flying styles

What flying style fits you?

• Pure acrobatics (Hornet, Pirranha)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Pure ruggedness (Broadsword, Devastator)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Who needs armor, but agility w/ teeth?! (Rapier, S-Ferret)

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Ruggedness, head-to-head fighting (Scimitar, Sabre)

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Sneaky (Wraith, or using captured ships)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Jack of all trades (Epee, Tigershark)

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Wulf

Vice Admiral
I know that different people prefer different approaches to combat flying, thus influencing their preffered choice of ship. I myself prefer something in between a light and medium fighter with heavy armament such as a Rapier or Super Ferret. Anyone care to share theirs?

none of the above, I like fighters like the Vampire and Excalibur that are ruged, have heavy shields and armor, and are reletivly fast and manuverable

oh yeah...

Please when thinking about this poll, TRY TO EXCLUDE ALL SUPERFIGHTERS LIKE EXCALIBUR b4 you answer. This helps better define how you fly! :cool:

added comment...

Tried my best to match attributes to ships, so please hold any opinions regarding that matter.:eek:

I really liked the Thunderbolts and Panthers. They had good strike capability without being underpowered in the engines.

For my all around best multiporpouse fighter.........drumroll please.......the thunderbolt. One of my favorite ships from WC3!

I'm lucky if I survive at times. The last time I played P1 I was doing the mapping assignment where I get that gun. I was so badly shot up I was barely able to jump to the next systems. With all my systems in the gray. I just drift around. It took like 10+ minutes for my repair-bot to fix everything. It was not a pretty site. Spark, armour almost all gone.

I love saving my booster pack on the wasps... then kamakaze just for kicks! BOOOM!
Seriously though, I used to run with the mid-range ships. Sabres, Rapiers, Raptors, Panthers.... you name it I could crush an opponent with it.
However, I do play with strictly light fighters whenever possible. it's more fun to fly circles around a carrier and let the weapons hit whatever's behind ya :)

My all time favorite multipurpose fighter was the WcIV banshee, there's no quicker way to knock off a cap ship then to afterburn in press b and fire off a volley of four dumbfires :cool: .

Head-to-Head kicks ass ! Those seconds before the little green light are like an adrenaline rush. You know that yor shields and armor will vanish, but to hell with that !

I like fighters with lots of teeth, and which can also absorb the punishment. Raptors, Broaswords, Thunderbolt, Vindicators were all my favorites in their respective games.

Best, Raptor

I prefer medium to heavy fighters too. Panther/Rapier/Raptor/Thunderbolt/Vindicator/Wasp, these were the fighters I flew best in.

Same here. I prefer fighters with speed and teeth that can also take a pounding. Flying something like the Scimitar gives me headaches. Flying a Vamp, I can take on the universe.

I have to agree that I'm in the semi-light/semi-medium fighter range. If I have a small amount of shields/armor to cover my ass when I'm not paying attention, then I'll be fine 'cause I use that speed to it's best possible use. Especially on fighters that give you a good payload of missiles, there's something that'll let me show you the meaning of a killboard. :D

As i said in many threads before the best fighter was, is and will be the Thunderbolt lotsa guns,armor some missiles and a free Torp. !!!

I think this is a situation where there is no 'end-all' solution. The right tool for the right job!
Generally I prefer to outmanouver my opponent, because, what's the use if your ship can withstand 25 torpedo hits if you can't waste the enemy...
And I prefer to prevent missile impact to relying on my armour to be sufficient to handle it.
But I wouldn't like to do a torpedo run in a ferret ship, nor would I want to do a dogfight in an Avenger.
So like I said...

Back