Flight Cmdr 1.6.13 released - April Fools Joke

eddieb

Vice Admiral
All:

I'm proud to announce a new version of Flight Commander is released. Among the new features:

Support for new shaders: Diffuse maps, bump maps, reflection maps, specular maps.

New features: On the ground combat: Pilot a tank, turret, or atmospheric fighter. Adaptive levels of terrain detail, from jungles to deserts.

Compatibility: All these shaders run perfectly smooth on all hardware built after 1980. Pull out those 8086s and run real-time specular lighting and shadows with no slowdown. Runs on all hardware from macs to linux to gameboy to HP calculators.

Voice acting: The computer automatically generated voices completely indistinguishable from professional human actors.

Scriptable AI: The AI is now completely scriptable. Now, gamers with absolutely no programming experience can script a professional-quality AI in only 5 minutes.

All this was done in about 3 months by a team of 1 programmer with a few spare hours after work. Enjoy.

Get it from the usual Flight Commander homepage here http://flightcommander.solsector.net/

Sounds even better. Looks like you took some of suggestions into consideration. I like it! :cool: However, I went to your site and I don't see it for download.

That is SOOOO COOL! I am getting it now!

Edit: Excuse me, but where can I find this super cool version of FC? With all the super cool features?

I went onto the downloads page and looked and it was not there. I even did a ctrl-refresh and it still did not show up? Where did you put it?

Kevin Caccamo said:
I went onto the downloads page and looked and it was not there. I even did a ctrl-refresh and it still did not show up? Where did you put it?

Oh God.:(

Hey, I just found out that Eddie started this thread on April fools day, maybe it was just an april fool to get us excited. Right, eddie?

eddieb said:
All:

I'm proud to announce a new version of Flight Commander is released. Among the new features:

Support for new shaders: Diffuse maps, bump maps, reflection maps, specular maps.

New features: On the ground combat: Pilot a tank, turret, or atmospheric fighter. Adaptive levels of terrain detail, from jungles to deserts.

Compatibility: All these shaders run perfectly smooth on all hardware built after 1980. Pull out those 8086s and run real-time specular lighting and shadows with no slowdown. Runs on all hardware from macs to linux to gameboy to HP calculators.

Voice acting: The computer automatically generated voices completely indistinguishable from professional human actors.

Scriptable AI: The AI is now completely scriptable. Now, gamers with absolutely no programming experience can script a professional-quality AI in only 5 minutes.

All this was done in about 3 months by a team of 1 programmer with a few spare hours after work. Enjoy.

Get if from the usual Flight Commander homepage here http://flightcommander.solsector.net/

April fool, right. All this stuff is probably literally impossible, but I can believe what I have not highlighted in red.

Proof #1: You might need a little programming experience to program the AI all by yourself, and in 5 minutes.

Proof #2: It is literally impossible (unless if you did some extreme thinking) to make a text to speech engine that sounds like a real human talking with expression, feeling, and emotion.

Proof #3: How are gameboy or HP Calc users even going to download this FC version?

Proof #4: At last, but most importantly, You did not even put up a download for the new version of flight commander.

Proof #5: You would need a heck of a lot of time off work to implement all those new features that you told us about.

Proof #6: What about FC version 1.4.....

Proof #7: Eddieb Started this thread on April 1, which is April fools day.

Is it an april fool, eddieb? We would like to hear the answer soon.

I think you and Ptarmigan were the only ones that were fooled.:p
BTW, look at the version number.

Iceblade said:
So eddie, are even the new shaders true or just part of the joke.

Part of the joke. Unless someone wants to buy me a new video card :), mine isn't powerful enough to handle shaders. And then some talented artist would need to volunteer to create detailed models which use maps.

Kevin Caccamo said:
Proof #3: How are gameboy or HP Calc users even going to download this FC version?

Gameboy is very much possible. There are writeable cartridges for all Gameboy versions. How else would a developer be able to test on actual hardware? Dunno about the HP Calc.

Back