Flight Cmdr Patch released

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Hi all:

I've released a new patch for Flight Commander, which should be of interest to all FC users.

For players:
  • Now the main menu has animated doors, computers, and sound effects.
  • Mouse support during flight.
  • Captions

For mission designers:
  • Save variables between missions.
  • You can have multiple insults, or any other sort of comm, for more variety.

Here's a video of the new menus.

The patch is only 2 meg, and is available here.

Nice new features Eddie! FC has never really appealed to me because it just seemed not finished but now it's shaping up to be the full thing! Now we just need a good campaign. :)

The new splash screen is great. Love the doors and the like. The game crashes when it can't find the pilot.comms.xml

Its cool, I was able to figure it out.

Code:
boolean Mission_isPlayerTraitor();
Sweet, is there one to return the IFF of a ship?

There seems to be a problem with the mouse for me. When I point the icon which represents the mouse into the icon which represents where the ship is aiming the ship goes up instead of straght. I have to put the mouse a fair way below the targeter to go straight. The other is with long captions but you probley know about those.

Thanks for the bug report, I fixed up the mouse now, just download the patch 4 again and you'll have it. I'll definitely add the get iff function in the next patch.

It works with:
Hi! Everything's going well, the dancing's good and the jokes are fine.

If it has characters it can't understand such as わたしわ。 the text box just doesn't show up.

There are several special characters in xml, ' is one of them. Google around for Xml special characters

I'm not having any problems with ` on my computer. It seems to be the amount of characters, when it goes off the screen it crashes.

FlightCommanderissue5.PNG

Kyran said:
I'm not having any problems with ` on my computer. It seems to be the amount of characters, when it goes off the screen it crashes.

Maybe there needs to be some kind of wordwrap setting for longer paragraphs. Either that or a character limit and a way to tell it to display multiples lines of dialogue in succession. The first is probably simpler if it's not there already.

Yes, you need to unzip them to your FC directory. You're going to want to get patch 4. And if you want 5, install it on top of 4. Let me know how it goes.

Awesome, I just thinking about needing some of these features just last night.

Edit: boy it is only a pain to update my FC workfolder

My changes are actually quite numerous. Esp. today's. I always just copy over select files from an install version of the lastest FC version.

Its not be deal, though, as I have figured out a system for adding new files to my "workshop."

First time to fly with all the updates and wouldn't you know, FC is not able to recognize my joystick or mouse for that matter (only the keyboard).

Its clear that the engine recognizes the joystick on the initial engine startup, but in the mission, it just goes into a bunch can't get poll device.

Ok couple of things to try to help me narrow it down. First, in the settings menu, and turn off the mouse. Then try the joystick. Second scenario: unplug the joystick, but this time try flying with the mouse selected. Let me know how these 2 go.

Back