For the producers: Chris Roberts, Mark Hamill and Standoff?

-danr-

Vice Admiral
I'm sure that Roberts will be well aware of Standoff, I seem to remember in fact that he even made reference to it on the day of Wing Commander 1's twentieth birthday in a message to fans. I guess this is all a little late, but at any point was there any talk of asking for his input or consultation during the development of this mod?

Likewise, was wondering if during production, anybody thought to write to Mark Hamill and ask him if he'd be interested in helping fans out by sending some voice clip samples for use in the game? Worth a try surely! :D

Chris Roberts haven't been part of the creation of Standoff in any way, and since our mod infringes EA's intellectual property I am pretty sure nobody still remotely linked to EA or the Wing Commander franchise would dare take part into it.

There are a number of ex-Origin people who've been extremely cool to the WC community in the past, and some of their contributions indirectly helped us alot. Also, we did get one direct contribution from one of them too: Marten Davies, the original WC2 Tolwyn, recorded a few lines for us. As far as I know, we didn't try to contact Mark Hamil, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, Pierre, your second paragraph totally contradicts the first :D.

Anyway, no, we never had any contact with Mark Hamill or Chris Roberts. Apart from the fact that I wouldn't know how to contact them, there was never really any reason to do so - we didn't need any voiceovers from Mark Hamill (Blair does have a cameo in Standoff, but existing WC3/WCP voiceovers were more than enough), and while it would be nice to hear what Chris Roberts might think of Standoff were he to play it, his input wasn't ever needed either.

Standoff is a fan project, a tribute to the original. In that sense, it's like a statue of the original's creator - and obviously, while you might be interested in hearing what the creator thinks of the statue after you're done with it, it's probably not a good idea to ask his opinion while you're still working on it ;).

Hehe, did it ? Well, perhaps I didn't phrase it too well - the keywords being "still linked" versus "ex-Origin people", where I meant people who aren't linked to WC anymore.

Back