First Blush

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Well, I got The Reckoning & have played it thru the first couple of SP Missions and some non-plot related play. The ships that I have seen & flown have looked quite nice and have characteristics individual to each.

The Ferret is one that stands out to me since I found control quite difficult. Turning so quick it made targeting quite difficult. This maybe partially due to mouse only control.

The Broadsword without thrusters requires a new way of thinking. No AB burst to avoid fire or get more distance. Quite challenging at times.

Right off there are a some items that I believe should be addressed:
One is equipment balance. It seems most of the WC ships are capable of carrying more advanced weapons than are readily available in Liberty. Yes, some are as loot but not for purchase. This really develops a handicap as you progress. A possibilty here is to lower the LVL requirement to purchase some of the heavier weapons.

Second, is the L.F. shields. They are basically useless since it takes very little to eliminate them. In pitched battles frequent loss of shields is not a good thing. I do not kow if they were adjusted downward or if it is another issue. But it is quite frustrating. It would be nice to have heavier shields available. Some of the ships might be shifted to heavy fighter rather than leave all as light fighters.

Then there is the B & C variants. I am quite puzzed by this as there is no difference in stats. Usually when one variant follows another there is some sort of difference. More weapons, armour, shielding, cargo space or a combination there of. Well, there is one difference, price; which does seem odd.

Finally, consider loot diversification and increase. Make more loot available as you progress. And add items as some other MODs have. Just a thought to provide somethine new a more than was originally available.

Well, guess that will be all from the frog pond for now. Keep up the good work and I look for future enhancements.

Thanks for the thoughts.

As for the B and C variants, one is supposed to have Confed Markings and the other not. That is essentially it. As for the light fighter shields, they have not been altered in any way but we may have set all ships to light fighters. My bad if that's the case. I will look into it.

The main focus so far has been on integrating the ships into the game in such a way that they appear to be part of the original game, not just a 'bolt-on'. That means NPCs using the ships as well as the player, and where possible integration into the cinematics. I hope we are starting to get it right.

As for the Ferret, I understand what you are saying. You should try the Hornet! They are designed to be agile, I found a slight hand on the mouse was my only saviour.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Regards,
Acid.

Acid:
I've done a MOD for Tolwyn, integrating the ships into a previous mod I've done.
I redid the weapons to match WC/P weapons, all ships have level 6 shields, stats and handling improved, no restrictions on purchasing equipement (other than price), inclusion in the cinematics, use by npc's in & out of missions, etc.
Tolwyn sent me an IP address to upload the mod.
Unfortunately, I'm a 52 year old maintenance man with an antique computer running Windows 98SE. I have no idea how to access an IP address.
So, I emailed the mod (minus the ships) to him.
Actually, sent 2 versions, found something I'd missed while testing it.
Please email me at warzog@netmdc.com
Thanx!
warzog

Don't Feel Bad

I am even older & also running WIN98SE. But have not even been able to begin to figure out how MODding works.

Acid, if you want testing & such let me know.

Don't Feel Bad

I am even older & also running WIN98SE. But have not even been able to begin to figure out how MODding works.

To upload files to an IP you usually need and file transfer program.

Acid, if you want testing & such let me know.

You might head over to Lancer's Reactor at http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/

Go to the Freelancer Editing Forums...
Into the Editing Utilities forum...
Look up my 52 yr old post...
There are links to everything you'll need to start.
Wander the various forums, download some mods, and you'll catch on.
That's what I did.
(I'm quite good, too! Already uploaded to popular mods!)
Also, there's a "Script.xml Template", and of course the FL Mod Manager that are musts.
The template makes mod'ing much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back