Favorite Ships

Luck

Spaceman
Okay, I'm sure it's been done before, but just out of curiosity...what do we love around these parts?

Personally I would go with the Raptor for its looks, armament, and armor. I was never afraid of a Gratha in that tub and it was the only ship that I didn't get nervous about fighting Jalthi in.

Second to that I'd say the Tarsus from Priv for its endearing jack-of-all-trades qualities. It's a well rounded ship and with 2 Tachs and 20 IR missiles, it's hard to lose a fight. Of course the Centurion is tougher and faster, but I like getting that extra income from the cargo hold each trip. Only complaint would be the lack of turrets.

Haha, round 24578. Yes, the Raptor is a beaut...easily my all time favorite. Just a thing of beauty! Just look at my Raptor thread...

Already did and left a post. Congrats on a job well done. The Raptor to me is like the Harrier in real life...a lot of people want to call it ugly, but I find it gorgeous!

Either the Vampire (awesome ship), the Dragon (also awesome ship), or the Rapier (not quite as awesome of a ship, but I had a lot of good times in a Rapier)

Scimitar and Raptor from WC 1. I liked flying the Raptor, and I just liked the Scimitar.

Thunderbolt VII from WC 3.

Vindicator and Banshee from WC IV. The Avenger wasn't that bad either.

My favourite ship has to be the excalibur. The first time I flew it I thought... wow, this ship flies great. And as an added bonus it looks great too.

The Exalibur was a nice ship, its too bad you couldn't fly it in the first part of WC 4, but were stuck with the Hellcat and Longbow.

hmmm it's difficult to say, those ships are all great for the certain situation.

If i try to think about all the ships and what i prefered the best I would pick Thunderbolt VII

On the second place I would go with Hellcat V/Banshee

for the third i'll go with Rapier

WC3: Excalibur- Slide capable, auto targeting Tachyons (my joystick isn't centered, so aiming is a real pain), lots of hardpoints, and a good amount of armor. I also think it looks good- though I might like the look of the Thunderbolt better.
WC4: Bearcat (Dragon for Torping and long missions requiring tons of afterburners). If WC was competetive multiplayer, I would probably pick the Dragon because I think I could use the steath to lock on, fire and recloak to make myself frustratingly invincible. I generally prefer the Bearcat in the game though because you can close on the enemy to fire missiles close enough to render their decoys ineffective and if things get rough you can afterburn and autoslide to the next navs on your mission. I don't like the look of either of those ships though. I also wished you could use the Excalibur when flying for Confed. They seemed to be given a state of the art carrier, you'd think they could at least have some better ships than just the Hellcat to fly. I was upset that even the bum that you met in the bar gets to fly an Excalibur, but Colonel Blair- hero of the Kilrathi war- only gets a Hellcat.

I do have theories for that: 1)Tolwyn wanted the pilots to be flying inferior fighters so his Black Lance forces could have their way with them.
2)The government cut back the budget so that it was cheaper to maintain a single multipurpose fighter (space and atmospheric combat) so parts could be bought in bulk and maintenance and manufacturing would be easier.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
2)The government cut back the budget so that it was cheaper to maintain a single multipurpose fighter (space and atmospheric combat) so parts could be bought in bulk and maintenance and manufacturing would be easier.

The Excalibur is atmospheric-capable as well, though.

In WC4N, there was also a T-bolt squadron aboard the Lex, which is what Blair made as "his" squadron. He defected in a T-bolt, which was later tweaked up to roughly Hellcat handling and speed, but with significantly increased stress on the airframe (not helped any by assorted damage from the battles).

As for the Excalibur, it was given a relatively limited production run, compared to the Hellcat, and also had a lot more fancy toys to drive up costs, even with the downgraded WC4 model (ions replacing the reapers, 2x4 missile racks instead of 4x3 racks).

In WC4N, there was also a T-bolt squadron aboard the Lex, which is what Blair made as "his" squadron. He defected in a T-bolt, which was later tweaked up to roughly Hellcat handling and speed, but with significantly increased stress on the airframe (not helped any by assorted damage from the battles).

That's funny. I wonder why the novelist chose to do this instead of the Hellcat-Pliers scrapping it method the game uses. Does Blair continue to use the T-Bolt until they get Dragons?

Raptor is my overall favorite. I love the excalibur too though, not so much as it was kind of an uberfighter but I really love the wc3 paint scheme of it. Bearcat was really fun in wc4. Panther and Vampire were great in WCP/SO just because of the unique abilities each was given.

Mad Cow said:
That's funny. I wonder why the novelist chose to do this instead of the Hellcat-Pliers scrapping it method the game uses. Does Blair continue to use the T-Bolt until they get Dragons?

Pretty much, as I recall, though later the Intrepid did pick up some Hellcats, during the raid on the carrier in Speradon.

As for why the different manner, no idea, but I am ticked that we weren't given that option in the game. :p

Back