Freespace 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1nG Gr4H4m

Spaceman
A little news on action trip .

---------

Derek Smart wants to develop Freespace 3 [Uros "2Lions" Jojic] 10:56am(GMT)
Anonymous writes "Derek Smart has announced his intention to buy the Freespace game rights from Interplay, and develop Freespace 3. He stated so in a forum thread on AVault.
Thread Here

There is a discussion on the subject over at Hard Light Prooduction, the single biggest Freespace community.
Thread Here

When asked about concerns among fans regarding the direction of the (potential) game, Mr. Smart said:

If I wanted to make a Freespace 3 title, I don't think me checking in with a group of fans going in a different direction is in the best interests of my end goal. I mean, think about it. They're making something from someone else's code base. They have their own plans, ideas, goals and whatnot - none of which will ever reach the critical mass that would warrant a full retail effort. Ever. I have absolutely NO intentions of using ANY of the Freespace2 source code because its legacy and its just going to be trouble from the word go. My plan - if I get it - is to start from scratch with a clean slate and only the Freespace mythos, backstory and assets (e.g. the ship types, names, dimensions etc) as a starting point.

And on the subject of his often-criticized ego, he had this to say:

"Yes, I have an ego. But thats not MY problem to deal with. I am quite comfortable with it just the way I am. I am an Alpha male. A leader. Not some snivelling idiot who gets to be anyone's bitch or Yes- man. Having an ego is a pre-requisite for being a stong person. Most people who bandy the word ego around, have to frigging clue WHAT it even means. The word itself has just been passed down from one uninformed and ignorant generation to the next. Next time you get the chance, find out what the word really means and you will immediately see how out of place and out of context it is as is popularly used. Yes, I have an ego. Deal with it. I don't have a problem with it. So why should I care what a bunch of people think?"

For more on the interesting turn of events, go to Hard Light Productions."

What's the matter with Derek Smart? Why does he want to torture us like this? What kind of sick, sinister mind would want to do this to a great franchise like Freespace?

Is there no God? What happened to divine intervention? Deus Ex Machina?? ANYTHING?! Who will stop him!?!

------

Anyone wants to buy the Wing Commander rights?

The Wing Commander rights aren't for sale.

But look on the bright side: if they ever are, no matter who buys them it will be better than this.

He can make it, but he can't make me buy it or accept it as legitimate. Maybe someday the guys at Volition will tell us what they had in mind for FS3, and then the people who actually enjoy FS will be able to use the sourcecode to make it. And I heartily agree: stay away from my Wing Commander, Mr. Smart. You have to realize that the fans love this stuff. It would be like refilming Starwars with Jim Carrey as Luke Skywalker. It just wouldn't be right. Games, ultimately, are about the people who play them.
Sphynx

From what I've seen of Mr. Smart (from this and a thread he posted at TLR prior to Freelancer's release) he's a pompous moron...

I hope he makes a good space sim, but I just loved the answer he gave to that dumbass an0n that lurked here a while ago:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by an0n
I think he fails to realise we're the only people who'd actually buy the thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Derek Smart´s answer: )
How can I forget the group of people who couldn't make Freespace2 a retail success worthy of its effort? Do you REALLY want to go there?

Well, he's telling the same people to go fuck themselves who I've always sincerely believed should go fuck themselves... but somehow, the entire concept is too cruel for even me to embrace. With that in mind, I have penned...

An Open Letter to the Freespace Community

Dear Freespace Jerks,
I know we've had our differences. Like all the times we've made fun of the big capships guy, or the times we've called your game a soulless Prophecy ripoff. Or even the times we photographed ourselves ripping apart copies of Freespace 2 with our bare teeth... but I'm not here to make fun of Freespace today.

Sure, your game killed any interest in space sims and in so doing killed a lot of viable Wing Commander products. We'll never play Strike Team or Shadow Force or Privateer Online, partially because of Freespace. I really hate you for that; I probably always will.

And sure, in my heart of hearts I've wanted to see you suffer the same fate in some fashion. I've thought and dreamed about that for a long time. Heck, when the news about Fallout 3 came out I hoped someone would buy the Descent license and start churning out generic budget clones.

