Excellent job!

MadDog243

Rear Admiral
Hi there, I downloaded standoff yesterday and I must say I am blown away by how good a job was done making this game. I havent been around the forums in a long time but I remember when the game was being developed, and it is a real pleasure to see how it all came together, as well (obviously) as playing it! Well done all around!

Welcome back! User number 35! There's fewer than 160 people with "Jan 2000" join dates. It's always fun to see them around after more than 10 years.

Glad you enjoyed it!

And Chris...that's a great stat! I didn't realize there was so few of us with the "Jan 2000" join date.

Now I have to post just so I can see what my join date was...

Oh, and agree that Standoff is awesome.

OK, Jan 2006. Hmmm... not as early as I had thought. I know I visited this site while I was in late college and grad school, which was before that, but I guess I never registered...

Well, you know, apparently there's just 269 active users right now (though I have no idea how that's measured). And back then, I think most of us were a lot more talkative... I guess most of us must've been still in high school or university at that time. So, all in all, there was more talking going on than there is these days.

(as for what we talked about... well... you know... Wing Commander :) )

I still remember when the new forums went live and all of us raced to register when the guys told us the new CZ was ready. January 3, 2000 I think?

Well, you know, apparently there's just 269 active users right now (though I have no idea how that's measured). And back then, I think most of us were a lot more talkative... I guess most of us must've been still in high school or university at that time. So, all in all, there was more talking going on than there is these days.

(as for what we talked about... well... you know... Wing Commander :) )

Active Members measures the number of registered members who have logged in in the past 30 days. I think 259 is pretty good.

In 2000 we averaged 2-3 times as many posts as we get today (2001 was extremely busy with about 10 times as many posts as today).

All things considered, I think there was also a lot more to talk about back then. Not just because there was still hope that a new WC game was already in the works, but mainly because there was still a lot more controversial stuff to disagree over. The Movie was still very fresh on everyone's minds. The last of the non-Movie novels was still relatively recent, and the Movie-related novels were still coming out. Lots of new material, and so much to disagree about.

That said, we'd probably still find a lot of things to argue over these days (Star*Soldier is pretty great for that), so I guess it comes down to time.

Not just because there was still hope that a new WC game was already in the works

And in the early years of the CIC, there were new WC games still being developed at Origin. For that matter, as much as it might seem like some long desolate stretch of time to some people, there have been Wing Commander games in development for the majority (almost all?) of the time that the CIC has been around.

That said, we'd probably still find a lot of things to argue over these days (Star*Soldier is pretty great for that), so I guess it comes down to time.

I find the demographic mix of the CIC population kinda interesting. Even though we still get new signups here and new fans finding the series on a regular basis, we're largely the same generation that was here from the beginning. In other words, in ten years, almost all of our visitors aged about ten years. And there's a distinctly different amount of time and energy available to 16 year olds on summer break versus almost-30 year olds with jobs and families.

That sounds about right Chris. I know I have to be one of the youngest members here and even I'm 22 years old.

That sounds about right Chris. I know I have to be one of the youngest members here and even I'm 22 years old.
Jeepers... and here I thought you were a pimply-faced teenager. Come to think of it, I guess you were, back when you first started asking me questions about WC modding. Has it really been that long?

wow, guess I'm one of the young ones here too, I'm 22 as well. make sense though, I started playing wc2 when I was 7 which was a year or 2 after it came out (found it in a computer game bin at Staples for $10). I lurked here for a couple of years before finally registering, I was 16 when I registered, seems like a long time ago now haha.

I was very young when I started posting to these forums - about a month shy of my 14th birthday. I'll be turning 21 in September....can't believe its been seven years already.

Jeepers... and here I thought you were a pimply-faced teenager. Come to think of it, I guess you were, back when you first started asking me questions about WC modding. Has it really been that long?
Well, I know that I probably first started asking you questions about WC modding around nine years ago. :p

I first started getting involved in Wing Commander stuff online when I was 13, and more seriously when I was 14. And now I'm 28... so I've been here most of my life.

I think these numbers will hit home for a lot of people later this summer when we hit 12 years old at wcnews.com and 20 years for the Wing Commander series. Doesn't seem very long ago when we ran the big 10 year Wing Commander anniversary.... and here we are!

I'm about the same age as LOAF, Quarto and Chris, and started with WC2 when my dad bought a Sound Blaster for our 386, which came with a bunch of games - Wing Commander included. I think I must have been in the early teenage years too, at that time. o.o

Back