Famous Flight Suit Now For Sale (February 9, 2011)

Woah! And to think I gave my extra Prophecy flight suit away...

Very cool, I hope Mr. Oldziey is happy with the price... and that it convinces some other Wing Commander prop owners to come out of the woodworks and sell some things!

I expect to see everybody who was willing to spend $500 on this in Austin for the Wing Commander concert--Firekka's Finest and Cobalt Blues are on me.

Well, I tried. I swear that every time I ever bid on anything rare on Ebay, no matter what figure I put in I'm always the runner up. I made Mr. Oldziey an extra $250 if nothing else.....

I will give it a good home :cool:

Glad to hear it. I'm very curious to know what I'd need to have bid to win but I don't actually expect you to tell me.

As far as BanditLoaf's Prophecy flight suit goes, I can't speak for anyone else but I wouldn't have been half as interested in it as the Wing Commander 4 one so there is no way I'd have bid anywhere near as much.

Congrats! :)

Be sure to include a photo when it shows up!
- Kev

(And, same goes for me - a Wing Commander 3 or 4 flight suit would be awesome; Prophesy - not so much ..... Although, isn't that picture of Mark Hamill from the auction from Prophesy? It's been forever since I played the games, but I thought that was the only one he had his beard in?)

Be sure to include a photo when it shows up!
- Kev

(And, same goes for me - a Wing Commander 3 or 4 flight suit would be awesome; Prophesy - not so much ..... Although, isn't that picture of Mark Hamill from the auction from Prophesy? It's been forever since I played the games, but I thought that was the only one he had his beard in?)

Will do.

Actually does anybody have any pictures of this suit being used on screen at all on WC 4 or anything else? Its been a while since ive played also, and I tried looking through some pics but could not locate the same one from WC4. It could even be from prophecy and George was mistaken?
If anyone can help me out with a picture or even video of it from the game i would really appreciate it.

That was close! :)

"Yeah, the flight suit appears to be the Prophecy costume"

This auction was definitely an instance of me jumping in without thinking - damn eBay and my impulsiveness :)

After looking a little more, it seems to me that the WC4 Flight Suits are more of a light brown/beige, and Mark Hamill's hair in the snapshots is definitely from Prophecy ... In short, no sour grapes as it is still cool that Col.-Luke-The Joker-Skywalker-Blair once laid claim to this outfit, Prophecy just wasn't a fav of mine...

All the best,
- Kev

Don't feel badly--the Prophecy costumes are *much* nicer than the Wing Commander III/IV ones. I have a Prophecy flight suit and a WC3/4 tan one and the Prophecy version is much more detailed (the WC3/4 flight suits also got the crap beaten out of them... they were reused between the two productions with most of them being dyed grey at one point for use as Border Worlds suits... and they all had their patches/labels/etc. removed for use on Prophecy so they just look like big brown or grey bags now).

Don't feel badly--the Prophecy costumes are *much* nicer than the Wing Commander III/IV ones. I have a Prophecy flight suit and a WC3/4 tan one and the Prophecy version is much more detailed (the WC3/4 flight suits also got the crap beaten out of them... they were reused between the two productions with most of them being dyed grey at one point for use as Border Worlds suits... and they all had their patches/labels/etc. removed for use on Prophecy so they just look like big brown or grey bags now).

Does your prophecy flight suit look just like the one on auction? Any idea who wore yours?

I don't really feel badly, as I would still have bid and likely won it even if I knew it was from Prophecy and been happy with it. Though the fact that it was listed as being from WC4 likely resulted in the auction pulling higher bids than it would of, especially considering -Pix- the 2nd highest bidder pretty much clearly admitted to as much. Sux for me i guess, but I should have looked into it beforehand I suppose. Oh well, it was just tax return funny money at least, heh.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't win this now. It's still a great thing to own but it was listed as being used in WC4 which is what added most of the value as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure it's a honest mistake but if it had been me I'd be pulling out of the sale on that basis.

Goes to show I should check more carefully, although if I had won it and never found out I'd have been perfectly happy with exactly the same item.

Well, I guess if there's this much interest the CIC might reopen the sales of the replicas (they're very nice)...

Well, I guess if there's this much interest the CIC might reopen the sales of the replicas (they're very nice)...

I hope they do! I would love to get my hands on one without having to mortgage the next few years of salary to do it!

Yeah I'd love a replica too, the trouble is -- and no offence to anybody who already has one of these, I'd never actually find a time or place to wear it. For memorabilia's sake, then why not? But if it was for me to collect, I ought to seek out an original.

Now a forum newbie normally starts his first thread with the line 'I'm a lifelong WC fan and...' - and this is what I'd originally typed in this post, but the cliche is old and I'm starting to question my credentials as a fan alongside most of the hardcores in here. The suit thing has got me thinking about it again. Apart from other gamers I know, I seldom mention my obsession with Wing Commander to anybody else, perhaps this makes me a bad fan, I just don't feel all that comfortable telling my friends I've devoted hours/weeks/months/years of my life to a twenty-year old computer game franchise, regardless of how much I love these titles and will never be without them - and therefore (unless there was a gamer party) I just wouldn't wear the suit.

Except for posing in private perhaps.

All that said, lots of my fellow 'somewhere in our twenties' types are just as fond of Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter...hell some of them even Pokemon(!) I'm sure they wouldn't wince at buying and wearing the associated apparel. Yeah, perhaps I'm a bad fan - but despite my love for all things WC, I've been thinking that since I started posting here that I really don't know what defines a true fan, things like this confuse me.

Fleet Action said:
Kirha simply looked at him, shook his head, and continued on.

Though the fact that it was listed as being from WC4 likely resulted in the auction pulling higher bids than it would of, especially considering -Pix- the 2nd highest bidder pretty much clearly admitted to as much.

I copied George's text about WC4 word for word, but I thought it'd be obvious that it was a Prophecy suit to anyone crazy enough to place a substantial bid. :) The WC3/4 suits are a different color and there was a picture of a Prophecy polaroid for comparison.

The sales were never closed for lack of interest. We can just never find a reliable person to volunteer to put them together.

"but I thought it'd be obvious that it was a Prophecy suit to anyone crazy enough to place a substantial bid"

I put in a "crazy" bid of severa hundred; not enough to win, obviously, but substantial enough - and I only went by Mr. Oldzey's word that this was from Wing Commander 4. I would have been VERY disappointed, had I won and paid for it, to realize after the fact it was actually from Prophecy. Oh well, since the winning bidder is happy either way, at least Mr. Oldzey got at least $400 more than if it was listed for what it was...

I'm certain that it was an honest mistake; just a case of buyer beware....

just a case of buyer beware....

"It's MOST LIKELY the same costume worn by Mark Hamill as he portrayed the character of Captain Blair."

To me, the thing that makes it most valuable is whether or not it was worn by Hamill, and George clearly states that he's not absolutely sure of that. Whether it was possibly worn by Hamill in WC4 or WC5 seems an odd thing to get hung up over to me. :)

Actually, just the undisputable facts alone that it's an authentic Wing Commander flight suit that was worn by George Oldziey makes it pretty darn collectible in my eyes. :)

Back