For those who play on STEAM

I've contemplated making some WC character models for a HL2 mod but So far I'm having trouble geting the free version softimage xsi for hl2 to actualy run.

Might be my old video card. Been waiting for my x800xt for 2 months now... the first one I got was defective and had to be RMA-ed. Now, no one has any to send me to replace it... still waiting.... If I hadn't already gone over budget i would just buy a new power supply and get them to sub a 6800 ultra...

lol, just a steam window skin.

however, a great fan project would be FPS on the new SOURCE engine. please dont ask me, ive got loads of exams coming soon so im gonna be busy...

but as for the idea of that game... we need a good story line and i was thinking about asking someone to make it.

Whatever you pick as base game, please no Steam. Its worse then the XP activation.

cff said:
Whatever you pick as base game, please no Steam. Its worse then the XP activation.

Aye, steam is pure crap. I never could get that damn thing to work thus I frowned upon buying HL2, not to meantion thatone of my bud's steam account got locked saying that it'S a pirated copy though he legally bought the game and never used any ccracks or something. He returned that bloody game and fortunately get all the money back.
As for the US I'df image that there'd be some lawsuits about that pretty soon.

Agreed. I would never use Steam, nor play Half-Life 2, on grounds of professionalism. I'm a programmer myself and what they've done is, in my opinion, an insult to decent coders.

I would probably use Unreal Tournament 2004 as a base game. Heck, they've made flightsims and golf games using the engine already, why not a Wing Commander game? I'm sure it could be done. If you need me on the project team, let me know, but I don't know anything about the engine and I don't have a lot of time. I'm pretty good with voices though.

Eh? Legal version and he got banned???

Its as bad as one of my clan mates sho got banned for using a different spray image.

US l'df ... sorta confused. im only using legal versions of valve software, so if they try a law suit against me.. bad publicity for them. Valves already facing a case against them in March (they broke a contract with Sierra over HL2 and the source engine).

As for the base game, it can be done using the source engine WITHOUT using steam. For all the games on steam to use steam, valve wrote a 'steam.dll', delete that and steam isnt required.

Aron Figaro said:
If you need me on the project team, let me know, but I don't know anything about the engine and I don't have a lot of time. I'm pretty good with voices though.

lol, i sorta got roped into this one. all i did was create a skin for the steam windows. But i agree that a more modern WC is a good idea. better than just FPS, i think it should be a RPG/FPS hybrid (like Deus Ex), with the player as a marine. I saw the Wing Commander movie a year ago, and think that such scenarios as the bording of the destroyer would be fun to enact.

anyone whos got experience in the creation of rpgs, fps's etc really should look into this one.

as a thought: Am i gonna get to upload that skin?

The banned account might have been from someone using a key generator and randomly getting his key - not likely but it seems to happen - I think that's what happened to my first (initial release!) copy of HL, but I can't be sure. Someone subsequently gave me the Game of the Year edition, so happy me - no more pulling out the huge v. 0.5-0.9 patch every time I installed it. Regarding Steam... it's not perfect, it's amazingly better than it was so if stability issues were what scared you off before try it again, and if there are other huge problems with it I am not aware of them.

Well, speaking of Wing Commander RPGs...once the core system and my own world module and magic modules are done for the pen-and-paper game I'm writing, how's about Pilots and Privateers, if you get my drift? ;) I won't give you a time though...not even a year at this point. If all goes well and I get things back on track, expect P&P to start work sometime in 2006.

yes i know. ive got the first layout of the skin ready to upload but... still waiting for a response on whether i can or cant upload it.

Siberian Tiger said:
ive got a Wing Commander skin for STEAM.

I would like to upload it to this site if possible, and include the URL (just www.wcnews.com). wondering if anyone was interested?

If you'd like to post something like that, email us at news@wcnews.com and we can give you further details. Thanks.

Back