Freelancer

Ghost

Emperor
I downloaded a movie (18 mb) from a German Games Convention, and it shows the gameplay of freelancer, it looks cool, very good graphics,explosions,etc
But it *feels* odd, the cockpit looks like the control panel of Armada or Armada2 (RTS) and the targeting system seems that is like the FPS ones (with a mouse) and the ship *moves* with orders.
I don´t know you, but this is what i don´t want for a space-sim game.

Well, on the plus side, I keep hearing that support for regular old joystick seat of the pants flying is supposed to be included in the game. I am rather curious how well that will work, or if its just meant as a bone to the old school space combat sim people.
I'm fairly certain I'm going to want to play a demo of the space flight portion of this game before I plunk down cash for it.

Hmm. Hadn't heard that...

Grr...

Seriously, if I want to play a game like that, I'll load up Bridge Commander.

There's no point in worrying about a game when it hasn't hit the shelves yet. They could always impliment new controls before the game is released.

this IS m$ we're talking about here, it takes them years to write, test in triplicate, and then finally impliment software.

Originally posted by Happy this IS m$ we're talking about here, it takes them years to write, test in triplicate, and then finally impliment software.

That's a good idea if you want to ensure a stable software product.

I've been hearing from day one that no joystick support is intended or implied. It's just not that sort of game.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
I've been hearing from day one that no joystick support is intended or implied. It's just not that sort of game.

And I've been hearing quite frequently that despite the fact that the game doesn't require a joystick, you can still play the game with one. This latest thread seems to counter that, however.

And LeHah, since this IS ms that we're talking about, the game will be released after years of writing, testing, and implementing in triplicate - and still be buggy.
:p

And where have you heard this? We've had actual Digital Anvil and related peoples come into #Wingnut and explain how it's not a joystickable space combat sim on multiple occasions.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
And where have you heard this? We've had actual Digital Anvil and related peoples come into #Wingnut and explain how it's not a joystickable space combat sim on multiple occasions.

Here and there. Unfortunately, I don't recall specific locations, but I do remember reading in more than one place that a decision was made to allow use of a joystick (and it wasn't always like this).
Nothing quite so authoritative as a DA interview, although I don't recall seeing one of those since I started coming here, so a joystick retrofit would have still allowed for non-joystick comments from the DA people.

If you have any idea how the game works though, that just doesn't make sense. You buy differen't AI upgrades for targeting and such. When you click on targets with the mouse, this AI goes after the enemy and does the combat for you. It sounds silly, but that's the premise of the combat. It's been like this since the very first details surfaced:
From GameSpot's preview: "Another interesting feature of the game is the interface. You will not play the game with a joystick. Instead, you control your ship with the mouse. Simulation veterans may cry foul at this apparent blasphemy, but the move to a mouse-driven interface will no doubt make the game that much more accessible for the mass market."

Unfortunately, I haven't heard much about how the interface worked. I knew that you could issue orders, and that it could all be operated with a mouse, but that was about the extent of it. However, I also thought that you could bypass the orders and operate it with a joystick.
At any rate, whether or not I actually did read somewhere that it could be played with a joystick, this thread makes it quite clear that such is not currently the case.

mass market... PAH! who the hell do they think will buy it? non SFS players will see spacecraft and run like hell, space flight sim fans will see no joystick and do the same. its definately a bad decision IMHO. its kind of ironic though. that a company like M$ who market their own advanced joystick (forcefeedback series) would seek to undermine their own profits by creating a really well publicized title like freelancer which being of the SFS genre would immediately make people think it'd use a joystick have absolutely no joystick support at all. and it surprises me even more that the DA staff who worked on privateer didn't bother to stick with and improve the already established SFS genre/format. IMHO freelancer will become a blot in the history of SFS. if it ever gets made it'll probably cost too much, and be too crappy to bother playing. E&B BTW is definately NOT worth looking into... can't even physically hit a base...

If the game industry thought that way, Darkmage, we would now be playing the 19427th sequel of Space Invaders or Pong - same old gameplay, but new graphics! After all, Space Invaders was a great success... so why risk alienating the fans by introducing something new?

Back