Flight Commander: A Shot in the Dark

ChrisReid said:
Boy, if I had a penny for every fan project that got delayed because someone was "swamped with coursework."

Heheh, I'll try to get as much done as possible, as (I think) the bulk of my coursework and stuff is done with but I don't know for sure, for my professors are crazy mofo's.

I'm done with 5 missions thus far, the fifth mission being a "Rescue the Confed Starbase"-type mission, so work is being done. I'm just not sure if I'm gonna be able to work on it the way I have been the past few weeks. Now that I have the attentions of ChrisReid, I'll work doubly hard! :)

Well, the reason for the quietness at Ranger's Glory is due mostly to awaiting animation models, characters, and scripting.

Otherwise, the only thing to do is convert and balance fighters and capships.

Iceblade said:
Well, the reason for the quietness at Ranger's Glory is due mostly to awaiting animation models, characters, and scripting.

Otherwise, the only thing to do is convert and balance fighters and capships.

So it's safe to say that Rangers' Glory is going to be released with FC 1.3?

hakatsuru,

Hey, we like to give credit where credit is due and to promote creativity and productivity in the community. We're just going in to this knowing that your story and ours will likely be very different. That's perfectly fine, however. We hope you will enjoy our project, and I can say that I look forward to trying yours, as well. As for real life issues, we at WC Saga sure know how that can be. Best of luck with your coursework! Real life must come first, after all (a pity, I know).

Hakatsuru,

What I was saying was that we are far from finished. Progress on the project is waiting on those three things, so once those three are done, RG should be able to achieve a steady stride in additions to the mod project.

Also, the RG-prologue will not be finished until some point after Flight Commander has reached a completed state.

Iceblade said:
Hakatsuru,

What I was saying was that we are far from finished. Progress on the project is waiting on those three things, so once those three are done, RG should be able to achieve a steady stride in additions to the mod project.

Also, the RG-prologue will not be finished until some point after Flight Commander has reached a completed state.

Ah Ok. Good luck with it!

Sphynx said:
hakatsuru,

Hey, we like to give credit where credit is due and to promote creativity and productivity in the community. We're just going in to this knowing that your story and ours will likely be very different. That's perfectly fine, however. We hope you will enjoy our project, and I can say that I look forward to trying yours, as well. As for real life issues, we at WC Saga sure know how that can be. Best of luck with your coursework! Real life must come first, after all (a pity, I know).

Thanks, but I think I need caffeine more than I need luck :)

Iceblade said:
Hakatsuru,

You've got plenty of work to do with the existing engine, I'm not on the critical path for most of your work. There's no need to wait for me.

Well, the project still needs AI and the 1.3 scripting. At the moment, though, the wait is on character creation and a few models. (and some conversion/balance)

Hey, I snapped a picture late last night of my mod...

Here's a Hellcat V with UofA colors I thought I'd dish out for kicks. In the background are the converted Ranger with a LOT of help from eddieb, a Tallahassee Destroyer behind that, and below that is a Transport.

Pic churrrssss

Here are some shots I just snapped

I'll have more up when I'm closer to completion.

Tell me what you think! Please!

Well, one thing I can tell you based on these screenshots is that you've got some canon-related issues. I hope you don't mind if I go through them - I'm one of those people that believe that fan projects are infinitely better when they stick to the canon ;).

- Bhurak Starkiller died during WC1. In some cases, this kind of thing can be ignored (after all, WC1 allows even all the Confed pilots to die, and then WC2 assumes they didn't die), but in this case, the WC1 guide confirms that he was short down (by Iceman, in the Gateway system).

- We only know of one squadron that flies Bloodfangs. I think it might be safe to assume that this squadron would be whereever Prince Thrakhath is - and that's likely to be in Kilrah at this point.

- The planet seen in the Bhurak Starkiller screenshot is Kilrah... post-Temblor :p. If you want to have missions in the Kilrah system, you may want to use the pre-Temblor version of Kilrah from KillerWave's page.

- You're not likely to see any Excaliburs at this point in time. IIRC, the only squadrons that had them were the ones who were supposed to attack Kilrah (Blair's squadron on the Victory, and Spyder's squadron on the Eagle). If you'd like to include some more ships than the four fighters we see in WC3 apart from the Excal, I would recommend using some of the Armada ships.

