Enterprise Officially Cancelled

Spien

Spaceman
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=30302

Love it or hate it Enterprise will wrap up in May making it the first Trek since the original to not make it a full seven seasons.

Personally I was never a big fan, but some episodes were pretty interesting and I'm sad to see any decent science fiction go out.

So is this the end of Star Trek? I doubt it. Do you think they'll get another series in the works right away or let the franchise hang in limbo for a while? Then there's those motion picture rumors but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Darned. At first I didn't like it too much, but now that it has improved, they are canceling it. :(

I agree. It really has gotten better. It's a pity they won't give it one more season to see if it continues to improve. Alas. :(

I'm guessing they will release another motion picture. If it does well, they may start work on another series. However, since the last movie flopped and Enterprise didn't do well, we might have seen all the Star Trek we're going to see for a while.

For better or for worse, Star Trek has been a constant in our lives. For eighteen years we have taken for granted the amazing fact that there would be a new adventure to enjoy each week. Eighteen years... it's amazing to think about it. I've watched new episodes of Star Trek since I was five years old.

So, Enterprise is cancelled -- and for what? Congratulations on a hard won victory, modern cynicism. Get out the champaign, gloat at your message boards and look forward to finding out who America's Next Top Model will be for years to come.

I could borrow the common egotism of my generation and scream righteous indignation at what this news says has become of society. I could damn all those who never understood the show beyond an ability to complain about what color phasers should not be for their role in this idiocy. I could rage against everyone who insists that their flavor of the month, which surely owes the whole of its existence to Star Trek in the first place, is the way of the future. It doesn't matter now: something we loved is gone.

There will be ten new episodes of Star Trek. Be sure to enjoy them.

You never know DVD sales may do really well, and then make Paramount think "Hey people like Enterprise, lets bring it back", that happened with Family Guy (yes I know it's a cartoon, and abit different than a life-action series)

I've watched two full episodes of Enterprise since its been on the air. I've heard good things about it and I'm sorry to see it go even thought I never really caught it.

I think that the ST franchise needs some retooling - the last three movies didn't do anything for me (though most people will cite only the last two) and the thought of Voyager usually gives me indigestion. But I don't think that canceling the first decent series in a while is a good idea - one step forward, three steps back.

I haven't seen much of Enterprise, part of the problem is that it is only on at 12am (midnight) on saturday where I live. I don't know if the time slot was due to the less than desired viewers or resulted in the low viewer turnout. From what I have seen of the series though I find interesting. If Enterprise were to come out on DVD in the future I think I would pick it up.

What a shame. I really liked Enterprise a lot. So many good series get cancelled before their time...
Together with "Dead Like Me" and "Father of the Pride" I'll miss it dearly.
At least the DVD release will come quite quickly (all scheduled within the year).

That's a damn shame. I'll admit that I rarely watched it (but then I haven't watched any show when it was running ever, really), but it was always interesting to follow it and see where it was heading - and where it could go. Guess we'll never know now.

ck9791 said:
I haven't seen much of Enterprise, part of the problem is that it is only on at 12am (midnight) on saturday where I live. I don't know if the time slot was due to the less than desired viewers or resulted in the low viewer turnout. From what I have seen of the series though I find interesting. If Enterprise were to come out on DVD in the future I think I would pick it up.
The first season is supposed to hit DVD soon, not sure of the exact date but before summer.
When I first heard that Scott Bakula was going to play Captain Archer I was wondering where they would put Dean Stockwell. :D
Seriously though, I really liked Enterprise from the very start. It had a nice blend of the original series's focus on action and the Next Gen series sort of Sci-Realism. I love the new season, now that they've done what I've always hoped and added writers from the book pools to pen the episodes.
I'll miss it when it eventually goes, but I've been hearing cancellation rumors since the first season, so I'll wait and see and enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Eleazar said:
What a shame. I really liked Enterprise a lot. So many good series get cancelled before their time...
Together with "Dead Like Me" and "Father of the Pride" I'll miss it dearly.
At least the DVD release will come quite quickly (all scheduled within the year).

Crusade comes to mind. I'll miss them both; I was just starting to get into Enterprise, too.

Reading what a lot of people have to say... I have to agree that I think that time slots were the killer. There was a time when Star Trek would have been on primetime on at least one major network. Back in my home in the States (where I'm NOT right now... damn army...) I wouldn't be able to watch it unless I had access to UPN, and the drive to stay up until 2300 every night on the off chance that they finally played the thing when they were supposed to. Remember Next Generation being on somewhere that you could watch it at least once a week? Primetime's face is beginning to change... and I'm not really sure that I like the change. There was a time that you could enjoy a wide variety of family entertainment... but now unless you like sitcoms and reality shows, you're SOL.

MMhh... i can see this coming:

Star Trek: The Next Century's Generation
The Adventures of the Enterprise-J
A Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi,Humans,Vulcans :(

FlashFire82 said:
Reading what a lot of people have to say... I have to agree that I think that time slots were the killer. There was a time when Star Trek would have been on primetime on at least one major network. Back in my home in the States (where I'm NOT right now... damn army...) I wouldn't be able to watch it unless I had access to UPN, and the drive to stay up until 2300 every night on the off chance that they finally played the thing when they were supposed to. Remember Next Generation being on somewhere that you could watch it at least once a week? Primetime's face is beginning to change... and I'm not really sure that I like the change. There was a time that you could enjoy a wide variety of family entertainment... but now unless you like sitcoms and reality shows, you're SOL.

I remember the reruns of the earlier seasons Next Generation being shown at 10:30pm on weeknights, and then the new episodes were shown at I think 6pm on saturday. I didn't get into the show until season 4 or 5, but i remember watching the new episode each saturday and then catching up with the earlier seasons on weeknights. And when DS9 came out it was shown at 9pm on thursday's i think. A lot better than midnight on saturday.

Got to agree time slots blew chunks. First of all, in Iowa (and other parts of the midwest) you don't get to watch UPN unless you have cable and surprisingly there's a lot of people who don't have cable...so that rules out a good number. Secondly those who do have cable would have to wait until like 11pm at night to watch, which on weeknights was a killer. Thirdly, they didn't keep those timeslots constant either which blew some further chunks. If they kept it like 7:00 on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night then that show would have kicked some serious numbers. Crazy. Very sad to see it go.

I never supported Enterprise much. For no particular reason. It just never occured to me to ever watch it though I am a huge Star Trek fan. I'm probably come to appreciated more as it is syndicated on some other network. That's how Futurama was for me. Never watched it on Fox but I've been seriously enjoying it as of late on Cartoon Network.

Back