Flight Helmets

HoustonDragon

Rear Admiral
Since I ordered one of the flight suits, I was wondering how much of an interest there was for a Wing Commander Confed-style helmet for people?

Examples of the style I'm talking about can be seen here:
https://cdn.wcnews.com/newershots/full/jhat-1.jpg
https://www.wcnews.com/articles/dcon2004/dc2004dayone36.jpg

I've contacted a local vendor here in Atlanta who is willing to create the necessary mold (currently, we're pricing this around $500 for the inital mold, which would be good for the production of around 50 helmets), and then create individual custom fiberglass helmets. They would be wearable (using the base interior materials from a generic motorcycle helmet), though certainly would not be certified for use as anything other than strictly a novelty item.

My thought was to leave the basic helmet painted the white primer, and then either someone could stick a decal logo on it, or have it custom painted themselves. We could go ahead and have the two basic red stripes painted on them, though. There's also the idea of having Diamondback, Black Widow, and Wolfpack emblems printed as decals, but that's still up in the air until we can gauge some sort of demand for these.

With the base materials, labor, shipping, and whatever else will go into producing one of these, the current estimate price for one would be between $125-175 per helmet (subject to change, based on material costs), and would likely be finished in time for Dragon*Con 2006. Let me hear your feedback about this. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The alternate suggestion was to take a premade helmet and affix decals. Some helmet examples are
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/fullfacemc/cs12white
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/fullfacemc/fs1pearlwhite
helmet.jpg

And then you could customize them. Price is around $100, unless cheaper base helmets can be found.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great. But for the squadron stuff we'd have to make up new ones(for the TCS Eisen)

My other thought was simply letting each person have their last name or callsign along the front of the helmet (ala WC4) in black lettering, or simply putting "TCS William Eisen" there. =)

I'd be interested in one. I used to have this bizarre obsession with helmets as a kid. Stormtroopers, Imperial Pilots and Darth Vader were the only reason I liked Star Wars as a kid. No joke. (I like them for other stuff now, but still)

meisdavidp said:
I'd be interested in one. I used to have this bizarre obsession with helmets as a kid. Stormtroopers, Imperial Pilots and Darth Vader were the only reason I liked Star Wars as a kid. No joke. (I like them for other stuff now, but still)

So which method would you prefer? We're trying to gauge interest in either one, since there would be set base costs that would have to be weighed against the expected number produced of each style.

I think the custom molded ones would be better. At $500 for 50, the mold only costs $10 per helmet, fairly cheap. ANd it'll look better than modifying a motorcycle one...

Worf said:
I think the custom molded ones would be better. At $500 for 50, the mold only costs $10 per helmet, fairly cheap. ANd it'll look better than modifying a motorcycle one...

I actually really like the look of a lot of generic helmets. Also, we're not looking at anywhere near 50 helmets.

Well, I'm always interested in one - count me in. Doesn't matter which way it goes (though my preferences have already been made clear).

No shit, dude. I would totally buy one. You have no idea (okay, maybe you do) how much I've wanted a Wing Commander pilot's helmet.

While I really wanted a movie one, I'll settle for a replica of one from the games. :D

I'd be interested in the one with the callsign on the front, the usual red striping on the top, and a squadron and or Fleet Insignia/Home Ship insignia on the side.

I would be interested with the callsign across the front and Eisen on the back or side, in keeping with other CIC goodies.

I agree, if you can ship for a reasonable price it would be an excellent novelty item, especially when I have a party where everyone wears a helmet. Ahh, I remember when we last had one, I had my army kevlar one on, my mate had my Moto-X one and some guy had my skater helmet on. Not so good when you fall asleep with it still on.

Ahhh, memories.

I'd love to get one give the oppurtunity.

My suggestion is to ship them no decals (should help keep the price down) then sell packs of decals for those who want them.

Disco Boy said:
I'd love to get one give the oppurtunity.

My suggestion is to ship them no decals (should help keep the price down) then sell packs of decals for those who want them.

Decals would make up less than 5% of the unit price and add a lot of personality. If someone didn't want them for whatever reason or we found an alternative means to decorate the helmet, that works, but options like this can always be declined by someone getting something. There's no need to take them off by default to save a couple dollars (and the less people that get them, the more expensive they are).

Back