"fox..."

Dralthi5

Spaceman
What does the word "fox" mean when pertaining to combat aviation? (Blair said it while firing off a missile in the WC4 novel and I've also heard it in a number of movies.)

------------------
Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow.

It means you've fired a missile.

IE... "Fox-1" for a RADAR-guided missile like the AIM-120 AMRAAM, and "Fox-2" for a heat-seeker like a SideWinder. I might be wrong about the examples, but that's how "Fox-X" is used.

I think that's what you asked.

------------------
Hats off to the new-age hairstyle made of bones,
Hats off to the use of hats as megaphones...

-Frosty

[This message has been edited by Frosty (edited January 14, 2000).]

Listen to him. My knowledge is derived from Jane's ATFG.

------------------

-Frosty

You sure? I've heard that fox 1 was a short range weapon, fox 2 a medium range weapon & fox 3 a longe range weapon. I've also read that fox 1 can apply to aircraft guns.

Frosty: In ATFG can you finish the B 2 missions & if so how'd you do it?

[This message has been edited by Penguin (edited January 15, 2000).]

Actually, in 4 years, I've still failed to complete the first mission.

------------------

-Frosty

Okaym about those foxes:

Fox -1 --- You are firing a Radar msl either a Semi-active one like an AIM-7

Fox -2 -- You are firing an IR Missiles like an AIM-9

Fox -3 -- the ussage has changed over the years. First for those in the Air Defense business it was the firing of a Genie Nuk Missile off of the F-101B or the F-106. After these were retired the MAvy started used Fox-3 to signify the launch of a Phoenix.

Fox-4 -- For Air Defense folks that meant "RAM" now for most of the AF and Navy
it started meaning "Guns." This term is not used much anymore. Frankly, ftr jokes still prefer the tradional "Guns, Guns, Guns" call for when they really want to get up close and personal or get into the saddle
smile.gif
))

------------------
Founder of the Blacklance HQ

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it from some other posts of yours, RAMROD, that you've had some military experience of some sort. I'll take your word for it. Thanks.
smile.gif

------------------
A gun rack? I don't own a gun, let alone many guns to neccessitate an entire rack.

Hey Dralthi5,

Yes, I served in the USAF both in the command post AFSC 27470 and later as an Air intelligence officer. Spent most of my career in the fighter game and loved it. Now if I could only type
smile.gif

Did you ever fly any fighters? If so which ones?

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

My dad's a Master Sergeant in the Air Force, stuck at some backwater radar station for about one more year before he retires.
frown.gif

------------------
A gun rack? I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns to neccessitate an entire rack.

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited January 15, 2000).]

Back