Flight Commander new features, screens

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Here's an update on the features I've partially completed for Flight Commander

1) Dynamic lighting. As you fire a weapon, the light from the weapon shines on objects around it. Fire a laser, and objects around it are shaded red.

2) Turrets are coming along nicely. I've got rendering down mostly ok, just need to add constraints and some AI.

3) Shadows appear in the takeoff and landing cutscenes.

4) Thrusters look better, and are partially transparent.

Check out the attached screenshows of these new features.
 

Attachments

  • dynamic lighting.JPG
    dynamic lighting.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 213
  • shadows.JPG
    shadows.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 216

Lynx

Spaceman
Wow cool. Now the only thing that stands out are the low poly ships from WCP. If I hadn't enough to do I would remodel them with more polies and higher res textures.

Another question: Are weapon effects semi-transparent too now. As far as I rembered they weren't in the earlier builds.
 

cff

Kilk'dymga'qith laq Ik'vikvi
The polycount seems to be ok for me (except in the shadow of the Vampire). Have to agree on the textures however. They are sub par for the engine
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Lynx said:
Another question: Are weapon effects semi-transparent too now. As far as I rembered they weren't in the earlier builds.

I'll have to put that on my ever growing todo list.
 

powell99

Aviation Junkie
Looks good. I have a question. In the earlier builds you could add other ships. Can we still do that?
 

Lynx

Spaceman
Yeah, I'm sure. Being moddable is an integral part of Flight Commander. Why should eddieb purposefully remove it then?
 

Iceblade

Admiral
Hey. A few things to mention:
1) there are no collsions--rather curious
2) some of the menus are a little crude--but enough about asethics because the flight engine is what's important, right
3) the computer doesn't select the next target--more of something to get used to really
4) I do like that ships are much harder to destroy--just have to keep numbers low
5) AI could use some improvement
6) really liked the briefings, though
7) the ship sizes are unusually different--why?
8) no vids
9) the game also studders--not terribly uncommon of a problem, though

These are just my initial thoughts and I understand that this is still a work-in-progress to some extent, really good otherwise.
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Iceblade said:
Hey. A few things to mention:
1) there are no collsions--rather curious
2) some of the menus are a little crude--but enough about asethics because the flight engine is what's important, right
3) the computer doesn't select the next target--more of something to get used to really
4) I do like that ships are much harder to destroy--just have to keep numbers low
5) AI could use some improvement
6) really liked the briefings, though
7) the ship sizes are unusually different--why?
8) no vids
9) the game also studders--not terribly uncommon of a problem, though

These are just my initial thoughts and I understand that this is still a work-in-progress to some extent, really good otherwise.

Actually, there are collisions, they just don't do any damage. I don't know what you mean by the ship sizes being different. I just added videos and a target cam today. If the game is studdering, try changing the resolution or turning off features. Thanks for your suggestions.
 

Iceblade

Admiral
Everything seems bigger especially in take-off. Also the collisions are not even noticable--maybe adding some shaking or a shield bounce effect. Biggest thing I think needs work are the AIs--all across the board really. But it seems that only basic AI is in place anyone--waiting for enhancement.

Good luck.
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Iceblade said:
Also the collisions are not even noticable--maybe adding some shaking or a shield bounce effect. Biggest thing I think needs work are the AIs--all across the board really. But it seems that only basic AI is in place anyone--waiting for enhancement.
Good luck.

If you have a force feedback joystick, you would actually feel the collision. But I'll have to add something for those without force feedback. I'll agree that the AI could use some attention in the next release.
 

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
so I upgraded my video card to a 3dblaster tnt2 ultra and the game runs smootly until I try flyin and it does an illegal operation about 5 secs into the flight. whats causin this and how can it be fixed? btw Im using the 1.0.1 version of the game.
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Iceman16 said:
so I upgraded my video card to a 3dblaster tnt2 ultra and the game runs smootly until I try flyin and it does an illegal operation about 5 secs into the flight. whats causin this and how can it be fixed? btw Im using the 1.0.1 version of the game.
There's not enough information to know, sorry.
 

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
ok the illegal operation details that come up are:

FLIGHTCOMMANDER caused and invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:00000009.
Registers:
EAX=02d6c140 CS=0167 EIR=00000009 EFLGS=00210283
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0082f8b0 EBP=0082da38
ECX=20c16b00 DS=016f ESI=0064b100 FS=2137
EDX=00000000 ES=016f EDI=0250a104 GS=2126
Bytes at CS:EIP:
00 63 05 65 04 70 00 65 0470 00 54 ff 00 f0 79
Stack dump:
0000016f 093ec59f 0064b100 02d6c140 006bc120
00000000 00000010 0082fa38 0250a104 0064b100
00000000 00000000 02bd7a4 00000002 006b07dc
00000000
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Iceman16 said:
ok the illegal operation details that come up are:

FLIGHTCOMMANDER caused and invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:00000009.
Registers:
EAX=02d6c140 CS=0167 EIR=00000009 EFLGS=00210283
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0082f8b0 EBP=0082da38
ECX=20c16b00 DS=016f ESI=0064b100 FS=2137
EDX=00000000 ES=016f EDI=0250a104 GS=2126
Bytes at CS:EIP:
00 63 05 65 04 70 00 65 0470 00 54 ff 00 f0 79
Stack dump:
0000016f 093ec59f 0064b100 02d6c140 006bc120
00000000 00000010 0082fa38 0250a104 0064b100
00000000 00000000 02bd7a4 00000002 006b07dc
00000000

You have to realize that it's nearly imposible for anyone to debug a problem unless they can reproduce it themselves. Since Flight Commander worked on your computer before the video card upgrade (although slowly), and doesn't work afterward, I'm inclined to believe that it's not a flight commander problem. Wish I had better news.
 

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
Eddieb Great Work man.Its much much better than the previous Flight Commander Version.You made a huge step between the 2 versions. :)
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
TCSTigersClaw said:
Eddieb Great Work man.Its much much better than the previous Flight Commander Version.You made a huge step between the 2 versions. :)
Thanks for your kinds words. More goodies are on the way.
 

Iceblade

Admiral
Eddie, the mission editor is not functioning. It just says Java loading...

This is, of course, after the I downloaded the newer mission editor. Someone else what to check this?
 
Top