Finally got my HDTV

Jesus

Swabbie
Banned
Yup, that personal TV I was talking about for so long, I finally picked up. It's even better than I was hoping to get, and somedays I can't believe it's really as good as it is, I winded up with a SHARP Aquos, widescreen 26" HD LCD with an HDMI input. The picture is brilliant, and even better with the Component video cable I just got in the mail today for my Gamecube. Along with progressive scan on about 6/7 of my games, and widescreen in 1/7 of them(sadly, not a very high number, but it's a good 5 games or so), I'm ready for the next gen of consoles, an XBox360 definately on my list along with a Nintendo Revolution, I got it for a mere $560, barely used(manual wasn't even out of shrink wrap yet, came in all original packaging), and that's 1/3 the retail price at $1600. With 1 HDMI, a DVI, two component inputs, and three video/audio inputs(2 are secondaries to the component videos), I can hook up all the consoles in the world I could want. And, a small little S-video input for my laptop, in case I ever go through the bother of that.

I do hope to get a tower eventually, for real PC gaming, and when I do, I'll be using the TV as a monitor. Anyways, if you'd like to see it, you can see it in my room here, along with my futon and setup and whatnot. It's in the closet, like I said it would be, and it's soon going to be hanging from the wall so that I can plop my gamecube on the top of the TV stand and not go through the hassle of taking it out of the shelf every time I pop the lid. So yeah, I think I'm set for gaming for quite some time now. Perfect Dark Zero is going to be quite fun on there....

Huh...I could have sworn there was an edit button for this forum...

Anyways, I forgot to mention, those DBZ posters sticking out of the corners are really only placeholders. I once did like to read the series, but after seeing how awful the TV shows are, I'm getting rid of the stuff. All I need to do is find a good poster or two to fill up their spots.

I also got an Xbox from my neighbor's friend yesterday. I get to borrow it up until about the time when the 360 comes out, so I bought some $7 third party HD cables and a D-link wireless bridge(which will work with the Xbox and the 360) for a mere $20. I also moved the gamecube and N64 into the cabinet under the shelf, since both are top loading, and put the Xbox on the shelf. The TV will soon be mounted, as I bought a $20 wall mount today, and if you guys want to, I'll post more images when I have everything up and running.

I also got my Gamecube Component video cable in the mail, and it looks great. I'm just surprised no one has replied to this topic yet...

lol, Ed. Anyways, it looks like a nice screen. I was checking out HDTVs myself just this morning. I think I'm going to wait another year before purchasing mine though. I want to get something in the 42inch to 54inch range. I still don't know which would be better...plasma or LCD.

Jesus said:
I also got my Gamecube Component video cable in the mail, and it looks great. I'm just surprised no one has replied to this topic yet...

Most of the people who do most of the HDTV stuff were busy at DragonCon when you posted this thread.

Maj.Striker said:
I think I'm going to wait another year before purchasing mine though. I want to get something in the 42inch to 54inch range. I still don't know which would be better...plasma or LCD.

Those aren't the only major options, and I decided neither when I got mine a few months ago. Unlike the plasma or LCD, the DLP tvs are unable to get burned in images. If you're going to mainly be doing video games, DLP makes a lot of sense. While plasmas look better for movies, a lot of them don't support 720p, which will be the primary next generation console resolution. You're also paying for the slimness with a plasma or LCD. Comparable plasmas cost about twice as much as a DLP. If you're not going to be hanging it on a wall, that's unnecessary. My 52" DLP is only 14 inches or so at the deepest point, and it weighs only about as much as a 26" CRT would be.

Back