FreeSpace to WCP conversion

Woolie Wool

Spaceman
I was thinking that since Wing Commander is being ported to FreeSpace 2, why not port FreeSpace to Prophecy?

First of all, can you import TrueSpace models into Prophecy or use them in any way? I do not own 3DSMax or WCP (only WC1, WC2, and a copy of WC3 that doesn't work on my computer), but I can convert the FreeSpace *.POF files to TS *.COB files easily enough.

Second, does WCP have any engine limits? FS models, especially some of the custom stuff, have rather high polycounts--sometimes 1000 or more polies for the really big ships.

Anyway, here's what I have planned:
-A small campaign to show off some of the FS stuff
-Over 100 ships, spanning nine decades from 2310 to 2400 and beyond and ranging from the 12-meter-long Dragon to juggernauts many kilometers long.
-Fly as a Terran pilot against rebel Terrans, the Vasudans, and the enigmatic and frightening Shivans.
-Fly ships ranging from the smallest of fighters to bombers that dwarf an Exeter from WC1 (the 90-meter-wide GTB Notus superbomber from the Inferno campaign)
-Unleash an arsenal of weaponry to the puny ML-16 Laser to the devastating Khonsu GV-5 cannon, and from tiny Fury dumbfire missiles to the enormous Armageddon bomb (the name is fitting)
-And of course, we can't leave out one of the coolest things in FreeSpace, the devastating capital-ship-mounted photon beam cannons that make WC cap weapons look like pop guns (watching 6km juggernauts pound each other with ENORMOUS beams is a truly awesome sight)

How does that sound? :D

Uh, I don't get it - why would you want to do this? Given that the FS2 engine is so much newer than WCP, and considering that (unlike WCP) the FS2 engine is designed specifically for the FS universe, what could possibly induce anyone to attempt a mod like this? :confused:

Isnt there a freeware version available? IIRC Volition freewared it and it is available in something as small as a 200 meg file, and someone on FS2: the Babylon Project cranked out a 100-meg-ish core file set specifically for their mod.

Back