FC 1.5 alpha

eddieb

Vice Admiral
First: wcnews admins, do NOT report this in the news or front page.
This is only for experienced modders, and is not tested, packaged, or supported.

That being said, since some have requested this here's an alpha Flight Commander 1.5. It has turrets and gameflow scripting in it, plus some other goodies. Beware, the briefing stuff will change, so don't focus on that until the full 1.5 is released.
http://flightcommander.solsector.net/FlightCommander1.5alpha1.zip

Downloading now, will report back soon. Will report back soon with initial impressions. Other goodies?

Just the usual movies in the gameflow, comms, mouse etc that you've seen before probably. Thanks for looking at it.

Wow, it is actually a significant jump from the previous version:
* main menu has animated doors, computers, and sound effects.
* Mouse support during flight.
* Captions
* Save variables between missions.
* You can have multiple insults, or any other sort of comm, for more variety.
* And some joysticks fixes for problems along the way, and this is before some of the latest stuff.

Do you keep track of all the changes from major release to major release?

Nav locations! What does that mean? Edit: now I see, in the briefing script you tell the game to print out some x,y,z locations for nav one.

Oh and your allies don't recognize it when you blow them with your turret that you are now a traitor.

The animation before the mission worked, after there was no animation to click on in the rec room. The rec room also looked like the default gameflow.

The command prompt that is always brought up, also said the engine was called the gameflow file for that mission a lot.

Nav locations! What does that mean? Edit: now I see, in the briefing script you tell the game to print out some x,y,z locations for nav one.

Umm, yeah, I'm in the middle of working on briefing scripting, so just ignore that.

Oh and your allies don't recognize it when you blow them with your turret that you are now a traitor.

Ah! You found a bug, thanks.

The animation worked, btw, but it was rather abrupt.

Huh? Which one?

The command prompt that is always brought up, also said the engine was called the gameflow file for that mission a lot.

Yeah, I left in the printouts so gameflow scripters knew exactly which file was being used.

The first one played, but the second one wasn't there. I mean the rec room had no Stiletto to click on after the mission because the background was the default gameflow.

Sorry about editing my previous post so much.

The first one played, but the second one wasn't there. I mean the rec room had no Stiletto to click on after the mission because the background was the default gameflow.

And that's intentional. It's to show you that you can have the room change. You can have a character appear for one mission, have nobody there in a second mission, and so on. It shows you that you can change the characters that appear and don't appear on a per mission basis. And yes she's cut off and the video is only a clip. It's just to demonstrate how to use the feature.

Sorry about editing my previous post so much.
Edit all you want.

Oh, sorry I misread the file. I saw the stiletto movie function after the after mission fiction and thought there was supposed to be a movie after the mission. Okay, and the before briefing function handles what movie plays before the briefing...IMO this is a lot easier than using the campiagn file prelaunch setting. This also allows for greater customization, so not every enter briefing room scene is the same everytime.

Nice. So one bug and eagerly awaiting the new briefing codes.

A pity I can't really use the new gameflow and animation features yet, :( but the engine will be ready to go when I get a 3d animator. :D And now I will also know what is needed from the animator.

A note/remainder to other modders: just because Stiletto doesn't move when the mouse rolls over her, doesn't mean that characters can't be set up to move a little like they did in Prophecy (they work just like doors in fact).

A note/remainder to other modders: just because Stiletto doesn't move when the mouse rolls over her, doesn't mean that characters can't be set up to move a little like they did in Prophecy (they work just like doors in fact).

True. I just wasn't in the mood to go through all the extraction and resizing. But in general, there's no reason why characters couldn't be animated.

The first mission of the Flightcommander campiagn Errandi: Test the turrets and the animation before the first mission, but start creating your own gameflows.

Don't stop there, though, that is pretty much most of what is there to test without creating your own scripts/missions/ships. I'll what I can do with the Shrike, myself.

Uhhh, how can you switch gameflow's for a certian mission? I have one, but all I get is the empty rec room...

Edit: How can you record a clip, and extract its sound?

Try first looking at the gameflow script file already done as an example: mission_a1.gameflow.lua

As for your second question, I am not sure.

Eddie, how do you rotate the turret mesh so that it is upside down.

Also, what do each of the joint constraint coordinates do?

Edit: I got your email eddie but I could still use some information what some of the aspects on the turret code in the ship.xml for ships that are imported from outside of SO.

I looked at the example, it didn't say show anything close to changing out the gameflow... well to better describe the question how do you change the background pic for a certain mission?

Eddie, how do you rotate the turret mesh so that it is upside down.

Let's look at it:
Code:
      <turret type="Gun Turret" mesh="devtr01.mesh.bin" damaged_mesh="" hit_points = "800" cockpitdirection="left">
         <turretlocation>
            <point x = "2.02869"  y = "0.243599"  z = "6.27313" />
            <rotation matrix = "0 0.882127 0.471012 0 0.471012 -0.882127 -1 0 0 " />
         </turretlocation>
         <barrel barrel_mesh="devtrg.mesh.bin">
            <point x = "0"  y = "0.167703"  z = "0" />
            <rotation matrix = "1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 " />
         </barrel>
         <turretmounts>
            <mount>
               <point x = "0"  y = "0"  z = "1.02852" />
               <weapon number = "43" />
            </mount>
         </turretmounts>
         <jointconstraint>
            <point x = "180"  y = "180"  z = "90" />
         </jointconstraint>
      </turret>

The joint constraints say you can only rotate around this axis by this many degrees. You usually want to use the defaults, or 90 or 180 degrees.

The way the turret's base is oriented is controlled by rotation matrix in turret location. It's a rotation matrix, which is hard for us humans to deal with. Try sticking a negative sign on everything in that particular rotation matrix, but no guarantees.

I looked at the example, it didn't say show anything close to changing out the gameflow... well to better describe the question how do you change the background pic for a certain mission?

Well, first you need to make a separate room for that mission. In gameflow.xml.
Then just call in your particular mission's gameflow's startup function

Gameflow_setStartingRoom

with the appropriate room number.

And read the gameflow editing documentation!

Back