Famous Wc fans

what the J stands for?

i remmeber a simpsons episode where Homer J. simpson goes and find out what the J stands for...as he is about to find out he sais like ; "from now on i will nolonger be know as Homer J. Simpson, but now people will call me...Homer....Jay Simpson!
biggrin.gif

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Realy WC fans support the WCESCRP

Last edited by a moderator:
J stands for John.

Don't be surprised though...
Personally, JMS is an unbelievable person, when it comes to his imagination (just look at B5).
Too bad Crusader crashed and burned.

Just FYI, after the first 13 episodes of Crusader, the project was canned. A few months later, it was reinstated. THIS time though, the big honchos wanted to make it more like a 'Baywatch' type sitcom (more or less in JMS' words on his live interview). JMS was disgusted by this, and left the project.

Anyone who has seen episodes 14 and over, that was not made by JMS...
Looks like JMS strikes out!

I don't see the appeal of Babylon 5, I really don't. I tried to watch it a couple times (a couple days ago, actually) and I just could not bring myself to like it. It's too much like DS9, and DS9 is one of my favorite shows, so it pales in comparison. At least to me, that is.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited June 10, 2000).]

I don't see the appeal of Babylon 5, I really don't. I tried to watch it a couple times (a couple days ago, actually) and I just could not bring myself to like it. It's too much like DS9, and DS9 is a good show, so anything trying to be like it pales in comparison

That's exactly what I've thought at the begining, but after I've seen some of the episodes of the 3rd season, I was hooked. But from what I've seen, try to get yourself a copy of "In the Begining" (my fav B5 *movie*) to watch, or other one of the more *action packed* episodes. Maybe that'll do the trick
wink.gif

Oh and FYI, did U know that the guy who plays cpt. Giden in "Crusade", Gary Cole, also played Greg Brady in the Brady Bunch movies?
eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Hero (edited June 10, 2000).]

Hmmm, is it just me or does that Jerry Pournell guy seem a little too old to be into space combat sims?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Wubba? There are no more than 13 episodes of Crusade... the show was canceled mid season and never restarted. Midway through these 13 episodes TNT compalined about the look of the show and had the uniforms and sets re-made -- but did nothing to the plot.

And, IIRC, the J. stands for Joseph
smile.gif

(To wit, I also note that the premiere of Deep Space 9 and the first B5 movie aired on first on the same day -- nobody's ripping anybody off)

As for Pournelle... how can somebody be too old to be a WC fan (G)? Especially when you're one of the greatest living sci fi writers *and* a well respected computer geek (G)

LOAF: I never said anybody was ripping anyone off, I just said it was too similar, but not as good as, DS9. That's all.

Hero: Nope, I've seen that "In the Beginning" thing. Didn't like it.

------------------

Oh, didn't know that. Just searched and went to the 1st page I could find on the guy. It just said: J.P. : author and had a pic.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Midway has already past the 13 episodes marker LOAF. I've seen 5 of the newer episodes myself (and its like watching the original Star Trk [which I happen to like], but they put to much garbage into the story).
They've done up to 25 episodes, but now have stopped.
As for viewing the extra 12 episodes, you would have had to seen it on the main channels when it came out, because Midway has vitoed the whole lot.

I kind of avoided this topic because it was pretty boring at first, but I hadn`t realized it had developed into this.

Anyway, I didn`t know they cancled Crusade
frown.gif
, I really enjoyed that show, and IMO B5 was much much better than DS9.
I don`t know why, but the creators of the Star-Trek series were always reluctant to make the the episodes develop into much more dramatic scenes. They were always preventing wars, and the action scenes were minimal.
B5, however, always developed the story. There were, of course, side tracks and spinoffs, but none-the-less, the story was a 5 season spanned story, and that`s what made it much more interesting than DS9.
Besides, the humans were much more believable as a race in B5 than in ST. Not all nice and shiney.

Here's how JMS describes the differences between Star Trek and Babylon 5:

"...The differences between Babylon 5 and Star Trek are two-fold. One *flips open an open palm* is that Star Trek mediates on a single goal; that being exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life. Babylon 5, however, mediates on the purpose of natural development and the imagination of our writers. That does bring in a similiarity though. Both Star Trek and Babylon 5 base their aliens apon a bipedal structure. Two arms, two legs, a torso, and a head with two eyes, two ears, and a mouth.
This is done because we've realized that not only must a show be believeable, it has to also react to the watchers mind. Us, as aliens, are bipeds with all the same rudimentary ligaments. If the watcher can relate something from him or her just from the look of a character, it makes the show more enjoyable.
Now, the second difference *opens his other open palm*, is that Star Trek bases each episode to only a single pattern. It starts at A; usually being on the bridge. During the episode, it progresses in its own fashion. But... at the end of the episode it ends right back at A.
For example, if you were to watch any two episodes of Star Trek consecutively, you'll see that they both fit identically in the timeline structure.
As for Babylon 5, it starts with A, and progresses to B, C, D... and at the end of the episode, it ends with E.
If you were to watch two episodes of Babylon 5 consecutively, you'll see that they both fit in different places of the storyline; because it is a story itself.
Babylon 5 is a novel; with each episode relating to a chapter..."

JMS continues with further descriptions of other things.

Anyways, take what you just read, and put those pieces together.

Quite right Metras, Quite right.
That`s basically what I was trying to say.
Of course, ST does progress over time, but if you took all the progress that`s being made over the years, you could probably fit it in a single 2 hour movie.
That, IMO, is what makes B5 more interesting than DS9.

34 years of Star Trek into a 2-hour movie? I don't think so, Mad Hatter.
wink.gif
Hell, I probably shouldn't even have brought it up. Oh, well.

Anyway, what about DS9 humans being all nice and shiney? Anyone ever heard of the Maquis? The Orion Syndicate? Even occasionally on the Next Generation. I mean, look at Capt. Picard after he was assimilated by the Borg in the episode, " Best of Both Worlds." He was downright brutal in First Contact (" The line must be drawn here! This far and no further!"). DS9 tried to develop humanity into a more believable race, while, I'll admit, TOS, TNG, and VOY had people as way too good.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited June 12, 2000).]

And still, DS9 isn`t considered the best in the series. It ranks 3rd out of the 4.
BTW, you shouldn`t take everything I say literally. I was simply trying to make a point.

IMHO DS9 was the best of the series, particularly after it's first couple seasons. It was a lot more thought than action oriented, and I particularly liked the shifting alliances and seeing some of the darker aspects of Starfleet. The fact that there were elmenst in Starfleet who were willing to use dirty tricks to win the war with the Dominion. The other series were good, particuarly TNG (also after about the second season), but DS9 has been the best.

Back