Firekkan Concept Fighter design

Vermin

Spaceman
ok this is my take on a Firekkan Fighter, i used earth birds as a design point and tried to take in Firekkan culture. the way i see it the fighters would be very sleek and curvatious in design. im a bit puzzled on where to mount the engines i think they would be mounted on the wing tips as thats how birds generate their motion. anyway this was inspired by K'ki'Kya "Screamer" Conceptual Firekkan Light Fighter made by fat cat.

tell me what you think :)

Vermin

Attachments

• Firekkan.jpg
    Firekkan.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 186
Sphynx said:
Very, very good. Got any more?

cheers guys im glad its getting positive feedback so far, i havent done any more yet i have a few more ideas for firekkan ships, so ill probably get them down on paper this week

Vermin

A very good design, I would make it a bit longer and more straight, though. Other than than, a very good design. Also, I made renders of the cockpit for my 'Screamer' with HUDs and everything.

That fighter could have a wicked turn ratio with the engines mounted like they are on the far ends of the wings. Just lower the power of one wing's engine, while the other is on full blast, and it could whip around as fast as the g-forces and stabilizing thrust could handle. It might be more stable with engines mounted halfway down the wing... so an issue could be stabilization vs. maneuverability..

Thanks guys again,

I wonder what the cockpit would look like. Do you have any pictures of that?

Well at the moment i cant think of how to deisgn the cockpit, i think about how the instruments would be placed sideways instead of in front the pilot (birds eyes are on the side of their head more so so having them infront would mean the firekkan would have to turn his head slightly to see them which in combat wouldnt be efficient). so i have a few ideas but id like to see a firekkan pilot before putting my ideas down on paper for that - maybe an idea for someone else

i was wondering if you were planing on making a 3d rendering of your design

im not planning a 3d model because i cant model anymore :p but anyone is welcome to use it has blueprints just give me credit for the design

That fighter could have a wicked turn ratio with the engines mounted like they are on the far ends of the wings. Just lower the power of one wing's engine, while the other is on full blast, and it could whip around as fast as the g-forces and stabilizing thrust could handle. It might be more stable with engines mounted halfway down the wing... so an issue could be stabilization vs. maneuverability..

mounting the engines about half way down the top wing would be a good idea i didnt even think of that i was thinking at the top on the tips as well, the maneuverability would be really good as you said, plus birds are naturally very agile and fast.

Looks really cool. The design kind of reminds me of an eagle with its shape

i was going for that bird of prey look with it, i studied alot of birds in flight to work out the shape

A very good design, I would make it a bit longer and more straight, though. Other than than, a very good design. Also, I made renders of the cockpit for my 'Screamer' with HUDs and everything.

i was going for the swooping look of a bird and its a short range fighter, so i decided it needed to be short and fast (like an arrow) im likeing your cockpits for the screamer.

Vermin

Vermin said:
Thanks guys again,

Well at the moment i cant think of how to deisgn the cockpit, i think about how the instruments would be placed sideways instead of in front the pilot (birds eyes are on the side of their head more so so having them infront would mean the firekkan would have to turn his head slightly to see them which in combat wouldnt be efficient). so i have a few ideas but id like to see a firekkan pilot before putting my ideas down on paper for that - maybe an idea for someone else

Actually, Firekkans have their eyes in front, like owls.

As for the engine location, while out on the wings is nice, you may want to take into consideration the effects of asymetric thrust if one of the outer engine pods gets damaged. No matter where you put them, if not in the center, you have to worry about that, but with them out towards the ends of the wings if one side gets damaged you'll have a hellacious induced yaw. While, of course, the idea is to not get hit, the possibility it may happen shouldn't be outright dismissed, either.

well if youd don't mind i already started to make a model and i'm almost done with it i'll post it up as soon as i get it done

Death said:
Actually, Firekkans have their eyes in front, like owls.

As for the engine location, while out on the wings is nice, you may want to take into consideration the effects of asymetric thrust if one of the outer engine pods gets damaged. No matter where you put them, if not in the center, you have to worry about that, but with them out towards the ends of the wings if one side gets damaged you'll have a hellacious induced yaw. While, of course, the idea is to not get hit, the possibility it may happen shouldn't be outright dismissed, either.

I agree with you about the engines. However, If I not entirely wrong, the Firekkans wasn't actually a spacefaring race until the Kilrathis and the confederation showed up. So I would think it is quite understandable that the first firekkan designed fighters have some flaws. Not even confed could get it right all the times.
Look at the history of OUR world. There are a lot of "nice" little disasters out there.

To summarize. I like the design, it has some desing flaws yes, but don't we all learn from our mistakes.

Back