Flight Stick for PS2

K1nG Gr4H4m

Spaceman
Just wondering if someone tried WC3 or WC4 on the PS2 with one of these flight stick. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-70-3ob.html or http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-70-bc1.html .
It says it's compatible with all flight games for the PS2, but the WC games are for the PSX.
I know PSX controlers works on PS2, but on the developer's web site it's says something about USB. Since there is no USB support on the PSX and my kanji skills are close to none, will that thing work for a PSX game on a PS2?
I just want to be sure before spending more than 130$.

Thanks in advance.

LOAF actually has a great PSX joystick from years ago that has an official WC control scheme. That new stick is supposed to be killer though. $130 includes Ace Combat 5.

Here's the stick you want:

joysticks.jpg

(And some others.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to Cougar ordered for 5 weeks now.
First shop told me that they had cancelled my order after two weeks. Second one did the same. Then they said they would be delivering and cancelled the cancelling. Still not showed up at my house. They claim that they finally sent it away yesterday. I don't really believe it anymore. Damn hard to get this one in Austria as it looks.
I just wished there was a stick like it that would support force feedback like my good old Force FX. Unfortunately my current mainboard doesn't like the Pro Throttle that I was using with it.

The Cougar is *VERY* hard to get.

And by very, I mean it. They only do a run every few months (because not too many people buy one), so they can sell out fast, and take months to replenish. I suggest you visit CougarWorld (http://cougar.frugalsworld.com ) and check out their forums on availability. Oftentimes the only places you can get them are Amazon and eBay if you want it now.

The latest firmware I believe keeps the programming between sessions (it used to require reprogramming everytime it was plugged in), so you can keep your configuration on the stick.

Though, if you're using it to play PSX games, I don't think USB works on the PS2 when running in PSX mode. Great stick otherwise.

$250 is actually a bargain for the Cougar. It is listed at 320 to 400 Euro here. Amazon.de lists it with 400 Euro(!)+4% VAT to Austria. And shipping from the USA isn't really an option either.
On a related note I GOT my Cougar yesterday. Wohooo...
It most certainly is a workout device. Weighting at almost 10 kilo... Didn't really have time to play around much tho. That manual is frightening. Almost 200 pages (and no - that is not multilingual).

$250 is a good price. I didn't pay much more for mine, and I got mine over a year ago.

As for the manual, it's frightening, but that's because it's extremely programmable - every switch, trigger and knob can be configured as a mouse axis, a joystick axis, a keyboard key, a sequence of keys, a digital axis, etc. And the best thing of all, after downloading this data to the Cougar, it works like a regular keyboard. There's no special driver (other than the downloader driver), and it sets itself up as a mouse, keyboard and joystick. No special translation software required...

Well it still uses some kind of emulation via a HID. I actually preferred the hardware solutions of old days here that actually DID plug into the PS2 port as well.
BTW - what do you consider to be a good mapping of the WC keys on the Cougar. Especially the throttle part keeps me puzzling as to how I should map keys there in a useful way (I am not talking technically, but logistically).

Back