Epee Gripes.

Right, which is the job the Epee should have been able to do. As balanced as the Particle gun is, it just didn't have the same stopping power. It seems that Confed never put out a fighter that used only neutron guns(at least not a flyable one), which I think is a shame.

And maybe it is not a **shame**...
Maybe it is just Paulsen and likes of him - who know nothing of real space combat?
Who knows... Maybe, there were lots of designs which gave no profit to Confed's corrupt beaurocrates, and were "officially" declined ?

I'm not sure what beurocracy has to do with which guns go on fighters (though I suppose there may be some connection), but I have indeed noticed Confed's tendency to replace neutron guns with particle cannons.

The rapier II, then the Hellcat. I'm sure there were more we just didn't see. I always assumed that, if government had any hand in that change whatsoever, it was a cost factor. Neutrons pack a serious wallop, but cost 25% more to produce? Go to the particle cannon which is *almost* as effective, sort of, in damage quotas, but more economical. [Edit: I pulled that cost difference out of my rear. I have no proof of the cost of either device!]

Or it may have indeed been a combat veterans decision. Neutron guns have punch, but short range. So, substitute the particle cannon which has less punch, but more range. That way, you don't have to get as close to Kilrathi fighters; you can soften them up from a distance, then close in on a wounded prey, or possibly go for a missile kill.

If Confed needed both range and power, then a p.c. / neutron combo would be just great.

And I believe that old Raptor in WC2 era would still be damn effective craft. Because of mass-drivers' rapid fire, and neutrons' heavy punch.

P.S.
Jalthis were lethal enemies because of smart weapon load - four lasers for distance, two neutrons to kick at close.

P.P.S.
Isn't there a ship editor for WC2? so that we could replace epee's pc with ng, and try it that way?

I wonder if adding NG's would have increased the survival rate and fighting abilities of the Epee.

I think it would. I've been debating putting this up, but since we've been talking about how to improve the Epee, I thought now would be a good time to throw this out there. I did the best I could to keep it from being "overpowered" so here goes... I re-did the armor specs to go front and rear, its always been my experience that thats where these fighters get shot up. I didn't really have much to work with on the shields, so I kept them the same. The loadout was improved upon for quick strike action, and her length was increase slightly to handle a better drive system.

F-54B Seeker Epee

Class: Interceptor/Light Fighter

Length: 13.2 meters

Mass: 13.5 metric tonnes

Max Velocity: 500 kps

Cruise Velocity: 270 kps

Acceleration: Excellent

Max Afterburner Velocity: 1360 kps

Max Y/P/R: 8/8/8 deg/s

Guns: Neutron Guns (2)

Torpedo Hardpoints: N/A

Missile Hardpoints: 2x1 DF, 2x1 IFF

Missile Decoys: N/A

Front Shield: 6 cm

Rear Shield: 6 cm

Front Armor: 4 cm

Rear Armor: 4 cm

Right/Left Armor: 2 cm

Jump Capable: No

Attachments

• wc2epee.jpg
    wc2epee.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 128
I think fitting neutron guns on an Epee would worsen its survivability, because the decreased firing rate increases the pilot's time exposed to danger.

With the particle cannons, the pilot can remove an enemy fighter on the first pass at long range, improving his/her odds.

Also, the Epee is not suitable to prolonged close-in turning fights as it would usually result in a lethal collision. Fitting neutron guns would limit the pilot to using this tactic...

Another vote for Epee.. I always liked it in Wing 2. Much better than the Rapier (IMHO), extremly agile, fast, good canons, ITTS, armour? who needs armour! (OK it is useful sometimes.. :p). It's good for quick interception/short fight not for long battles with many enemies I think.

I think fitting neutron guns on an Epee would worsen its survivability, because the decreased firing rate increases the pilot's time exposed to danger.

With the particle cannons, the pilot can remove an enemy fighter on the first pass at long range, improving his/her odds.

Also, the Epee is not suitable to prolonged close-in turning fights as it would usually result in a lethal collision. Fitting neutron guns would limit the pilot to using this tactic...

Yeah i factored that in. The Seeker isn't built for dogfighting. This one is designed to move in, knock out the enemy quickly with its first volley, use the missiles while the blaster recharges, hit em with the second volley, charge out with the afterburners, then move in again when the blaster recharges. Standard hit and run tactics.

Yeah i factored that in. The Seeker isn't built for dogfighting. This one is designed to move in, knock out the enemy quickly with its first volley, use the missiles while the blaster recharges, hit em with the second volley, charge out with the afterburners, then move in again when the blaster recharges. Standard hit and run tactics.

The standard Epee with the particle cannons is perfect for the scenario you have described. It gives the pilot more time to fire from a longer range during his standard hit-and-run pass. It lets the pilot complete each of his hit-and-run approaches earlier and from a further distance.

Long range weapons plus the ability to stay out of range is always a winning combination.

Much better than the Rapier (IMHO)

The weakness of the WC2 Rapier comes from its painfully slow shield recharge rate. (Use an editor or substitute the cockpit from another ship with numerical displays to see what I mean).

It would be much more resilient if its shields are like those from a Sabre.

The weakness of the WC2 Rapier comes from its painfully slow shield recharge rate. (Use an editor or substitute the cockpit from another ship with numerical displays to see what I mean).

It would be much more resilient if its shields are like those from a Sabre.

The recharge rate on a sabre is ok, but they are also paper thin!

The standard Epee with the particle cannons is perfect for the scenario you have described. It gives the pilot more time to fire from a longer range during his standard hit-and-run pass. It lets the pilot complete each of his hit-and-run approaches earlier and from a further distance.

Long range weapons plus the ability to stay out of range is always a winning combination.

Right, I couldn't see trying to get close enough in an Epee to use those neutron guns. They would take away one of its only small advantages, which is weapon range.

Back