'FM-Towns' WC2 CD...any way to test?

-danr-

Vice Admiral
First: If you don't know what an FM-Towns was, please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_Towns

To business! I have what might be a pretty cool find, but I don't know how rare...My brother saw some FM-Towns games at a garage sale last week, including WC1 and WC2. We used to play through the series together as kids so he picked then up knowing I'm still an enthusiast. Surely worth the £2 (about $3 US.)

I haven't seen the games yet but I'll get then from him tomorrow, now since I don't actually own an FM-Towns computer, does anybody know if there's any software I can use to check the integrity of the CDs?

My brother says that his system with XP simply doesn't 'see' either CD upon insertion, which is odd because usually other software formats have universally readable CD labels - for instance, PSX WC3 will show up on your d: drive, in fact in many cases you can explore the unreadable files inside.

It might not be picking anything up because the disks, sadly, aren't in good shape.

So it's more a technical question really, if the CD is not physically broken, should my PC notice its presence in the drive?

If it's not a CD compliant to a specific format it natively supports, it's likely to be gibberish, just like an XBOX dvd in your PC drive

Did you try to use an FM-towns emulator and accessing the CD from there?

That's a rare find! I wonder how they made it to a garage sale in England.

I believe you will not be able to read the data in a PC drive but that the disc will show up as a music CD-- WC1 and WC2 FM Towns have all the in-game music as 40-odd Redbook audio tracks.

I haven't a clue how it ended up here either, the people at the sale said they found it clearing out the attic. Either way, I got the disks from my brother yesterday, and they've not been taken care of - my CD drive won't even acknowledge they exist. I'm going to put them through one of those 'CD revamp' things to try and buff out the scratches, will keep you posted.

Back