Fatal Error Loading Mission 8

D

dafusion

Hi, I hope this hasn't come up before but...

When Mission 8 loads, the little movie about transfering the shuttle plays, then the rock ship cockpit loads up with you ready on the flight deck. Then, the game suddenly crashes and I get the following error:

Fatal Error
"Could not locate object on formation."

I suppose another way to get around this is to skip this mission... if there's a way :p

Hopefully somebody knows what the issue is, thanks for the help!
I can't wait to play more :(

Hey. Hope you liked the game before this point--it is very good.

Well, I didn't have any part in coding the missions, but this could be one of a few problems that has been caused by the 1.02 patch for UE. What are your machine's specifications--this may or may not have anything to do with this.

I just tried it and it worked fine, you may have to wait for Quarto, though.
That will be a long time from now, so don't wait up. :p

Darn it!

Well I'm running an XP1700+, Radeon 8500, 1GB RAM, and WinXP SP1
Everything so far has been running great, and yup, I've been enjoying it a lot thus far!

Well, I have encountered this problem before and it was caused by having too many pilots on my wing--at least that is what I think it was. Although IIRC, I never did find out how to fix that and just loaded an earlier pas file.

But that would not be the case at all here, so there is obviously another cause that made this error pop up. Wait, this could be a problem with the asteriods, because they are randomly generated every mission. How many times have you tried the mission?

It worked fine on my machine, though, and I have an XP and a GeForce 4, but a Gigabyte of RAM is a bit much don't you think. :D :p ;)

The RAM was cheap at the time, I couldn't help myself :D

Good news though, you were correct about the issue being with the 1.02 UE patch.
I reinstalled UE, minus the 1.02 tre file and it works like a charm.

Thanks for all the help!

hmmmm I should really register so I can edit rather than add another post :p
I'll get to that later...

I didn't read your previous message very clearly, but to answer about loading the
mission over, I tried about 10 times or so, but to no avail.

So I'm pretty sure it was caused by the 1.02 update.

Hey, Quarto! You got an error, buddy. You should be able to figure it out, I would but the iffs don't decode into the easier pascal coding. :p

Time for there to be a 1.02b. eh? eh? :D :D :D

;)

Well, I forgot that I had reinstalled all my UE files and it was running with the orginal UEmiss.tre, and I got that error as well.

You should really consider joining the forums, that way you can edit your posts when need be.

Hmm, great. I wonder what I changed... pretty sure M8 was one of the ones where I only made cosmetic changes.

Oh well, tune in for 1.03... should be available around the same time, next year :p.

No, really, I'll look into it.

dafusion said:
Good news though, you were correct about the issue being with the 1.02 UE patch.
I reinstalled UE, minus the 1.02 tre file and it works like a charm.
Is that all the problem is? A bit more than a month ago I finally got a new computer and that meant I could actually play UE without having the game throw me back to Windows every time there were too many capships on screen (Mission 2A).

Last weekend, I managed to squeeze in some time to play it - I got up to Mission 8A, and also suffered this "Could not locate object on formation" fatal error. So I decided to play the losing track too, but after using autopilot for the first time in Mission 5B, the fatal error also occurs. I'm using UE 1.02, so if only the patch is to blame, I guess I can get back to blasting the bugs out of Kurasawa very soon. :)

Interesting... 8A and 5B. Once I get back into WCPPas editing, I really need to take a look at what that patch might have screwed up.

Hey, why don't you just send the source code for one of these missions to a coder, you are still trying to stablize your machines condition.

And, no matter how much I want to get at that code--even pieces--I probably couldn't figure this out very quickly. But you really need someone else to at least have a wack at it. Two coders are better than one.

Say, is there anybody--who is more advanced than I am at WCPpas--that is not busy with a project--like Standoff?

Eh, that would be a waste of time - it's quite time-consuming to figure out somebody else's mission. Besides, if I'm the one who made the changes that result in the crash, it seems probable that it'll be easiest for me to find the problem itself...

And no, there isn't anybody out there advanced in WCPPas who's not involved with Standoff. Well, actually, there is Thomas Bruckner, but he's pretty much retired.

Too easy. Uploaded a new version of the patch. The"Could not locate object on formation" issue in 5b and 8a should now be gone. If anybody finds any other problems with the patch, let me know.

So what was the problem? A pity I've finished most of UE (other commitments won't let me persist with it right now), else I'd be happy to try it out. :/

So what was screwing it up, was it just the fact that you didn't change a name or something in a bit of code later on?

I had assumed that when you declare a capship like this...

Object Hydra1(Capship) as "Hydra"

...only the target string of the capship in question is changed to Hydra, while the mission continues to refer to it as Hydra1. However, it turns out that the "as" thing changes the name of the object itself. Consequently, when I tried to have two Hydras in 5b both identifed as just plain "Hydra", the compiler understood they were separate objects, but the game did not, and got confused. The same problem happened in 8a, except with the Dauntless - for reasons I don't even remember any more, in this mission there is a separate Dauntless for the briefing, so I ended up having two objects claiming to be "BWS Dauntless" (silly, since as you can imagine, there is no need for briefing objects to have target strings in the first place, so it's not something I needed to alter).

Thankyou, that is something I need to remember.

Hey, if this WCPpas stuff starts to pick up--you know more people wanting to learn--I think a tips pas tutorial would be worthwhile to create. I might even write it--be simple stuff like this and "creating a basic mission with a player and a nav and a few other essentials so to save time" kind of tips.

Back