freelancer demo is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru
Anyone remember the old Star Wars and Empire Strikes back arcade games? The crosshairs were moved with the stick (more of a yoke) and the nose followed. Of course, the steering was really slow.. But it worked in that game, and was pretty much how I imagine Freelancer with stick suppoert would work.

True it's not as precise as a mouse, but I think it would work and know I'd use it. Hope someone makes a patch and gives us a choice. Mouse isn't all that bad though, I am getting used to it :)

NO DIALOG FIX
Seems the game doesn't play nice with the hacked mp3 codec installed by divx. After I removed it and replaced it with the one that comes with windows, dialog worked fine again

A REALLY stupid question this: I know how to get rid of divx, but how (And where from) do you replace with the "one that comes with windows?" - What file, and where from please?

Originally posted by T8H3X11
What video card do you have? This is the absolute best looking simulation game I've seen. The game looks perfect with my G4 Ti4600. even my computer with a TNT2 looks awesome. Starlancer had good visuals at the time...but they are definetly outdated and Freelancer has so much more detail, scale, and visual dazzle. Also, there are cockpits, it's different on every ship, on your first ship, it's an open cockpit, on the Rhino freighter it shows the inside of the cockpit. And keep in mind, this is a beta, Microsoft has a little more graphical polish and more flight options (i think) coming for fianl product.

I have a TI4600 as well. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I think that Freelancer looks great, and it really conveys a sense of enormous size and scope. However, the textures and overall graphical effects are on par with the greatest of a year or 2 ago. Truthfully, the textures remind me a lot of the 3 year old Descent 3. This is not an insult whatsoever! 3 years later, I can't think of 10 other PC titles that compare to Descent 3 in graphics quality. I guess that I was just hoping to be bowled over by Freelancer when I finally got to see it in action. I was only merely pleased.
I am glad to hear of the cockpits. I used to love WCIII's cockpit views (even though I ususally turn them off). They really made you feel like you were flying actual ships with thier own distinct differences.

Originally posted by HammerHead
Did anybody knew the demo ends when you get to your 2nd level of exp.?

The place I downloaded it from didn't mention that limit... I found that pretty annoying, spending over 10 hours to download this on my dial up connection to either play for two hours then restart or play for a longer time, trying to NOT make money :). The one system and one plot mission limits should be enough.

Other than that, the demo is great, although the dozens of one-second-long loading screens I get when I do just about anything while planetside is kinda annoying... I'd rather have one or two loading screens which would take 30 seconds each to load, but would only show up once.

Oh, BTW, I haven't found 5 ships in there yet either...

--Eder

Thats what I've been doing, either running around shooting things just for the hell of it, or doing missions, getting paid, and after spending money on essentials (nanobots, shield batteries), spending the rest on any commodity, then dumping it in space.

I've found so far, 7 ships, including the free one. However, two require Level 2 access, and two require Level 4, leaving you with only 3 flyable ones.

I´m playing the full game and it´s fucking great.
I just salvaged a couple of Drails from some Rogue ships and bought the Defender Heavy Fighter!

Originally posted by culler
I've found so far, 7 ships, including the free one. However, two require Level 2 access, and two require Level 4, leaving you with only 3 flyable ones.

Yeah, that's what I meant... I think I've found about 5 ships, but some require a higher level, so they don't really count.

--Eder

I have
3 Justice Mk IIIs, 2 Vengeances, a Badariel turret, and of course mines and countermeasures.
:D

What kind of missiles do you use?

What jump gates have you guys found? Even though you can't use them in the demo, I've found Jump Gate to California and a jump gate to Colorado. Are there any more in the demo? Tomorrow is the day that we will reap the fruits of our labor!!

Not in the demo:

New York-->Magellan
Tau31--> Tau 29 (Border Worlds)
Leeds-->Dublin

And some others that i can´t remember.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
What jump gates have you guys found? Even though you can't use them in the demo, I've found Jump Gate to California and a jump gate to Colorado. Are there any more in the demo? Tomorrow is the day that we will reap the fruits of our labor!!

What labor is that? Tomorrow's the shipping day. Some stores will get them Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back