Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Privateer 2

• Arena

• Total voters

Mincemeat

Doomsday's Neighbour
Whether it's a simple Heat Seeker or a ponderous Hellraiser Torpedo, ducking and weaving for a missile or torpedo lock is an indispensable part of every wingnut's experience. Which missile lock tone is your favourite of 'em all? The best music to your ears?

Personally I love the Armada tone for its dual-tone siren-like effect, nothing else sounds quite like it.

completely pointless poll ftw!

Is this the missile locking tone when someone locks on you, the tone when you lock on them or the bad-ass wc2 torpedo "locking" theme

The tone when you lock on to your victim, but feel free to discuss other in-cockpit soundscapes too.

I find it interesting that WC1/2 didn't have an audible incoming missile alarm at all.

completely pointless poll ftw!
Pointless, as opposed to all those extremely insightful polls about favourite fictional ships or characters?

I mean, really - yeah, this poll is pointless, but it's no more pointless than any other discussion in this forum. We spend our days talking about games that were published more than a decade ago - that's a hard thing to take seriously, so lighten up :).

Pointless, as opposed to all those extremely insightful polls about favourite fictional ships or characters?

I mean, really - yeah, this poll is pointless, but it's no more pointless than any other discussion in this forum. We spend our days talking about games that were published more than a decade ago - that's a hard thing to take seriously, so lighten up :).

I was joking! - truly arbitrary discussions are the best way of wasting time instead of working :D

I think it has to be the wc2 ping, just for the torpedo locking music before it, nothing satisfies more than the final ping and loosing that torpedo (and then the instant fury at it getting shot down) ;)

I voted for the WC 1/2 sound but to my shame I can't for my life not remember Armada's sound, though I am sure it'd be a close second. I disliked WC3/4's sounds most.

I always wanted to do a poll about which WC had the best sound effects (not music). In every WC game there is a great sound effect. E.g. in WC 3 and 4, the Photon guns had a very cool sound IMHO. Privateer's "armour hit" and "asteroid flies by" sounds were very cool, WCP's explosions are great but overall I think Armada has the best sound effects: the guns have a very "energized" sound, the "armour hit" sound is very good as well, as are the "shield hit" sounds and the explosions are powerful as well.

I have to agree with that actually, Armada definitely has the coolest all round sounds. everything feels meaty, shields sound like theyre taking damage, armour definitely does.

Armada's missile lock was definitely the finest missile lock in existence.

I think, like Mekt said, Armada had some of the best sound design in the entire series. That shield crackling sound in particular was wonderful. However, I don't entirely agree with Mekt, because I think Privateer had slightly better sound design still. For example, that jumping sound... and the armour hitting sound in Privateer was great too.

While consensus seems to be that Armada's lock sound was the best, everytime I close my eyes and try to imagine playing WC and locking a missile, it's always the WC3 lock tones that comes to my mind. I can hear it clearly in my mind even if I rarely played it in the last few years; it felt "real" as in very fitting into the WC3 visuals and atmosphere.

I cannot talk about missile locking tones without mentioning the WC2 torpedo lock tune. While not really a lock tone, it's the single most memorable and engaging gaming element of my entire WC experience. When I think of the time I've played any WC game, the very first thing that pops into my mind is a WC2 torpedo run, with the tune ending in perfect sync with the final lock. Then I really felt as if I was part of a sci-fi movie, long before WC3 and live-action movies.

I tried recreating the torpedo run tune in Standoff with a few game patches; unfortunately the result wasn't nearly as cool. WC2 ruled.

I think, like Mekt said, Armada had some of the best sound design in the entire series. That shield crackling sound in particular was wonderful. However, I don't entirely agree with Mekt, because I think Privateer had slightly better sound design still. For example, that jumping sound... and the armour hitting sound in Privateer was great too.

I couldn't agree more. You make an excellent point about Privateer. When I think of a ship making a jump I think more of the sound from Priv than any of the main games.

Well, I entirely agree with you that the Privateer "armour hit" (different when you were hit or the enemy) and "jump" sounds are the best in the series but counting all in all, for me Armada is best. Privateer no doubt a close second.

Edit: Does anyone per chance have Armada's missile lock handy, so I could listen it? I really don't remember which bugs me enormously.

I heartily recommend anybody who hasn't played WC1 with PC speaker sound to give that a go. It's a completely different experience, and for some sound effects seem to convey the intent better than the Adlib/Soundblaster synthesis.

The signature sounds in WC2 for me were the explosions - done with clever use of the drum kit, I suspect.

Whenever I think of WC3 I hear the thunderbolt's three guns belting out a cacophonous chord of death.

The sound that stood out to me in Privateer was the almost "electric" flyby noise.

I find the incoming missile siren in WC4 and Prophecy/SO quite overwhelming, but I guess it conveyed the intent.

I voted for WC3 as that was the first great tone that popped into my head. And then as I hit the submit button the Armada tone popped in there. Both are great. Good poll.

You forgot super wing commander! That would be by far my first choice. Second would be Armada I guess.

It occurs to me how amazing it is that there are ten different lock sounds for ten different games -- how easy would it have been to record one in 199x and keep using it forever? It really speaks to the importance of overall sound design in these games over some sort of cookie cutter here-are-the-parts-we-need mentality. Art versus product and all that good stuff.

Back