FC 1.5 Status

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Hi all:

One goal for a 1.5 release was to have the player be able to control fighter turrets. This new feature is nearing completion. The hud and game logic is setup to handle this, it's now a matter of setting up the keyboard, mouse and joystick. You'll note the special turret targeting HUD, seen below in the picture.

I'd also like to look into making the movie playing between missions more customizable.

Once these 2 features are done, a 1.5 release should be coming soon.

turrethud.jpg

That sounds like good news.

And about movies, I implemented one movie already for the takeoff sequence in WC1 Remake.

I'm just wondering if the player-controlled turrets will eventually expand into player-controlled capships. One suggestion for the player-controlled capships is pressing an "F" key many times to take control of more than just three turrets. For example, F2 may cycle between six turrets, F3 could cycle between seven turrets, and F4 could cycle between five turrets, depending on how many turrets your capship has. The "F" key that you press to cycle between a certain group of turrets may have to be specified in the shipfile.

No plans on player controlled capships, I want to stick to getting existing WC features covered first. The new movie scripting features would let you say play conversation movies in Wc1 Remake from the gameflow, as well as special briefing movies and landing movies depending on the situation.

I don't know why it is that nobody makes mission briefings. I was thinking of adding some more features to that.

1) Labeled nav points in briefings
2) Allow recorded briefing audio from voice actors as well.

So what is it about briefings that is so intimidating? Any comments?

So what is it about briefings that is so intimidating? Any comments?

I've started to experiment with mission briefings, but they just turn out looking like...

crappybriefing.png

With ship meshes shown outside of the navpoint circle, and the navpoint circles intersecting each other, I wouldn't feel like releasing the mission briefing.

Are there any pointers, or tips to help me design the briefings?

I have released a mission with a briefing before (like 2 years ago actually... :( dang its been that long).

I have quite a few other briefings finished (maybe not polished) in my directory as well.

Sorry, Kevin. It has been a while and I have been meaning to do a briefing tutorial to get tips on how to manipulate the numbers.

Yeah, it would be great to have a tutorial. I'll try to put one together before the next release, unless someone volunteers to do it.

I'm should be able to do it, but it might be this weekday before it is ready. The RG forums are cleaned up now, and that tutorial section is still viable though could probably use an update on a few of the tutorials.

Iceblade, I read your tutorial on the RG forum and one statement was extremely helpful to me. I redesigned my briefing and it turned out much better than the first one I made.

Thank you!

newbriefing.png

I'm should be able to do it, but it might be this weekday before it is ready. The RG forums are cleaned up now, and that tutorial section is still viable though could probably use an update on a few of the tutorials.

Yeah, saw your nice briefing tutorial. If you have time to update it great. If not I'll add to it. In any case, I'm going to put it on the FC main page before the next release.

I feel your pain Kryan...but I also sympathize with what Eddie is probably going through...lack of time/enthusaism...

and I can't spell :p

I feel your pain Kryan...but I also sympathize with what Eddie is probably going through...lack of time/enthusaism...

and I can't spell :p

Certainly my time is limited, like others, but not a lack of enthusiasm. But the reality is, I'm after low hanging fruit, handle the easier stuff first. It's easier and simpler to add gui and scripting features. AI is really complicated, plus the 3d vector math, and it's really trial and error... I have no idea if a given AI change will be an improvement or a failure until after it's done.

Kyran, don't ignore 1.5, I'm adding features specifically for you that I think will be useful to you. These include captions in the comms. The movie playing flexibility to play movie conversations, prelaunch, briefings, and post launch movies to the point where you could play every movie and cutscene from WC1 at the right time, for example. And I've even added the ability to change the font color. Customizeable music. I made these changes for you and others, I hope you will use them.

Kyran, don't ignore 1.5, I'm adding features specifically for you that I think will be useful to you. These include captions in the comms. The movie playing flexibility to play movie conversations, prelaunch, briefings, and post launch movies to the point where you could play every movie and cutscene from WC1 at the right time, for example. And I've even added the ability to change the font color. Customizeable music. I made these changes for you and others, I hope you will use them.

Hey, sounds sweet. I'll probably refine the missions I already have to use the new features. The next few missions I'm planning to do focus heavily on attacking cap ships, which is pretty pointless when they don't fight back.

I saw the briefing tutorial.

Just one thing, though. If people really want to make their own exclusive briefings with the mission editor, I will be glad to write up on how to do that. It's a work in progress right now. I'll send it to you by e-mail when I am done.

BTW, don't you already have simple turret AI in FC 1.4? In WC1 Remake, the turrets on the Tiger's Claw turn towards me when I am flying around.

Back