Fahrenheit 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one, teensy little problem with that article on the draft: it's referencing bills that were introduced in January 2003 during a session of Congress that ended a good bit ago, and neither of them had any significant "traction" in committee, let alone enough "legs" to make it to the floor of either house of Congress for a general vote as of when the 2003 session of Congress had ended.

Nevermind the fact that both were proposed by Democrats opposed to the Iraq action for the purpose of political grandstanding, and are built on a premise (that certain groups, particularly blacks, are disproprtionally representative in casualty rosters) that isn't all that well backed by actual numbers (the Feb 4, 2003 edition of the Washington Post has an article on the proposal, with numbers of casualties for Vietnam and the first Gulf War, the 2 most recent documented examples of major conflict as of the time of publishing).

Long story short, the odds of the draft being restarted in the US are about those of the sun suddenly going nova in the next 5 minutes.

As for the infowar site, it still amuses me how much value people put in them, simply because it confirms and supports their existing prejudices, facts be damned.

asdf

"so? does it matter where the funding comes from? Hezbolla is not 100% terrorists, they also take care of families that would not be able to survive without their help."

Of coures it matters where funding comes from, because a group does some good things does not justify it as a whole. I am sure Hitler did a lot of good things to help families survive, but those deeds do not justify everything he does.

Colonel Sanders said:
The Derelict was vaporized along with the colony. The scene where Newt's parents find the derelict is also in the novelization.

It was in the director's cut of the film as well, but has it ever been established that the derelict was vaporized? All that I ever heard in the movie regarding it's location to the colony was that it was at a grid coordinate in the middle of nowhere. That may or may not mean that it was within the 30km blast radius.

I don't know why in the world I think it was vaporized, but I do think as much. I dunno what line, action, or what not gave me that impression, but I've got it, and I usually don't just draw conclusions out of nowhere.

I just to try and see 9/11 and it was sold out until 12:40 tommorow! Got tix for then but damn, this movie is gonna stir up so interesting reactions...

Everyone likes clean shaven....nobody likes it when there's bush....

Dundradal said:
Everyone likes clean shaven....nobody likes it when there's bush....
Jesus Christ, you retarded little frat fag, this thread is idiotic enough without you being a moron in it. Sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.

I got invited to see that movie last night but I decided to stay home and play Metal Slug. I'm eager to see this little film, though. Definitely going to rent or buy that when I can, those "trailers" make it look fun, especially the older one.

(...) had heard the age would be increased to 34, but I might be wrong

Actually the age they are talking about is 21... i mean 34 is a bit too old anyways wouldnt you think? And Death is right... the chances of them really starting up the draft again are slim to none

Colonel Sanders said:
I don't know why in the world I think it was vaporized, but I do think as much. I dunno what line, action, or what not gave me that impression, but I've got it, and I usually don't just draw conclusions out of nowhere.

I think I know why. Remember Bishop's remark to Ripley towards the end of the film as she is going to rescue Newt, something along the lines of the area being, "...turned into a cloud of vapor the size of Nebraska..."? I think that left viewers with the impression of an enormous explosion that would have taken out the colony, the derelict ship, and any remaining aliens sneaking around the general area.

Yes but that comment seemed to me to be more of a figure of speech or an adroid's attempt at humor. It was firmly stated earlier that the actual blast would have a radius of 30km - much smaller than Nebraska. The radioactive cloud of vapor that resulted from the explosion may very well have been the size of Nebraska, but that still would have left an intact derelict full of very resilient eggs.

Newt's parents died long ago though right? And when his father died, he left him and his brother and sister a block of ice-nine that they broke up and divided amongst themselves where they kept them in thermos jugs. And one day his brother used the ice-nine to buy himself a really cool job, his sister used it to get a tomcast husband, and little Newt used it to get himself a Russian midget dancer. He regretted nothing.

I'm not a big Kurt Vonnegut fan, but I can tell you that the Newt you speak of was the midget son of a crazy nuclear scientist who built a "Cat's Cradle."

Now gimme my prize!

You already spent it all when you assured everyone you were a heterosexual and that you had tons of gay friends. Bwaa haa haa ha!! Seriously though, I was just kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back