Freelancer is buggy as hell...but fun.

deelee74

Spaceman
Twice tonight, I have run into game-ending bugs while playing Freelancer. The first was while docking on Fort Bush. I chose the "dock" option and I was told that the pattern was full but that I would be allowed to dock when it clears. However, my ship immediately went into the docking bay and the door closed. The game never registered my landing. The second bug was a neverending travel through one of the trade lane arteries. I took the New York-Colorado warp tunnel thing and waited for 5 minutes before deciding that the game was frozen and that I would not be getting to my destination.
I think that a patch is in order.
Other than this problem, I am in love with this game. The game has an instant "pick-up-and-play" feel that I haven't experienced since Doom. Doom was the perfect game for a little bit of quick stress relief. Freelancer allows me to take my frustrations out on a couple of enemy factions and all the while, I am building reputation and making some cash. Very cool. It's no Wing Commander, but it really doesn't try to be. It's completely its own game and it's the best game to come out in years. ....just kinda buggy, but a few bugs in a game this enormous is almost expected.

Bah.
Doom III will be an overhyped piece of junk!
Or at least that's my opinion.

I haven't had much in the way of problems with Freelancer myself. The only thing I've noticed is that NPC ships have a habit of burning up in Manhattan's atmosphere while approaching the docking platform. Someone at Digital Anvil was apparently a little careless with the pathing on that. I also had a Xeno I was following (more or less just to see if he actually went anywhere - no mission involved) that appears to have burned up in the sun. I was over 6k back at the time, so its just a guess, but I'm fairly certain that's why his shield and hull suddenly evaporated and he disappeared.

My biggest gripe is something that DA seems to have appropriated from Prophecy's enemy AI. If there are 20 friendly ships, and 3 enemy ships, chances are that all 3 of those enemy ships will be gunning for you. It doesn't matter if you just stumbled into a brawl that was already on-going, and the enemy ships are clear on the other side of the battle field. At least one, and probably all of them, will change course and make a beeline for you.
In a game like this, sometimes all you want to do is slip past the combat engagement without a fight. Why can't they fashion an AI that lets you do that?

FreeLancer didn't/hasn't crashed on me once .. and I agree with junior.. that Enemy AI can get annoying during the game when they all go for you ..

Cheers,

Originally posted by deelee74
Very cool. It's no Wing Commander, but it really doesn't try to be. It's completely its own game and it's the best game to come out in years. ....just kinda buggy, but a few bugs in a game this enormous is almost expected.

Bah, it so much tries to be Privateer... Privateer for kids and halfwits. Seriously SOO many of the concepts are complete ripoff from privateer. Don't say it is its own game cause it really isnt.

Its privateer only with the following shitty stuff about it.

1: Horrible controls. There is NO dogfighting atall in that game, its basicly diablo in space "point and click click click".

2: Extremely simplistic flight engine. Missiles are useless because if u buy the right gun u can blast everything to pieces without getting a scratch. No power distribution system, a feature that has worked well since X-wing came out. Seperate power for guns/burners/shields. Completely lame, u cant sacrifice recharge levels on guns to get power shields. Not that u need it because the game is so easy.

3: My biggest beef with the "fighting engine". Health potions... WTF!!!!!????? Since when did healthpotions make it into the game. Besides u never use them but u can sell them for 200 creds each and if u use ur tractor beam u can usually get around 20 of them (bots and recharges combined) and thats 4k right there. Very useful in the beginning. I got money for the ship I used throughout the whole game in about 30 minutes this way. I never botherd to upgrade from the heaviest Briton fighter on New Londn (looks like a big fish) cuz it was good enough to complete the game with. So I had like a million unused credits in the end.

4: Random missions are a laugh. They are ALL the same. "Go to X, kill Y". NO VARIATION ATALL. The only difrrence is the faction whose ships u need to kill. If u fight for the navy u kill pirates and vice versa.

5: Level requirement for stuff... WTF? Are we playing diablo or freelancer I forget? If they wanted u to be unable to buy certain things until u had come a certain way in the story (so u couldnt buy a power house ship and complete the game in 2 hrs... which u dont need a powerhouse ship for actually), they could just have incorprated it into the story. Something like there has been high demand for those parts becuase of the rising level of pirates, so it isnt availeable yet. Or something. Anything other than a "Required level 23". The reason why I dont play diablo is not so I can play diablo in freelancer.

6: Market prices never change. Find a good route and make gazillions in a second. Although I have no idea what u need the money for. There really isnt much interesting stuff to buy. Which brings me to...

7: Upgrades for ships are a laugh. U got like 3 diffrent cannnons total. Some that shoot fast, medium or slow, and giving low, medium and high damage. Thats it. U can buy afterburner and shields..... thats it. No cool engine or enery upgrades.

8: Talking about engine.... ALL ships are equally fast. And still, if u buy the best afterburner and scan sone pirates to check they got the worst one. You still cant possibly outfly them. How lame is that? They are just gonna keep up with u all the while they shoot at u.

9: Upgrading ur ship seems tedius, there isnt any diffrence in the flying experience. Your guns and shields get better, and so does the enemies. So if u keep upgrading, fighting super cool ships is exactly as boring as fighting stinky level 1 pirates.

