Error DLL not found

PANI

Spaceman
Error message: MSVBVM60.DLL not found

I play with win98 in ms virtual pc - anyone can help

640x480 software mod

hang on.... ;)

Lynx, I got that same error too, once, with Win98, and reported it to Eder... maybe it is some versions of Windows that don´t come with that dll.

PANI, post your e-mail and we´ll send the dll for you, or just type its name on google and you´ll have plenty of places to download it from.

Just remember to store the dll in \windows\system.

I thougt in a virtual pc all wc-games would work - i have win2000 an wcso wont work, ue also.... now in the virtual pc wcp and so work but ue and standoff dont..... :(

wc1-4 work fine in the virtual pc too....

ok - i took the dll form my windows 2000 system32 directory - so i come to the standoff options menü, but i cant play -> "please re-run the install programm. (GL::resize query failed)" - no 3D support in vp2004.... :(

You should try the Win2k tips from the other thread instead of Virtual PC... because if it doesn't have Direct3D support, Standoff won't run.

No software mode? Was there any particular reason for this? I wouldn't have thought it'd be too hard having a software mode, is there something special that has to be done? I thought this would all be part of the game engine...

We didn't really care for software mode while making the game, much like we didn't care for Glide. The whole team was using D3D, so the game always worked great for everyone which was testing it. :p When we got to test Glide and Software mode a few weeks before the release, just to figure out wheter to remove them from the launcher options or leave them there with a note saying "unsupported", we saw that they were both broken, and we weren't about to re-do half the game to fix them (specially software, since we had already said here on the forums that it wasn't gonna be supported, long before we were close to finishing up our first release).

Software actually works for 2 minutes or so before it freezes the computer completely. Glide freezes up on weird circumstances (when you fly the Stiletto, missions won't even launch, for example), but all the textures are misaligned. I suspect the lock ups are a case of Glide and Software being unable to handle the stress we're putting on the engine as well as D3D does.

I have to disagree with Eder a bit re Glide mode. The Stiletto doesn't work, all cockpits and some HUD components have texture corruptions and the engine of the mothership has a texture corruption. Besides these the game seems to work fine in Glide. I never got a version that could do software so I cannot comment on that one. However who has a graphic card that cannot do D3D these days?

That's incredible. Was there only one set of models/textures in the original game for all three (software, D3D, Glide) modes?

Wedge009 said:
That's incredible. Was there only one set of models/textures in the original game for all three (software, D3D, Glide) modes?
Yes. Origin probably just knew what they could and couldn't do with the textures before they started making the models... unlike me. :p

Actually, the VDU image of each ship had two versions, one for software and one for Glide/D3D. The original crash we had in software mode was simply because we were lacking the software mode VDU images, so then I made copies of the D3D VDU images and tested again... software worked for two minutes with some texture corruption and crashed. It also got a top speed of some 3 frames per second.

cff said:
I have to disagree with Eder a bit re Glide mode. The Stiletto doesn't work, all cockpits and some HUD components have texture corruptions and the engine of the mothership has a texture corruption.
That's not entirely accurate though. Try booting up in Glide mode and checking out the object viewer... every ship has some degree of texture corruption, except for the ones which use very simple texture alignment.

cff said:
Besides these the game seems to work fine in Glide.
Yes, beside the texture corruption in 80% of all textures and the random and unexplainable crashing with the Stiletto (which is only what, 1 out of 3 ships we've tested? :p), I suppose it does work fine. ;)

Eder said:
Actually, the VDU image of each ship had two versions, one for software and one for Glide/D3D.
Yeah, I vaguely recall the software VDU images being sort of 'solid' or chunky in comparison with the D3D mode.

Eder said:
It also got a top speed of some 3 frames per second.
:eek:

Software mode is completely processor and RAM dependent. All the work that your video processor and video RAM would do in a hardware-accelerated mode (like d3d or glide or opengl) is all delegated to the system processor and RAM. While vanilla Secret Ops will do pretty well on lower end machines in software mode with its simpler models and textures, but Standoff is hardly vanilla Secret Ops.

Back