Fighting Style

Magnum

Rear Admiral
What is you guys' fighting style? Do you do a lot of technical flying with rolls and more advanced maneuvsers or just turn and shoot. Do you like to get close in and pound with guns or long range missile shooting. Are you good at precision deflection shots? Post here.

Personally, I only use missiles in cap ship defense when it is really critical, like in WC1, or when I want to end a fight fast. I favor heavy guns, even if it means sacrificing maneuvering a little, like the Raptor. I hate the Hornet's weak guns, and I would rather take a Scimitar. I try to get in close and fire more precision shots. Of course, ships like the Excalibur make it really easy to do stuff like that because it is faster, more maneuverable, and has better guns than almost any ship in WC3.

Anyway, post your styles here.

I tend to fire missiles at long ranges and then at close ranges scream in at enemy fighters using afterburners and pound them with gunfire. A particularly useful tactic I find in WCP

I turn and burn, being like a bulldog by not letting go of my target, but I am smart enoght to go after the most dangerouse target (like bombers), I use Guns most of the time, keeping the missiles for a time were I really need those, Only thing bad about the way my fight style is I dont think about the wingmans but I work well with most of the AI pilots on WC games.
WC P (and SO) made my change my attitude towards wingmans but I still forget about those (and try to do everthing by mayself).

I love leeting off the missiles then screaming in on afterburners, ploughing through their lines and then blasting them from behind with guns, good way not to lose the targets

I usally likes to use my guns at close range, and keep the missiles to when im heavily outnumbered, or have a target thats taking too much time to die :D. Is good to keep your wingmam alive and in shape, because you can actually need him sometimes...

Frankly, I just go in guns a blazin' w/ full afterburners. After about two minutes, there ain't noyhin left.

Oh yes, afterburns....very useful indeed :D
But remmember to save some fuel, you may need it sometimes to keep yourself alive.

[Edited by KillerWave on 02-15-2001 at 15:51]

My fighting style is lot twisting and turning. I afterburn a lot, and use my guns more then the missiles. I save my missiles for the heavier ships, and seldom fire something at the lighter vessels.

For the better kills (and to show-off...) and use the Q and W keys a lot. Nothing is better then to kill a bug when you come roling in.

About the sim in wcp (mission 5 i gues):

after 10 minutes, i had 50 kills.
That means 5 per minute. Isn't that much for the difficulty Nightmare ?

I prefer to fire off a missile, then pick a different target and close in on it with abs, finish that one off then check on the first one. It's usually gone, but not always. If there are groups of four or so I fire off one, then work on the others, but usually only one missile per group.

Dogfighting, I turn and shoot a lot, because it usually works. When it doesnt and I'm facing a better pilot, faster ship, etc, I often go for some more advanced stuff. I like turning in a sideways loop, then doubling back the other direction and nailing them. If I've got someone firmly planted on my tail, I ab away a bit, then spin and hit them on the way back (I forget the name for that one).

Of course, I do other stuff too, but in the possibility of an MP WC game sometime in the future, I'm not giving those away.

When an enemy flies out of view, i burn out, make a loop, fire the guns, etc...

In some hot situaties i love the FOF, fire 2 of them and you got 2 less bogies shooting you

My style differs. The styles I can still remember:
wc4
To kill a fighter afterburn to behind and at an angle fire 1 IR missle. alternatively use leech cannon. leech cannon works well if you boost your gun power.
To kill a cap ship, afterburn towards press b to select all my dumbfires, pull the trigger fly to next target.

wc2
spin around like a loonatic in the middle of a swarm of fighters with guns blazing and hope for the best.

wcp or secret ops
press esc, click on quit. do you want to quit, click yes
double click WcIV icon on desktop ;) .

privateer
turn off shields, turn away from target hold tab until target is off radar.

Theres nothing like taking on enemies head on, then turn 180 and stick to the six! He cant fire at you if you are behind him unless he has a rear turret, in which case you can still stick to the six, just manuver out of his gunfire! Let off an IMREC and BOOM! :)

RFBurns

"You are no match for me!" [Kilrathi, WCP]

Me, I'm a yank-and-bank expert. Once I arrive at the target, I
single out the most dangerous threat and try to cut
him out of the herd. Unlike most of the other flyers here,
I almost never fire a missile at long-range -- unless it's
a Mace :). I LOVE those babies.

But beyond that, I prefer to do all my shooting at knife-
fighting range, where it's almost impossible to miss.
I use a missile like a dagger -- a quick stab from
very close range in the hope of knocking the bad guy
out entirely. This may be preceded by a short blaster
preparation if necessary.

I get no points for bringing missiles home; so I try to
make sure that I use them all. Preferably at the
start of a battle -- Use of missiles allows me to thin
down the odds rapidly. This is crucial -- lower odds
means I am more likely to survive, my wingman will be
more likely to survive, and there are fewer ships that
can sneak by and deliver torpedoes. So.. I try to
win the battle with maximum firepower quickly, then leisurely mop up after the main threat has been
reduced or eliminated.

A question -- has anyone found a way to really effectively
use a wingman? Do you order them to Break And Attack
or to attack a particular target? How do you coordinate
with them? I haven't found them good for much besides
distracting a particular bad guy -- our wingmen's kill
production isn't high enough to suit me.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Well for wingman it's break&attack and forget ;) . Only exception is wc3. I liked to let my wingman take out the capships in that one. That was back when I still used torps because I had yet to learn about linking dumbfires. Linking dumbfires is the only time I fire missles in wcIV or wc3 at any real distance. Wc1-2 I often just fired them off when ever I got lock.

Burner slides mostly, try to remember to let loose a missile when im in close and his shields are down. Minor problem with collisions but thats not an issue in Prophecy.

I use afterburners to close with my oponants, use full guns in all situations except when I have a dust cannon, or a charging mass/fission when I always use them, once I have closed I line up and fire off 1 heavy shot with fission/mass or I just unlease a hail of shots, the more powerful the better. If i do not kill the enemy in that intitial run, i stop turn to follow them fire off a missile and then reignite my engines and persue until they are dead.

usually i afterburn towards them, take the hits on my front shields, then i get up their ass and pound them, regardless of any turrets. i kill all, then i notice the corvette and crap myself. i order my wingman in after it, they die and i swear. then i have to take it out myself, by doing afterburn runs with guns. i dont use missiles unless they are dumbfire or torps, for fighters i dont need them, for cap ships they wont even take down sields, even on salvo mode. this is all on ace/hard difficulty, unless i decide to be a pussy and do it on rookie for a laugh. in which case they all crash into each other and i come back not having fired guns

Back