So let me say this - never, ever, in my most sadistic revenge fantasies could I have ever wished a fate such as Dr. Derek Smart upon you. As a key figure in the varied fan conflicts and as an accepted representative of the Wing Commander community as a whole let me say: I am truly, truly sorry for what has happened.

The Wing Commander community stands with you at this dark hour.

Long Live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick

Starkey said:
I just loved the answer he gave to that dumbass an0n that lurked here a while ago:

Regardless of what I think of Derek Smart or the other guys, good or bad (I don't want to get involved in this affair and I'm not taking sides), there's this sort of sick satisfying feeling in seeing two sides who deserve getting a taste of their own medicine do it to each other.

Well, as I mentioned. I have experienced firsthand Mr. Smart's arrogance on another website (TLR before the Freelancer release...). So I know he's somewhat of a moron however...reading those comments posted, I'm not so sure if he truly stated that. I skimmed through most of it but it seemed to me in the beginning he was stating that he didn't not make those statements and that he was merely interested in obtaining the permission to create a "Freespace-based" game. Despite what I think personally of Mr. Smart I have to believe this somewhat. Though he is egotistical and arrogant beyond all reason, Mr. Smart is a business man and as a such he would know better than to go onto a fan site of a title that he's hoping to purchase, insult everyone on it then produce a game and expect them to buy it. It's not good business sense. Also, as a business man, he wouldn't make a threat he couldn't back up...such as threatening that fan made project. I think it's quite possible someone else is making those statements.

P.S. Loaf, I think your letter to the Freespace crew would likely just insult them more...:)

Have you read the comments from the Freespace fans (both on their own board and elsewhere)? Most of them are provocative, childish or downright vile. I don't think it will make any difference in sales if a dozen 12-year-olds are angry with him.

holy mary mother of god.

i am a fan of freespace and i have always wanted something to close up fs2's storyline, but nothing, NOTHING! could have prepared for the sheer terror that has been brought upon us.

Maj.Striker said:
Mr. Smart is a business man and as a such he would know better than to go onto a fan site of a title that he's hoping to purchase, insult everyone on it then produce a game and expect them to buy it.

Hey yeah! It's not like he's never been known to get into idiotic arguments with potential customers before!

Of course, that doesn't really matter, since 99.873% of people don't care at all if Derek Smart insults people in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim

I agree with d3r3k, I really enjoyed the Freespace 1 and 2 plot and was and still am anticipating an Freespace 3, but definately not from Derek Smart. I wish Volition would stop making crap RPG's (summoner) and half-assed FPS's (red faction) and get back to what gave them the backing to branch out to begin with.

Post edited. Keep it civilised.

TC said:
Of course, that doesn't really matter, since 99.873% of people don't care at all if Derek Smart insults people in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim

Or everywhere else ...

Well.. if he does get (or has gotten) the rights to FS3, at least we know it will be 5 or more years before anything comes of it..

-J

Capn Johnny said:
Well.. if he does get (or has gotten) the rights to FS3, at least we know it will be 5 or more years before anything comes of it..

-J

And it'll come with missing features that he'll blame on the publishers who he signed up with to distribute the game... or else he'll re-release it later after it's been eclipsed by the next, greatest thing in gaming... :D

TC said:

your right, I only care if he insults me in comp.sys.Ibm.fluffyrodents now that would start a problem

Post edited. Keep it civilised.

Maj.Striker said:
Though he is egotistical and arrogant beyond all reason, Mr. Smart is a business man and as a such he would know better than to go onto a fan site of a title that he's hoping to purchase, insult everyone on it then produce a game and expect them to buy it. It's not good business sense. Also, as a business man, he wouldn't make a threat he couldn't back up...such as threatening that fan made project. I think it's quite possible someone else is making those statements.

Umm.. are you serious? All that shit is stuff Derek Smart is notorious for doing repeatedly.

I started this week not knowing who Derek Smart was. This morning I investigated. Tonight I sleep with the terrible knowledge that G-Dub's "Evildoers" in fact exist in the gaming world as well. I have but this to say towards the "Evildoers":
Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back