FRED

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
I can't seem to get the FRED (mission editor) to work. I downloaded the version posted on Saga's site and placed it in the WCSAGA folder. When I run the program, it displays nothing but error tables. Is anyone else having trouble with this?

(RE: FRED and SDK) Fantastic news! You've single-handedly crafted an epic extension of the WC universe for all of us... I'll definitely pony up to pay for this and support/reward the hard work you guys put in!

Much obliged!

I'll try to write a tutorial before my vacation. Without it, you might not be able to utilize our autopilot template.

Update: I expect to have the first tutorial draft along with the necessary tools and autopilot template to be available on Tuesday at the latest.

Can't wait to put every capship and fighter there is in the mod into one huge space battle to see what the engine and my PC can handle. Battle of Earth anyone?

Tolwyn, question for you. I was thinking of using some of your SDK tools to build missions. How difficult is it to add new ship images for the shield and weapons displays?

Easy. A shield icon consists of five frames: ship + 4 quadrants. Weapon selection involves adjusting one of our HUD scripts. We have a default HUD in place though, so you could just use that one at the start.

Mission creation tools our now available, by the way, via our forum.

Awesome! Saga doesn't like me flying a Rapier or Ferret though. Is there an "easy" way around this or do i have to mess around with the ship files? I seem to recall the original Freespace editor even let you fly capital ships, but that i could be wrong about.

You need to modify ships.tbl (or better create a modular table that adds the required flag to the table entry)

Are your mission editing tools exclusive to the Saga.exe? What I mean is that if I want to develop Eagle Rising as a full game (with of course all due credit to you guys for creating these tools), is there a way I can separate the eagle rising .exe from the Saga one? That way we can create a new menu screen and all that Jazz.

Make it as a mod. Then you can put in your own menu screen and the other stuff. You can select before the game starts your mod in the launcher. Thats the best way, and your mod need less space to share. Enigma 2666 for an example needs for the prologue nearly 1 GB of Space, and thats only the music, voice and some stuff. The old models needs also about 700 MB on the HDD. And still needs the prologue.

I think you want for Eagle Rising, a few music samples from WC1, voice for your pilots, a few cutscenes and a lot of WC1+2 models. Thats need some space on the HDD or your Sharehoster. I would make it as a mod.

Well of course its a mod, as its a development of the Freespace Engine and what Saga already built. What I mean is how easy would it be to create a separate .exe for Eagle Rising?

Back