? for any wc mod team or major contributor for keeping wc alive

I was wondering if for some chance of luck that a game publishing company (like Microsoft since they are still interested in the market. I make the assumption cause they are still intending to release Freelancer sometime.) were to offer a job to the Guys who run WC CIC, The UE Team, Eder's Team, the creators of some of the awesome tools and any other modders with a good amount of experience who have posted work on this board (this also includes the people who have written fan fiction) as a new development house to create a new unique flight sim universe (because of course WC is of course the property of EA and as I was told by TC many times they really don't care about us anymore.). Would you except? (I don't think this would happen but it would be cool I was just wondering what you all would do.) :cool:

A lot of us have ambitions to work in the computer and video games industry however working for a large company has its advantages and other times disadvantages.
I'm not certain I'd accept from Microsoft as I wouldn't trust them to force a deadline, same goes for EA etc.

Take rare for example, under nintendos laid back attitude about release dates they created some of the most well known and respected games on this earth, but under microsoft they are likley to be little much more than average :(

To be fair, Microsoft can be very patient... it's just when you abuse their patience, like Digital Anvil did, that they get annoyed. Which ain't surprising, since they're the ones covering the costs of development.

Hey, any company that hasn't dropped FreeLancer after all this time fits my definition of patient :).

Originally posted by Quarto
To be fair, Microsoft can be very patient...
Really?...Let's see:

1) patient with themselves. (Infinitely)
2) patient with the US gov't (mostly 'cuz they have no choice...)
3) ....?

Pretty short list...

Originally posted by Pedro
A lot of us have ambitions to work in the computer and video games industry however working for a large company has its advantages and other times disadvantages.
I'm not certain I'd accept from Microsoft as I wouldn't trust them to force a deadline, same goes for EA etc.

I couldn't agree more with Pedro. Microsoft (well besides that I'd refuse to for _THAT_ company anyhow) EA and other biggies would mean a lot of pressure. Not only for the deadline. Also for the style of the game. They wouldn't allow something experimental, only a cashcow. A big problem in the industry now IMHO. Look at the great ideas developers had 10-15 years ago. Now most games are just a copy of anoter one.

I do think companies that have already been successfull and THEN get bought up have more luck getting their release dates extended etc, so its really the chicken and the egg, you need to money for a company before you get a decent offer to be funded by anyone :p

Well lets pretend a really obsessed fan of the genre had a few billions and wasn't afraid to risk it all on trying a revival (who had experience as a ceo of a company, not a game company but had hired some of the best in the bisness to help run one.) offered you guys the chance (no time limits cause he wants a very good quility release like UE for instance. as it is better than some of the more recent attempts.) would you except? (there is a risk cause it could fail or it could start the genre back up. some of you have careers and paths chosen already would you abandon it for your freetime hobby with those odds.)

I will now restate the question as I tend to mess up questions with side comments in them:

Would you take the risk with the new things considered?

I know I would but I'm not sitting on a career or even a college path yet so I have time to change my mind at the moment.

In a word... yes.

Yes, I believe I would.

Still my role as a programmer if they hired me right now would not be as high as I would like and I probably end up doing more work with the organisation, design etc than programming.

I've not even got my BSc in Software Enginnering yet, and eventually I want the MSc in games programming.

Pedro In general terms of speaking (I know I shouldn't bring politics in but I'm gonna make reference to it even if I do get flamed for liking G.W. Bush.) I was talking as a mass hiring of people from the board who have done some pretty cool stuff in modding or creating tools or organizing it like one part of your major role you and Quarto did. or have some creative or innovative Ideas as well basically anyone who has got some real good Ideas to make a difference. Here comes the reference I mentioned: bush himself doesn't know it all and he admitted it so what he did was went and got people who did know the stuff he didn't. Now what that has to do with the question is well he (the billionaire fan) could bring in free agents who have been in the bisness a hell of along time to help tutor the ones of us who don't know the latest stuff and bring us up to date making it a big learning experience and making this the best game that could be thought up for this kind of genre.

I think one of the things that makes UE stand out so well is the way it was conceived, some of the original ideas survived, Quarto rewrote more, incoporated various team members ideas. In effect not giving any one too specific a task, not banning anyone from contributing ideas is a tactic that many developers would do well to adopt in my opinion :)

Back