Epee Gripes.

That's true but because it has decent armor the shields seem better. :)

How odd. It always felt like the armor on a Sabre was kind of thin; once they knocked down the remarkably quick-to-recharge shields, it always seemed like they battered down my Sabre's armor very, very quickly...

I was thinking exactly the same thing. As fast as the shields charged, they were knocked down even faster. Not only did the armor seem thin for a heavy, the internal systems seemed awfully fragile when the craft was taking any punishment at all.

(That's my Sabre gripe)

I agree with the gripe McGruff, interal systems assembled in India or some 3rd world country guess they are still outsourcing even in the 27th century. :)

All the WC2 ships had no endurance - except the Broad and the Ferret.
But amongst all those paper armor ships the Sabre was the best - it had adequate shields, nice enough guns, and its speed and agility were good enough.

So... Please stop kicking the poor Sabre. It ain't anything bad - just ... not best at each category. There is no superiority fighter in WC2 (like WCIII, WCiV HellCat), but Sabre is the closest thing.

So... Please stop kicking the poor Sabre. It ain't anything bad - just ... not best at each category. There is no superiority fighter in WC2 (like WCIII, WCiV HellCat), but Sabre is the closest thing.

Still, it billed itself as a Heavy Fighter. It was a thoroughly adequate multi-role fighter, but it never suited my style at all. I greatly preferred the other fighters to the Sabre... be it Ferret, Epee, Broadsword, and even the Rapier (though I confess once I started getting ITTS, I hated not having it).

Heck, I even kinda liked the Crossbow, once you figured out how to work its zany gun layout.

Still, it billed itself as a Heavy Fighter. It was a thoroughly adequate multi-role fighter, but it never suited my style at all. I greatly preferred the other fighters to the Sabre... be it Ferret, Epee, Broadsword, and even the Rapier (though I confess once I started getting ITTS, I hated not having it).

The Sabre had a turet, four mass drivers/particles and six targeting (plus two DF) missiles. I didn't think the shields and armor were that great, but they were stronger than anything but the Broadsword in WC2. It would have been better if it had the defenses of the later Morningstar, but that fighter had a weaker gun loadout, no turret and fewer missiles. I'd have a hard time not calling the Sabre a Heavy Fighter.

Except for not having torpedo capability, I would MUCH rather be in a Rapier for the final WC2 mission.

Except for not having torpedo capability, I would MUCH rather be in a Rapier for the final WC2 mission.

Hellcat would be better than Rapier.
Better shields, more up-to-date cannons, ITTS, too ... :)

And I'd NEVER take Epee against Thrakhath! He's an ace after all, and you can't be THAT EVASIVE to never get hit.

Hellcat would be better than Rapier.
Better shields, more up-to-date cannons, ITTS, too ... :)

And I'd NEVER take Epee against Thrakhath! He's an ace after all, and you can't be THAT EVASIVE to never get hit.

Hellcat WOULD be better then the Rapier, if it could actually move. The damn thing was slow as hell, and very unmaneuverable!

I agree. Except for the afterburners, the Hellcat had barely more speed and maneuverability than the Thunderbolt--you get 420 and 60/60/60 instead of 380 and 50/50/50. If you got 450 and 65/65/65 instead, it might have felt worth the loss in gunpower.

I agree here. The things you lost in the Hellcat V when compared to the Arrow or T-Bolt never seemed to be compensated by the things you gained.

The Rapier II on the other hand was very good and beautiful.

Yet against Thrakhath Hellcat would still be better choice than Sabre, of that I am sure. The Epee would be just too weak, the Thunder - just too slow (not mentioning the Longbow).
Arrow would be nice, maybe... But Hellcat still seems to me the best in THAT situation. Blow the fighters, kill the turrets of the K'Tik'rak'Mang, and call for bombers...

And, dear Excalibur and Dragon lovers - don't forget that those ships just don't exist yet when Blair fights Thrakath for the first time :)

Blow the fighters, kill the turrets of the K'Tik'rak'Mang, and call for bombers...

But an organized bombing mission was planned to take out the station - until Blair went rogue, stole a Sabre, and decided to do it all by himself. A Hellcat wouldn't have worked for that.

Hellcat would have worked against Thrakhath, who would have easily eliminated Angel and her wingmen, for we all know that no-one but Blair (and maybe Todd the Great ;) ) was a real threat for his Highness. The base itself was not a diffcult target, the Prince - was.

Well, based on the need to have at least 2 torpedoes, and also the need to be able to dogfight decently, the Sabre was really the only viable choice at the time--all of the other craft that we know of that were available then either could not carry 2 torps, or were slower than the Sabre.

Psh. You kidding? Thrak's whole dogfighting abilities sucked. After his missiles went out I could've iced him in a broadsword, given Kilrathi dogfighting tactics.

Or maybe I'm overconfident. But I did love how NOTHING could ever penetrate my broadsword... EVER. But everything died against it.

If you weren't careful on bombing runs, capship AMGs can put a serious dent in the Broadsword's defences.

Or maybe I'm overconfident. But I did love how NOTHING could ever penetrate my broadsword... EVER. But everything died against it.

Pray tell us how you have managed to complete the "second chance" mission against two AMG-firing Fralthra and its complement of Gothris in Special Operations 1 :)

Back