First impressions

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
I have been extensively playing the beta version of Standoff´s chapter 1 and I would like to share some of my impressions of the game here (no spoilers :) )

I found it GREAT so far. It is really not only a step up from UE, but a whole ladder up, IMHO. I am very pleased with the ships models, in-game fiction, backgrounds, characters and, specially, the gameplay and the dynamics of the game.

Few times in WC I have seen such intense dogfights, and not in a SO-kind of way, where you and your 2 wingmen could beat up a whole Nephilim fleet. Now, a squadron of light fighters really have to sweat to beat 2 or 3 heavy fighters, and every missile counts a lot. You can´t waste a second chasing the enemies, and, unlike other WC games, you can´t just let your wingmen eject and finish the mission Rambo-like. In post-truce times, resources are very limited. If you don´t watch your buddies´ backs, next mission up they might not have a fighter to fly.

Little choices made in missions affect the course of the game, and, as a Wing Commander, your leadership means a lot of pressure and responsibilities.

The characters are not killing machines, they all have clear personalities. The main character himself is not a model of perfection, but a man trying really hard to get his job done.

The game is beautifully finished and a pleasure to play. The Privateer memories that are brought back in the first missions are amazing, Gemini Sector has never looked so nice.

In my first mission up, I got hit bad in the ass - by my wingman!. Second mission, I accidentaly Heat-Seeked a friendly fighter and everyone started hating me... Now THAT feels like WC2!

From the moment I set my eyes in this project I knew something big was coming. The release is near, and I am sure you all will be very positively surprised by it.

Yep, that´s a very good aspect indeed. Casey, for instance, is Mr. Perfect, never makes mistakes or bad judgements, and that´s boring.

Starkey said:
I found it GREAT so far. It is really not only a step up from UE, but a whole ladder up, IMHO. I am very pleased with the ships models, in-game fiction, backgrounds, characters and, specially, the gameplay and the dynamics of the game.
And you ain't seen... err, heard nothing yet :p. Tempest and I have been implementing voiceovers today - quite a difference they make :D.

I can only agree with Starkey, Standoff is a blast. You better start working on your WC skill again...

I've been playing UE again recently after news of Standoff's soon release but I dunno if that'll prepare me for this or not.

UE and Standoff will be challenging for entirely different reasons. killing 40 fighters is great, but if they trash your mission objectives, it's over.

I havent gotten to try myself yet dont have everything i need to play but I have been keeping up with the updates here and it sounds very impressive

Back