army to be trebled in size, from the 100,000 man Versailles Treaty limit, to 300,000 men by October of 1934. This was initially ordered to be carried out under the utmost secrecy. Admiral Raeder, the chief of the navy, was given orders to begin the construction of large warships, way above the maximum size decreed by the Versailles Treaty. The construction of submarines, also forbidden by the Treaty, had already begun secretly by building parts in foreign dockyards ready for assembly. In addition, Goering had also been tasked by Hitler with the training of air force pilots and the design of military aircraft. In March 1935 Hitler decided to take a gamble and test the resolve of Britain and France by authorising Goering to reveal to a British official the existence of the Luftwaffe (German Air Force). Even though this was a direct challenge to the Versailles Treaty, there was little reaction (its existence was already known anyway). Thus Hitler was given encouragement to take further steps. A few days later, Hitler took a further gamble and declared openly the introduction of military service and the creation of an army with 36 divisions (approx. 1/2 million men). Again, a weak reaction from Britain and France allowed Hitler the comfort of knowing that his gamble had paid off. At the same time that Hitler was increasing the strength of the armed forces, he was also following a policy of making speeches proclaiming a desire for peace and the folly of war. He also announced that he had no intention of annexing Austria or re-militarising the Rhineland and would respect all the territorial clauses of the Versailles Treaty. Hitler also announced that he was prepared to mutually disarm the heaviest of weapons and limit the strength of the German Navy. A quote from Hitler at that time: "Whoever lights the torch of war in Europe can wish for nothing but chaos."

The above quote was taken from the biography on Adolph Hitler by John Toland, a very interesting book, worth reading. The Germans had half a million troops before they even marched into Austria...

Maj.Striker said:
Good post, I liked it. Your estimates on German strength is off though...
Eh now, while I can't claim to have cross-checked my info using multiple sources or anything like that, what I said was for the most part reasonably accurate. For example, it doesn't especially matter when the Luftwaffe was established - what matters is that the planes it used in 1939 were put into service after the Rhineland crisis. It's safe to assume, of course, that before these planes appeared the Luftwaffe certainly wasn't a bunch of guys sitting around an empty hangar, but the technological difference between their planes and what the Polish flew in 1936 was possibly even sharper than the difference between the German Luftwaffe of 1939 and the Polish air force which was still flying the same planes (oh, excuse me, with fifty thousand upgrades along the way, silly Border Worlders :rolleyes: ). Similarly, while Hitler had indeed announced the great new German army in 1935, there's a long way from announcing something to actually creating it. The fact that he originally ordered the trebling of the army's size in secrecy is pretty indicative of how things looked - unless you know of a way of hiding two hundred thousand men in uniform, you have to agree that most likely this order meant building up the army infrastructure (officers, et cetera) in preparation for the open introduction of conscription, when the army would reach the 300,000 size openly. In any case, the German army was capable of training roughly 300,000 conscripts a year - so if conscription was introduced in March 1935, the highest possible estimate of total German strength by the time of the Rhineland crisis was about 300,000 conscripts, plus whatever they had before. Even if we assume they had 300,000 (but they didn't, because you really can't hide 200,000 men in a barn), the end result is still a mere 600,000, which is a little less than Poland's 1,350,000 men (350,000 plus conscripts). There's just no comparison - Germany would have been screwed.

So why didn't Poland go it alone, you ask? In 1920, Poland came damn near to a total defeat against the Soviets, because the imbecillic peace movement in Western Europe was outraged at Polish 'aggression' against 'Russia', and British dock workers blocked shipment of supplies to Poland with a strike. Only Hungary offered Poland unconditional assistance... and weren't able to deliver it, because the Czechs refused to let it through their territory. The same would have happened in 1936 had Poland attacked Germany without diplomatic support from the West - perhaps Poland would have won anyway, but more likely they would simply not have enough resources to achieve a total victory.

So, there you have it - I've said it a dozen times already in this thread, but I'll say it again: the pacifists are responsible for all the casualties of WWII.

(hehe, amusing question - does that mean Poland should be demanding war reparations from France and Britain, rather than Germany? :p)

hehe, amusing question - does that mean Poland should be demanding war reparations from France and Britain, rather than Germany? :p

Big thumbs up on that from me! :p No, seriously, I don't think it would be a good idea to piss each other off with such discussions. It's just no good for mutual relationships, like some Germans wanting Eastern Prussia, Pomerania and Slesia (sp?) back...that wouldn't probably be a good idea anyway since we've had some bad experiences with reuniting with eastern terretories lately :rolleyes:

Quarto said:
So, there you have it - I've said it a dozen times already in this thread, but I'll say it again: the pacifists are responsible for all the casualties of WWII.

(hehe, amusing question - does that mean Poland should be demanding war reparations from France and Britain, rather than Germany? :p)

Well, I'd definitely like to see that case come before the United Nations :)

I agree with you, I absolutely believe that a general feeling of "peacemongering" in the nations of England, France, Poland and Czechloslavakia pretty much screwed them over since they allowed Germany to evolve in the military giant it eventually became. You are right, if at the time of the Rhineland crisis, these nations would have shown some military strength forcefully against Germany then things would have been different. Namely, Germany would have pulled back (the troops that entered were given orders to fall back if challenged by enemy troops). I guess the only point I am trying to make is that even if a full fledged war had broke out in 1936 instead of 1939 then it would still have been one hell of a rumble. As I mentioned before, it would likely be that the Russians would have joined with Germany for the right price and then we would wind up with another big bloody drawn out battle.

I got another argument to support that theory: In our history class back in school, I've learnt that the OKW (Wehrmacht High Command) had plans worked out to topple Hitler in case that England or France would declare war on Germany after its invasion of Czechoslovakia. As we know, they did not, so one can really say that trying to keep peace at all costs was not the best thing to do.

BTW, I find this discussion very interesting (funny how a HL-2 thread can turn out :p ), especially the what-if-theories like what would have happened if Germany hadn't supported Italy in Greeca, Yugoslavia and North Africa and instead commenced its attack on Russia in time, or what if Hitler had not always intervened in his generals' decisions? I'm really interested in such thoughts, maybe someone should make a game out of them?

Back