Flight Cmdr 1.4 Released

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Flight Commander 1.4 is available for download.

New features include:

• Jump points. As seen below, a new 3d jump effect is now present.
  • Completely scriptable custom cutscenes. Act as the director, script in smooth camera and ship movements. A sample cutscene is provided, showing a jump from one sector to another.
  • Two all new sim missions. These gauntlet missions are scripted to provide bonus power-ups for kills.
  • Six more ships are included.
  • Two more cockpits.
  • A kill board. Kills are tracked across multiple missions.
  • A login screen, so players can choose a callsign.
  • Multiple rooms. Modders can now have an unlimited number of rooms. A sample ready room and rec room are provided.
  • More screen resolutions are supported.
  • Lots of new scripting commands for the modder. 33 new script functions are provided.
  • A new orchestration of the Kilrathi theme: featuring a real electric guitar and organ.

Also some improvements to the mission editor:
  • Tell a ship to jump in with a single mouse click.
  • Name nav points.

Flight Commander is a space combat game in the style of Wing Commander. The Flight Commander engine was programmed from the ground up, and comes with a graphical mission editor. It is designed to accomodate easy modding, using standard formats for images, sounds, and 3d graphics. All game stats can be changed easily with a text editor.

For the more advanced missions, scripting is done with the user-friendly but powerful lua scripting language. All scripting commands are well documented, and many examples are included for a variety of missions.

fcjump.jpg

Eddie, any news with next version or busy with that RPG called "real life" ? :)

There have already been a significant number of unofficial patches released after 1.4, which you can read about here in the forum. Honestly I haven't had a chance to work on it in quite a while. I wanted to at least get player controller turrets working before releasing a 1.5. There's been some work on this area, but the hard part still remains. And I haven't even started turret AI or AI improvements yet.

That being said, play with 1.4, and enjoy.

Back