- Search and rescue normally uses ships equipped with tractor beams. We're never told specifically that the Hellcat doesn't have tractor beams... but there's also no reason to believe that it does have such equipment. Of the ships seen in WC3, I would suggest the Thunderbolt is the most likely candidate for S&R, because it's basically a successor to the Sabre (which performs this function in WC2).

(interestingly enough, if we assume that Confed's ship designation system is based on the present-day US fighter designation system, then the Thunderbolt really is a search & rescue ship, because that's what the "H" in its HF-66 designation denotes... though of course, we know the Confed system is on many occasions different to the US designation system, so we can't really jump to conclusions about what the "H" means)

- Finally, while I'm not completely sure about it (I always get this confused :p ), I do believe you've got the Ranger-class mirrored, the conning tower should be on the other flank.

I no expert like Quarto since i've only played main WC ports beside WCP and WCSO. But I like what i see and if you want i'd be willing to supply my voice for a character.

Look at the sector.xml files for changing the planets, its very simple. Also you can change the search and rescue ships by looking at constants.xml.

Quarto said:
Well, one thing I can tell you based on these screenshots is that you've got some canon-related issues. I hope you don't mind if I go through them - I'm one of those people that believe that fan projects are infinitely better when they stick to the canon ;).

- Bhurak Starkiller died during WC1. In some cases, this kind of thing can be ignored (after all, WC1 allows even all the Confed pilots to die, and then WC2 assumes they didn't die), but in this case, the WC1 guide confirms that he was short down (by Iceman, in the Gateway system).

- We only know of one squadron that flies Bloodfangs. I think it might be safe to assume that this squadron would be whereever Prince Thrakhath is - and that's likely to be in Kilrah at this point.

- The planet seen in the Bhurak Starkiller screenshot is Kilrah... post-Temblor :p. If you want to have missions in the Kilrah system, you may want to use the pre-Temblor version of Kilrah from KillerWave's page.

- You're not likely to see any Excaliburs at this point in time. IIRC, the only squadrons that had them were the ones who were supposed to attack Kilrah (Blair's squadron on the Victory, and Spyder's squadron on the Eagle). If you'd like to include some more ships than the four fighters we see in WC3 apart from the Excal, I would recommend using some of the Armada ships.

- Search and rescue normally uses ships equipped with tractor beams. We're never told specifically that the Hellcat doesn't have tractor beams... but there's also no reason to believe that it does have such equipment. Of the ships seen in WC3, I would suggest the Thunderbolt is the most likely candidate for S&R, because it's basically a successor to the Sabre (which performs this function in WC2).

(interestingly enough, if we assume that Confed's ship designation system is based on the present-day US fighter designation system, then the Thunderbolt really is a search & rescue ship, because that's what the "H" in its HF-66 designation denotes... though of course, we know the Confed system is on many occasions different to the US designation system, so we can't really jump to conclusions about what the "H" means)

- Finally, while I'm not completely sure about it (I always get this confused :p ), I do believe you've got the Ranger-class mirrored, the conning tower should be on the other flank.

Hey thanks alot Quarto! I thought I was really limited as to the fighters I saw on the WC3 section on the CIC, and I have like 3 missions in a row in which the Hellcat is used. Although I'm not well versed in the universe of Wing Commander as say LOAF or you, I also agree that the game tends to be better if its more related to events portrayed in the game. Those screenshots are not an expression of the final product; they are mostly like that to get a feel for the actual scripting/programming, and Yeah, I also think that the Ranger is mirrored... I just don't know how to flip it yet. Your review is greatly apreciated!

eddieb said:
Look at the sector.xml files for changing the planets, its very simple. Also you can change the search and rescue ships by looking at constants.xml.

Yeah, but I can't seem to find planet pictures.

Raptor leader said:
I no expert like Quarto since i've only played main WC ports beside WCP and WCSO. But I like what i see and if you want i'd be willing to supply my voice for a character.

That'd be really great! I just haven't figured out what I could have you say, or how your characters' demeanor is... ie disgruntled fighter pilot who lost his family in the war, the quarky, "shoot first, ask questions later" type, or the hard nosed ace. I'll work on that tonight. I'd very much like your voice for this project.

just send me a PM or Email telling me extact what you want me to say. And i'll do my best although my mirophone isn't the best and neither am i.But i give it a shot.

Back