Fahrenheit 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live in a major city?

Hopefully people who do want to see it live in a major city.

Only 800 prints are being released this Friday, and nowhere within 2 1/2 hours of me is running it.

A normal movie gets 1800-2800 prints.

For all the hype and TV commercials all over the place, I couldn't see it if I wanted to. How cool is that?

McGruff said:
I have the AvP 2 game sitting in my closet as I speak. I have to get a computer a little newer than my 1997 model before I can play it.

Try setting down the sky details.

Fahrenheit 383129

TheRedDuke said:
So speaking of Fahrenheit 9/11, did anyone see the flak over the name of the movie and Ray Bradbury, author of Fahrenheit 451?
Heh, I'm not surprised Bradbury claims he wants to avoid litigation - if it came to that, he'd most likely be laughed out of court. As far as I know, you cannot copyright a title (indeed, newspapers often make use of book and film titles in their article titles, especially if the book or film in question evokes ideas related to the article). Furthermore, had there ever been a potential legal issue there, it would have been resolved already - no distributor would touch a film with unresolved legal issues attached.

Have you guys noticed that campaigning is more about making your opponent look worse than you?

I heard that the AvP movie is taking place in antarctica, during modern times...they should have colonial marines damnit!

Jumper said:
Hopefully people who do want to see it live in a major city.

Only 800 prints are being released this Friday, and nowhere within 2 1/2 hours of me is running it.

A normal movie gets 1800-2800 prints.

For all the hype and TV commercials all over the place, I couldn't see it if I wanted to. How cool is that?

The closest theater to me that its showing at is a half hour drive from my place. but then again everything is a half hour drive from my place

Bandit LOAF said:
Don't make me merge something else in here.

Sorry LOAF, what is it that you find so revolting about Michael Moore? Explain this to me. I like to hear your intelligent, and gracious opinion.

Nafé

Well, Al-Jazeera is an interesting station, but since no station carries the truth, all points have to be considered. (Not that Al-Jazeera is a station universally loved, either - they are also biased enough to anger many people in the middle east from their stance). Of course, we just know it for their frequent Osama videos (yet another spin by local media about the evils of this station).

As for the title, well, it was pretty clear. And this lawsuit is probably a great publicity stunt for Moore. Going on the premise that there's no such thing as bad publicity, it just puts the movie in the news continually. Instead of letting it die, it's now going to live on for a few more weeks in the newspaper. Can't really buy publicity like that.

Keep it going long enough, and it'll last till the election, which would probably be the ideal for Moore. Instead of the movie making a spash at Cannes and that's it, the buzz from the press, Disney (also an evil company - check out who's the backers behind several nasty laws), Bush, and now this... (which, given the rate lawsuits go, will put it in the news until halfway tot he next election, just enough to carry it from release, to DVD release (October, handily enough!), past the elections, at which point, no one will really care anymore about the case.

Brilliant.

BlackJack2064 said:
I heard that the AvP movie is taking place in antarctica, during modern times...they should have colonial marines damnit!

I had not heard this, but they SHOULD have left the idea well enough alone because 1: predators have been shown to be only marginally stronger than Danny Glover and would surely be given an alien asskicking, and 2: if they used their fancy dancy wristblades and such, they would receive a fatal facefull of acid. Antarctica? I thought predators like the tropics and then "Only in the hottest years". - And they should have Colonial Marines.

I don't find anything revolting about Michael Moore. Or the Alien movies.

Well, half the Alien movies.

BTW, Slate recently (as in a few days ago) had an article on F911, written by Christopher Hitchens, who is not exactly known for being a candidate for "Conservative of the Year". He wasn't terribly complementary about it. (A sample: "To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability.")

Hmm. I'd like to state my opinion as an foreigner. I never liked moore nor bush, but for moore I can give reasons while talking about the president seems far more complicated.

Moore is an entertainer, and I think most people know. When I am talking about his films and his books with my friends here in Germany, most of them think it is quite interesting , but nothing you should trust. Of course moore ist showing us what he wants us to believe. Only that we know it’s not right. And that makes him unbelievable .

With Bush, it’s different. As overmortal stated, judging a president is not an easy task. I think he was absolutely right in bringing War to Afghanistan. And as I remember nearly every country though he was right. With the war in Iraq it’s different. People could not quite see his reasons. (But ending the regime of Hussein is a very good reason for me) Only thing I see as a problem is what bush is going to do next? As I hear in the news, the war is far from being over, and is not going too well right now.

That an extreme-opinion being like moore uses this quite bad situation for his propaganda is understandable, but must not be a problem when everybody sees that what he says is overstated and only partly true.

It is important that people use the information available and try to find their own opinion, not taking over moore’s nor bush’s.

Hm, long post, but what I tried to say, as an non-american is that I think and hope that people are intelligent enough not to fall for the propaganda of either side…

McGruff said:
I had not heard this, but they SHOULD have left the idea well enough alone because 1: predators have been shown to be only marginally stronger than Danny Glover and would surely be given an alien asskicking, and 2: if they used their fancy dancy wristblades and such, they would receive a fatal facefull of acid. Antarctica? I thought predators like the tropics and then "Only in the hottest years". - And they should have Colonial Marines.

Shoulder cannon, pistol, and disc is very efficient against aliens. :mad:

BlackJack2064 said:
Have you guys noticed that campaigning is more about making your opponent look worse than you?

From what I read, it is. Lance Henrickson stars in it as well. Staring as a some reclusive billionaire named Weyland. (Yes, *that* Weyland).
Some of the screen shots do seem promising. But then again I said the same thing years ago when I heard about "Event Horizon". :eek:

McGruff said:

:D I was wondering when "Predator 2" problems would enter the conversation.
Funny how Danny Glover's character was able to easily track down the Predator when Arnold had some severe problems finding it (He had to lure it to him!)
As for the movie, I'm still giving it a chance. The plot has promise. But I am kinda surprised that Dark Horse has said nothing about this movie. Of course, considering what some of their comics were like, maybe that is a good thing as well. :p

TigerNobleHeart said:
Funny how Danny Glover's character was able to easily track down the Predator when Arnold had some severe problems finding it (He had to lure it to him!)

It's easier to track things in new york than it is in the jungle.
And it wasnt the same predator; The predator from P2 might not have been as skilled as the other predator.

I already know who wins. IIRC, the predator ship in P2 had an Alien skull/exoskelton/head in the trophy case :D.

And now that I've spoiled what would probably be an Oscar contender :rolleyes: , I propose a new film ... Predator/Alien vs. Micheal Moore. It'd be the shortest movie in history, but I'm sure that half the people who have responded to this thread would go see it :D

C-ya

I'd like to take this opportunity to appologize for my earlier statement "there's no one I'd like to see die mor than bush" I simply overstated my distaste for some of his policies and I am shocked at my own statemnt. In an effort to show non-bias I showed great bias. for this, I appologize.

-Rance-

I personally have high hopes for AvP... looks pretty good (i thought)

I think Ron Pearlman is pretty good. he was cool in Aliens 4, and I thought his role in Enemy at the Gates was pretty good... though i was pissed when he died...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back