10: Completely undynamic. If u fly a few klicks through a transport lane and stiop, you can attack the lane and it stops working. Pulling ppl out of their hyper speed. The ships are just gonna sit there, and once the first couple have been stopped... nobody else comes through. Not ever. And no police comes to stop u... u can just sit there for years distrupting the tradelane... and the world keeps going even though u distruped the most used tradelane in the universe and u can actually see navy ships from where u are.

11: Dull flying experience, no cool taunts to sling back and forth between your enemies. And the space engine is made in a way where its really hard to see the diffrence between even VERY diffrent ships. Super bright universe, with starfogs all over the place... never a black spot in the universe... noooo that would not look gay enough. It copletely ruins the feel of the game. Bases and capships looks like they were just posted on the screan, or put in with ainchent bluescreen tactics. They dont look part of the world ATALL, the lightning of them is completely wrong and the textures look like crap.

12. Collisions... if u afterburn all u can into a huge astroid or a station, you are gonna lose 2 small bumps on ur shield that has regenrated before u have the chance to hit the astroid again. Not to mention the astroid fields are a joke... there are like 2 KMs between each astroid and even if you DO get close.... the game doesnt let u hit them but forces your ship to fly around them. They are never a threat to you, even if u try to make them.

Ok nobody cares to read it all anyways, but there are just so many lame things about a game I have been holding my breath for for 4 years.

Re: Re: Freelancer is buggy as hell...but fun.

Originally posted by Onde Pik
...Privateer for kids and halfwits.
Couldn't agree more. It's still a fun game, but it feels like Privateer with training wheels. Playing *one* game like this is fun and all, but if future space sims follow this trend, then hell, I'll have to get myself a new favorite genre. :(

--Eder

here's an original idea... DUMP FL AND PLAY VEGASTRIKE.
VS has most of the things people are looking for including CARGO MISSIONS. Something FL hasn't even got! also 0.4.0 is coming with an overhaul of all the graphics.

Yeah, only Orgasmo really got the missiles-shooting-from-crotch thing down well.

I... was somewhat disappointed with Freelancer.

Aside the gameplay which was mentioned before, the storyline was very... very... how should I say this? Short?

I finished the main storyline in 20 hours!!!

And then... the-end... go explore... do whatever you want. And I got bored!

But at least those first twenty hours was fun and amusing, but afterwards it was somewhat repetitive.

The Multiplayer option maybe better I hope. I haven't tried it yet.

I finished the main story in 30 hs aprox. (game hours)
The story isn´t shorter than Priv or P2.
The best part come after the main story, doing cartography, buying the best ship, finding the wreckages
HE! i found the Hispania in some system.
But the best part is MP playing in Drakhai server is great.

Hummm... is this server public or just for a select few ? Do I understand that fellow wingnuts are playing together on that server ?

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
Hummm... is this server public or just for a select few ? Do I understand that fellow wingnuts are playing together on that server ?

Join the #wingnut channel and ask that...

While Haes was busy being not incredibly helpful, I asked Tye...

[15:19] <TC> hey Tye, are Chat Zone people allowed to know about the server?
[15:24] <Strakha> Uhhhm. hm.
[15:26] <Strakha> Yes, with a strict "thou shalt not be retarded" clause, and if traffic gets too bad such that #wingnut folks can't get in, it gets password protected and they're gone.

Make a shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe" -s66.155.125.12:2302

corrected for the location of your install to make sure it actually shows up on the server list.

edit:

[15:37] <Strakha> If you want to get more specific than that, the basic rules are "don't act like an asshole." PvP is ok, but don't be a prick about it, tailing someone around and blowing them up every time they launch.
[15:37] <Strakha> If they wanna goof off, fine, but let people don't and don't get in everyone else's way while doing so. That should cover most of it.

So, to summarize, don't be a jackass and everyone'll get along just fine :)

Yeah, you do need to boot your freelancer with that IP extension and all since it's not been showing up in the global list. Drakhai Testing Server is the name.

Originally posted by TC
While Haes was busy being not incredibly helpful, I asked Tye...

[15:19] <TC> hey Tye, are Chat Zone people allowed to know about the server?
[15:24] <Strakha> Uhhhm. hm.
[15:26] <Strakha> Yes, with a strict "thou shalt not be retarded" clause, and if traffic gets too bad such that #wingnut folks can't get in, it gets password protected and they're gone.

Make a shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe" -s66.155.125.12:2302

corrected for the location of your install to make sure it actually shows up on the server list.

I was being as helpful as I could at the moment without my MIRC client booted as I need to run soon. :p Else I'd have logged in.

Wow, its really rocks..MP is great...

WildFire,TC and Ghost doing some fucking mission for 20000 credits...TC bought his Defender....the first second at the battle, bang! TC ship explodes, i took the wepaon platform and 2 fighters and WF 4 or 5 of them..10000 to each one of us, because TC died...hehehe..silly TC and his silly new fighter...

MP is great!

I didn't have the money to upgrade my shields... and a few shots from a weapons platform take out the shields you start with damned quickly... :(

Back