Episode 3 question

I got into episode 3 tonight. I seem to have hit a problem on the save the two destroyers mission. I can save the second one just fine. But the first one always seems to get blown to pieces. Then it says I failed the mission.

How do you save it?

It blows up so consistantly I'm beginning to think it's scripted to die.

Was that the Sao Paolo? Really difficult one for me too.

You just have to take out enemy bombers soon enough. Grikaths I think. I've had to shoot an incoming torpedo, but I'm sure that doesn't always happen.

You can dig through some of the old threads for tactics on this one, but I'll summarize one very reliable method - park yourself near the Sao Paolo's remaining engine and stand guard. Don't get distracted - the Sao Paolo is badly damaged and will fall to one hit, so you must stay there and stop any incoming torpedoes.

This will definitely not maximize your kill count but it is a fairly reliable way to succeed on this mission.

In any case, it's definitely not scripted to die. We do script things like that sometimes, but this is not such a situation.

Toast has posted the best method for saving the Sao Paulo. Hang out near it's engine, use your nav map to find out which bombers are targeting it, and shoot them down as well as any torps they launch.

I actually just checked my rough version of the Standoff guide and it even mentions this for this mission because so many people had trouble with it.

It's very similar to STW M13 (Ep5 Mission 3) when it seems really hard to save the Grunwald, unless you use the nav map a lot to get those Grikaths and Gothris

Toast has posted the best method for saving the Sao Paulo. Hang out near it's engine, use your nav map to find out which bombers are targeting it, and shoot them down as well as any torps they launch.

This has been what has always worked for me, I like to hang out near the engine, intercept a torpedo, then kill the bomber and any other that may be close by.

Its important to kill the bombers quick otherwise you'll face multiple torpedoes coming at the Sao Paulo at once.

Hey was the Saratoga scripted to die? I've tried to save it roughly 8 times and can't seem to do so.

Yeah... if the Saratoga survives, she'll even get a second chance to die - but it certainly is possible to save her.

Question about E2 mission 3 (First Engagement): how can I fail it?

The mission wont end before I've met the kamekhs. Wingmen will likely destroy them thus accomplishing the mission, but when that didn't happen the kamekhs started following me to Firekka (I had of course had to destroy their fighters trying to kill me) and then the 3 rapiers protecting F go destroy them.

I can't figure out how to lose.

I'm just wondering about the mission "4B" in the mission chart

btw funny thing happened to me with that Ralatha: I don't think I've ever before blown a bridge with a torp locked to engines :p

Your best bet to get to 4B is to eject or to keep your wingmen in formation as much as possible and then retreat away from the nav.

Ejection is probably the best route.

Yeah... if the Saratoga survives, she'll even get a second chance to die - but it certainly is possible to save her.

Well hell...now I feel like a heel. I felt better when the line of "...there was NO WAY to save the Saratoga". Which I *thought* indicated a script. Crappola...

Nope...that's just a "don't feel bad" line. She can be saved all the way to the end of the game. Same with the Grunwald. In the first mission, just watch the nav map. The first bombers go after the Grunwald like crazy, but once it's down they will go after the Sara and the destroyers.
then a new group will show up (2 grikaths and 2 Vatari IIRC) from off to the side and will try to finish off the Sara

Back