Family tree Novel

Dahan

Rear Admiral
G'day folks
Ever since I played Wing Commander I have enjoy from start til finished.
When I was introduced to Lt Winston 'Vagabond' Chang, I got very interested because he was the similiar surname to mine (Cheng)
Since then when it came out, I have been reading up the novels that I could grab and finding out other characters and other information.
For the last year and a bit I have been writing a fiction on a pilot who is related to Vagabond and Admiral Chang in the Battle of Earth.
I want to know where would be the best place to obtain all information for all fields from the Wing Commander Universe

A lot of that information is scattered around. We have a partial encyclopedia section and we host fleet tactics with info. WC in Russia has some history and there are some other sites. What might be better is to post some of your ideas here and people can help provide some specific details about the area of Wing Commander you're focusing on.

As a followup to this, Loaf, perhaps you'd know the chances of this but say someone were to write a truly decent fan fiction novel based on the Wing Commander series (at least in that timeline). I mean a very good set of fiction here with a professional edge. Say someone here in the community made a great cover graphic for it...any chance Baen (or other applicable publisher) would be interested in printing it? Just curious on how tightly the copyrights are held...

Probably not - licensed novels are generally done on a packaged basis. Baen's book packager negotiates with EA to publish {X} Wing Commander novels, and then he assigns those novels to {X} authors. New authors generally don't start out doing licensed work like that - get some original fiction published first.

Probably not, as they spell and pronounce their names differently (Fleet Action = Admiral Ching).

Pronounciation

I stand corrected it was Admiral Ching at the Battle of Earth, but still, it has still convince me to still try and write a short story/novel about the characters.
Like I said after seeing Vagabond and reading up the other characters I am willingly to try. I pretty much have started pretty much into it.

Family name

As it terms of the name, Ching although spelt differenty can often be prounced the same way as Chang and Cheng.
Chang and Cheng get mistaken quite alot of times, and Ching can be mistaken for Ching.
So it is very possible that Vagabond may have some relation to Admiral Ching but from and cousin level.
eh I am trying to fit everyone all together

Now there's a character who might have made an interesting book. Someone else on the CIC was talking once about doing a draft of something in the Wing Commander universe but not about fighting in space. Perhaps just write about those big gaps in Vagabond's bio and make a cool story out of that. I know you find out later why those gaps were there because of the stuff he did with that doctor where millions were killed, someone remind me what that was all about. But surely that's not the only history he had with his espionage experience.

the stuff he did with that doctor where millions were killed, someone remind me what that was all about. But surely that's not the only history he had with his espionage experience.

Demolitions, not espionage. He had been assigned to Dr. Severin (T-Bomb guy), who'd killed millions of people in a demo test (on "Pax 7").

But doesn't Eisen say to Blair when Sosa and Vagabond are going to that comm station that, "well, as you know Vagabond has some espionage experience..."

Dahan said:
So it is very possible that Vagabond may have some relation to Admiral Ching but from and cousin level.
eh I am trying to fit everyone all together
Not exactly. The Chinese have many different written characters that are pronunced similarly, and are spelled very similarly when transliterated into the Latin alphabet. However, their meaning is entirely different. So, Ching and Chang are most definitely not the same.

What's more, the very fact that they're ethnically Chinese makes it pointless to assume a relationship based on a similar name - there's over a billion Chinese, and a lot of repetition in last names.

Shipgate said:
But doesn't Eisen say to Blair when Sosa and Vagabond are going to that comm station that, "well, as you know Vagabond has some espionage experience..."

Not in relation to the Dr. Severin stuff, though.

I've been actually toying with the idea of trying to do a WC fiction that is quite different from the normal. I was thinking of a writing a story during the period of FA, except from the POV of a young man who right before the truce is going to enlist in the space forces and follow his older siblings into combat. Instead the war ends and he stays on Terra until BoT and watches kilrathi missiles rein from above. Basically a story about the home front and the events after BoT (a lot of cities were totally destroyed, so earth economy and atmosphere [from debris] probably wasn't doing all that well). I've been thinking about it for a while and have been trying to thoroughly outline the plot. Hopefully if I can bring it all together, maybe after school starts I might have something to show.

And what did you say????

Quarto said:
Not exactly. The Chinese have many different written characters that are pronunced similarly, and are spelled very similarly when transliterated into the Latin alphabet. However, their meaning is entirely different. So, Ching and Chang are most definitely not the same.

What's more, the very fact that they're ethnically Chinese makes it pointless to assume a relationship based on a similar name - there's over a billion Chinese, and a lot of repetition in last names.

That is true about us Chinese people. However one has to remember that although our characters are written differently and pronunce differntly families can be related depending on the family tree. Thereforce I can possible make out a family tree from Admiral Ching to Lt Winston 'Vagabond' Chang.
Like I said although not related by name, but possibly there many be some relation down the family line, which I am taking a chance at.

Back