Episode I - 10 Years in Retrospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezri

Swabbie
Banned
On May 19, 1999 AD, the most anticipated film of all time was released in theaters. This movie was Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, a prequel to the rest of the Star Wars trilogy, The Phantom Menace takes place 37 years prior to the events in A New Hope. Now we celebrate 10 years since the revival of the Star Wars film saga, and 10 years since the release of Episode I. Feel free to share your EP1 stories, thoughts on the movie, the hype, and whether or not you remember the day it came out in theaters or not. I personally do not recall the day that EP1 came out, since I was like 8, but I wish I did. One thing I do remember though is all the merchandise for the film. I kind of got the idea to make this thread because I watched Fanboys yesterday (September 8, 2009 AD). So cheers to 10 years to Episode I, and cheers to you, the fans and readers of my topic. Please, feel free to reply.

Back then it seemed reasonably good, might have even compared to Jedi, but it hasn't aged well. 2 & 3 aren't as good as the old ones and they're still clearly better than 1.

I can take the race. Long streched out scene, but one of the better elements of the film.
The kid may be annoying, but certainly no worse than in next two films.
Jar Jar... well the ewoks (at worst) were almost as bad.

But Episode 1 fails badly in the two main events of SW movies: space combat and lightsaber duel.
OK, some may argue the final duels are cool, but just campare to any in 2 or 3. Particularly the finishing moves; why the heck would you stab with lightsaber and pull it out clean? And Obi-Wan stands like for a second there after jump before slicing Maul (apparently stunned from amazement).

Have to say, the more times I see it the worse it gets (compared to all others). Don't even get me started with midichlorians.

The most positive thing is the music. The best scene of the movie is the first short encounter of Maul and Jinn.

When it first came out It was what, 2-3 years after they had released the old Trilogy enhanced? That was what sparked my interest in Ep 1. Cept I saw it on an extremely miserable day in the North Bay where the theater's AC was out.

The movie hasn't aged well of course, but if I ever want to remember being a kid playing Star Wars: Racer on my N64 or playing the hilariously underrated Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles? I'll watch that movie over the others. Also, Jar Jar...Ten times the pain than Ewoks. At least ewoks were hilariously, and cute, and little people in suits. Jar-Jar...Well...Not at all. I liked my comic relief from a robot.

Thank you for specifying the 'AD' (twice), as I frequently forget whether Star Wars came out when I was in High School or if it was during the reign of the mighty Pharaoh Mentuhotep III.

What are these "prequel" things that you are talking about? There are only three Star Wars movies!

Just like there are exactly two Indiana Jones movies... :)

Thank you for specifying the 'AD' (twice), as I frequently forget whether Star Wars came out when I was in High School or if it was during the reign of the mighty Pharaoh Mentuhotep III.

I am really impressed with the effort you must have taken to check exatly witch Pharaoh rulled at an exact BC date that corresponds in number to the AD date Star Wars was released.

BTW as we know Star Wars take place Long time ago, witch may very well correspond to the rule of Mentuhotep III. What do you think?

Episodes 4-6 were as much in their day about groundbreaking special effects as they were about story. It felt a lot like the latter was forgotten about in Episode 1.

It was largely special effects driven. It had no heart or emotion to it. I was very disappointed with it originally, and still am to this day.

I think the real mistake was to take Episode 1 too far back in the timeline. 2&3 just couldn't possibly bridge the gap between 1&4 and this made the story move on fastforward.
I mean it's nice they (more or less) explain everything in the end of 3, but it's still silly to have half of the story in couple minutes.

The problem with Ep1 is that it doesn't really start till after the pod race. It's actually not too bad once you get past all that. Otherwise everything just drags on prior to the race and feels pointless. The CGI was (even at the time) also very cartoon feeling, which really didn't live up to the dismemberment and scorched corpses of Ep4...

I think the real mistake was to take Episode 1 too far back in the timeline. 2&3 just couldn't possibly bridge the gap between 1&4 and this made the story move on fastforward.
I mean it's nice they (more or less) explain everything in the end of 3, but it's still silly to have half of the story in couple minutes.

Would have sufficed if EP1 had started halfway through EP2 with minor plot reworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back